CastAway

Notable Coronavirus Victims

He must have had a second smartphone hidden somewhere!

1 hour ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

Labour MP Toby Perkins has revealed he was diagnosed with coronavirus on Christmas eve and it has hit him pretty badly. 

Apparently it causes unnecessary commas too! ^_^

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, adrian0719 said:

Louisiana Congressman-elect, Luke Letlow, dead at 41 of COVID-19. 

Considered him for a couple of deadpools because he'd been hospitalized. Knew he'd either go within a couple of weeks or recover and be fine. That really was quick, though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, adrian0719 said:

• Haha 1

Cynical but true. US set a new low, narcissistic capitalism at top, always think those who will die are "necessary deaths" or even undesirable people. According to that Eric Trump dork, Americans who died of COVID are "virtually nothing". The virus showed the real face of this Republican scum who puts economy above all, not even understanding that economy will die if the pandemic is not solved before.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

5 hours ago, adrian0719 said:

On a marginal note - he won in a run-off against a fellow Republican, so the political representation and balance of power is unlikely to change when he's replaced

5 hours ago, Joey Russ said:

That’s very unlucky, and I don’t see it as some kind of poetic justice from his word. The mortality rate for his age group (20-44) is given as just ~0.1% in U.S. Gov statistics, and that includes those with underlying conditions. The idea that the elderly (60+) and vulnerable should shield whilst everyone else gets on with their lives makes sense to me. We don’t know much about his health record, he would have almost certainly had an underlying condition.

Sadly he leaves behind a wife and two young children. The comments on that tweet are absolutely disgusting. I thought the trolls in the UK were bad.

• Like 3

It is sad, expecially for his family. But how many Americans his age or less (absolute number, not percentages) have lost their lives mainly because their President convinced them there was no danger at all? Trying to ridicule the problem is an approach that simply does not work. Everyone could be in danger and statistics won't give your life back. COVID is the kind of stupid virus that fails to kill Saleh Ajeery or Meshulam Soloveitchik and yet kills this guy with no underlying conditions. Vehiculating the message it is just a flu is dangerous (and that's what a big part of GOP did during the past months). You push people not to take precautions and it can ruin their lives. I never missed a day at work since March, I got all possible precautions and never got infected, even using public transport extensively. If everyone had followed rules this would have been a much smaller problem, it is horrible that US government at some point was ouright ridiculing the whole thing.

Letlow was a moderate in this sense and should not be derided after death. Whereas average Hermain Cain acted like an utter cunt and lot of GOPs followed his example.

• Like 4

Beside that, how do you shield 60+ years old in our society? Government wants 58-year old me with some risk factors, to continue go to work, at least for other 5-6 years and most colleagues are my age or above. How should we isolate? And then everyone would protest because he is not allowed to visit his parents/grandparents and parents/grandparents will protest because they are not allowed to see their children. The whole idea is fine for nursing home residents, i.e. avoid contact to shield them until they get the vaccine, but shielding millions of over 60 which still go to work each day is unrealistic.

3 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

That’s very unlucky, and I don’t see it as some kind of poetic justice from his word. The mortality rate for his age group (20-44) is given as just ~0.1% in U.S. Gov statistics, and that includes those with underlying conditions. The idea that the elderly (60+) and vulnerable should shield whilst everyone else gets on with their lives makes sense to me. We don’t know much about his health record, he would have almost certainly had an underlying condition.

Sadly he leaves behind a wife and two young children. The comments on that tweet are absolutely disgusting. I thought the trolls in the UK were bad.

There is this horrible phenomenon whereby those who claim to be most concerned about Covid are actively in some cases willing anyone who disagrees with them to die from COVID.Reminds me of religious fanatics and burning of witches at the stake.

• Like 1

Even if you manage to isolate all over 60s, the mortality rate is not the only thing you should look at. How many of infected would need hospitalization? A free diffusion of the virus would mean a rapid increase in hospitalizations, the percentage low as you want. Therefore the health system would be under stress again and the number of deaths from other illnesses among over 60s will increase because hospitals are full, so wil inevitably increase the number of COVID and non-COVID deaths in under 60s. Only way to avoid that is keeping precautions (which limits the number of available activities, indeed) and hope it is over soon. Any other strategy is a failure.

39 minutes ago, drol said:

Even if you manage to isolate all over 60s, the mortality rate is not the only thing you should look at. How many of infected would need hospitalization? A free diffusion of the virus would mean a rapid increase in hospitalizations, the percentage low as you want. Therefore the health system would be under stress again and the number of deaths from other illnesses among over 60s will increase because hospitals are full, so wil inevitably increase the number of COVID and non-COVID deaths in under 60s. Only way to avoid that is keeping precautions (which limits the number of available activities, indeed) and hope it is over soon. Any other strategy is a failure.

I want to share my own shocking discovery. I noticed a big increase in number of deaths among notable people on "list of deaths by year" wikipedia page this year so I did some research. I checked the number of deaths each month in previous years and in 2020:

2015 Mar 603, Apr 587, May 524, Jun 539, Jul 517, Aug 474

2016 Mar 657, Apr 549, May 537, Jun 543, Jul 554, Aug 524

2017 Mar 634, Apr 545, May 562, Jun 539, Jul 549, Aug 541

2018 Mar 653, Apr 570, May 568, Jun 585, Jul 561, Aug 574

2019 Mar 665, Apr 621, May 621, Jun 626, Jul 639, Aug 580

as you can see, the number of deaths in those months previous years has been stable, and then comes 2020

2020 Mar 917 (118 from covid), Apr 1147!! (237 covid), May 850 (87 covid), Jun 863 (56 covid), Jul 871 (65 covid), Aug 822 (52)

as you can see, the increase in number of deaths this year on this page is enormous BUT it can't be explained by covid deaths because the number is much higher than average even without covid deaths. Just look at April, the average number of deaths in that month is around 570, and this year we have 1147, without covid 910. The number is around 340 higher even without deaths from covid and every other month is the same. All this information is very easy to check on "list of deaths by year" wikipedia page. I have my theory why this happened, but I'd like to hear other opinions too. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Tower1 said:

I want to share my own shocking discovery. I noticed a big increase in number of deaths among notable people on "list of deaths by year" wikipedia page this year so I did some research. I checked the number of deaths each month in previous years and in 2020:

as you can see, the number of deaths in those months previous years has been stable, and then comes 2020

2020 Mar 917 (118 from covid), Apr 1147!! (237 covid), May 850 (87 covid), Jun 863 (56 covid), Jul 871 (65 covid), Aug 822 (52)

as you can see, the increase in number of deaths this year on this page is enormous BUT it can't be explained by covid deaths because the number is much higher than average even without covid deaths. Just look at April, the average number of deaths in that month is around 570, and this year we have 1147, without covid 910. The number is around 340 higher even without deaths from covid and every other month is the same. All this information is very easy to check on "list of deaths by year" wikipedia page. I have my theory why this happened, but I'd like to hear other opinions too. 

Every five to ten years, we seem to have a surge of celebrity deaths.  2003 had a ton of celebrity deaths.   2009 as well.  2016 was a notable year for celebrity deaths, and even 2018 had a ton of marquee names.  

2020 probably tops it all though including 2016 (which was infamous for the number of high profile deaths) and 2009 (Michael Jackson's death dominated headlines, but media noted it was a noteworthy year for celebrity deaths).  

Celebrity deaths tend to come in cycles.  Some years, we get a ton of big names pass away, and some years, not many.  

I actually predict 2021 to not have as many high profile deaths, particularly b/c all the big names who were predicted to die have already passed away, e.g. Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Alex Trebek, John Lewis, etc.  

Rush Limbaugh right now is the slated headliner for 2021, b/c really he's the only celebrity left I can think of who's publicly battling a terminal illness (only other names I can think of are Shannen Doherty and David Crosby) but I think we could be losing Jimmy Carter as well (just a hunch). 

Wiki tends to have many more articles nowadays. And this year many were created after redlinks being added to that page.

• Like 1

I'd say there is a difference between "celebrities" and "genuinely talented people".

The climate where every minor reality personality is deemed a "celebrity" will only increase the number of "celebrity deaths". These attention seeking fame whores are increasingly edging out obituaries of even the most beloved of character actors, writers, etc etc. 10 years ago maybe even 20 folk like Geoff Stephens/Philip Martin for example would have got a good and detailed write up within a few days.

But no, too much hard work. And the period for write up in our 24 hour news cycle is so small it seems these days, they are forgotten and move on, granting some nobody who was wheeled on to talk about their cancer and who dies young instant fame. (Thank goodness there was somebody prepared to do the work on Philip Latham!).

So anyway, "celebrity" deaths will inevitably increase, it's just the vast majority of folk won't give a shit.

• Sad 1

46 minutes ago, Tower1 said:

On the bright side, that's more posh houses coming on the market than we're used to!

• Haha 1

Well, here is my explanation... The reason why so many ppl have died this year, especially in April and following months is - LOCKDOWN. The ppl couldn't go to hospital because they were closed so anyone who developed medical problems and complications died at home. So if this info from "list of deaths by year" is applied to general population - it means that lockdown killed more ppl than covid in those months. People who proposed lockdown measures must have known about this. So basically they have decided that a certain number of people must die so they could attribute the higher number of deaths to covid. Actually the higher number of deaths comes 30-40% from covid, 60-70% from being unable to go to hospital and get treatment for other illness.

• Sad 1

25 minutes ago, Tower1 said:

Well, here is my explanation... The reason why so many ppl have died this year, especially in April and following months is - LOCKDOWN. The ppl couldn't go to hospital because they were closed so anyone who developed medical problems and complications died at home. So if this info from "list of deaths by year" is applied to general population - it means that lockdown killed more ppl than covid in those months. People who proposed lockdown measures must have known about this. So basically they have decided that a certain number of people must die so they could attribute the higher number of deaths to covid. Actually the higher number of deaths comes 30-40% from covid, 60-70% from being unable to go to hospital and get treatment for other illness.

I heard a similar argument in the local shop today by way of someone bemoaning the isolation imposed by tier four restrictions, indicating it'd make people ill if it went on. Soon morphed into a discussion about whether risking more Covid was a better option to reduce cancer etc. and whether the less restricted places had higher or lower death rates. I pointed out it's complicated but in the end we're all going to the same place - just in a different way, and as Eric Clapton said; "There'll be no more tiers in Heaven!"

I'll get me coat

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-9099183/John-Bishop-54-reveals-wife-battling-coronavirus.html

54 year old scouse comedian John Bishop and his wife are suffering  badly with a coronavirus infection  he has revealed. 

I do not recognise this description of him! :P

• Haha 1

On 30/12/2020 at 16:00, drol said:

Wiki tends to have many more articles nowadays. And this year many were created after redlinks being added to that page.

Of five deaths listed today on Wiki four had not an article before their death. See what I mean???

6 hours ago, drol said:

Of five deaths listed today on Wiki four had not an article before their death. See what I mean???

Of 12 deaths listed till now 7 (!) had not an article before their death. It is not lockdown nor coronavirus, it's people impatience and nobbish contributions!