Wickerman

William Frankland

Born 19 March 1912 (108 years of age on this day I create the topic in his name). A collaborator with Alexander Fleming in the development of penicillin.

Frankland taught that increased levels of cleanliness and hygiene in modern life account significantly for the rise in allergies, the so-called Hygiene Hypothesis. He has said that "We don't set off our immune system early on, we are too clean. In the former East Germany for instance, with very poor work and housing conditions, people were less allergic". I recall my own GP in Birmingham (Mary Stone) who met Frankland - telling my mother (when I was very young) to: “Let him play in the dirt it will help build his immune system”.

Frankland was instrumental in the creation of the British Association of Allergists in 1948. In 1962 the Association became the British Allergy Society, and Frankland served as president between 1963 and 1966. The society became the British Society for Allergy and Clinical Immunology (BSACI) in 1973.

Frankland is a founder member and president of the International Association of Aerobiology, and president of the UK charity the Anaphylaxis Campaign.

Frankland continues to publish; at age 100 he authored "100 years of allergen immunotherapy", and most recently co-authoring, "Flight Lieutenant Peach's observations on Burning Feet Syndrome in Far Eastern Prisoners of War 1942–45" in the 'Quarterly Journal of Medicine' in 2016.

A person well worthy of his own topic here on DeathList. Long may he continue to live.

• Like 7

An absolute legend for sure, no jokes. Not sure he'll make a DL though as he is in frail health and living full time in the Charterhouse Infirmary for end of life care in London.

• Like 1

Frankland my dear, I don't give a damn!

*burns Tara to the ground*

If this is correct sadly it is another hit for me on my shadow list 

He was a Gray Panther.

Although on my Shadow List I was actually hoping not to see this this year :(

Not a damn newspaper report anywhere and he's marked as dead. :P

3 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Not a damn newspaper report anywhere and he's marked as dead. :P

He'll get obits across the board by evening or else I will be majorly fucked off.

• Haha 1

Yes, I know he is, but better keep the dead tag until an obit appears.

I'm pretty sure Dan Snow wouldn't have got it wrong ! Bit ironic if he died of the corona virus ... :mellow:

1 minute ago, CoffinLodger said:

I'm pretty sure Dan Snow wouldn't have got it wrong ! Bit ironic if he died of the corona virus ... :mellow:

First comments suggested he didn't. Other Twitter users have confirmed, but a formal obit still has to be issued.

32 minutes ago, CoffinLodger said:

The British media are being slow on this. Still, whinging on here won't make them go any faster. Write The Guardian or The Telegraph an email if you really want it that fast and they may oblige. ;)

I presume no press statement has been sent to them yet.

A quick google gave me youtube videos that says he was friends with the queen, so that could have an impact on her.

I imagine at her age the Queen is used to losing friends younger than her let alone older.

6 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

I imagine at her age the Queen is used to losing friends younger than her let alone older.

True, the real question is will the Queen make it to 108 years of age? Also if she did would she still be on the throne or would she abdicate and would Charles still be alive at 85 or would William be ready to take the throne?

• Like 1

He was the oldest British male 'famous' centenarian, only beaten by Eileeen Whelan as oldest British 'famous' centenerian, so let's pay tribute to him. We needed him now more than ever ! 

PS his place as the oldest British male 'famous' centenarian has been taken by the footballer Arthur Smith, who turns 105 next month. 

• Like 1

R.I.P to a forum legend :(

Damn.  I had him in 50 DPs.  All expired.  And now do has he.  I doubt I scored a single hit.

Yeah it’s all about me.

SirC

12 hours ago, roaming_comrade said:

A quick google gave me youtube videos that says he was friends with the queen, so that could have an impact on her.

He's got birthday cards off the Queen.

That doesn't mean their friends. She (her office) sends them to anyone reaching 100 each year and then one for 105 onwards each year. 

• Like 3

Just learnt he died of COVID-19.Makes him the second oldest death from the virus after Hilda Churchill unless I am overlooking anyone.

• Sad 2