Sign in to follow this  
ladyfiona

COVID-19 - The CEO's who treat their staff badly

This is Coronavirus related. In the last week or so there have been many good deeds seen around the country and the world of companies or people who are doing good things for others, but then there are those who capitalize on others or who just don't care.

Top contenders:

• Tim Martin - Owns Wetherspoons - Didn't get a handout from the government so sacked 40,000 employees without pay and told them to go work at Tesco
  • Mike Ashley - Owns Sports Direct and thinks Boris Johnson telling people exercise is ok, means he can still have his shops open and have workers exposed to the virus. Oh and raised their prices by up to 50%.
  • Sir Phillip Green - Owns Top Shop. An hour before government announced they would pay 80% of what staff members earnt while they were in quarantine, he sacked everyone to avoid paying anyone.

Feel free to add your own.

• Like 3
  • Shocked 1

4 minutes ago, ladyfiona said:

This is Coronavirus related. In the last week or so there have been many good deeds seen around the country and the world of companies or people who are doing good things for others, but then there are those who capitalize on others or who just don't care.

Top contenders:

• Tim Martin - Owns Wetherspoons - Didn't get a handout from the government so sacked 40,000 employees without pay and told them to go work at Tesco
  •  Mike Ashley - Owns Sports Direct and thinks Boris Johnson telling people exercise is ok, means he can still have his shops open and have workers exposed to the virus. Oh and raised their prices by up to 50%.
  •  Sir Phillip Green - Owns Top Shop. An hour before government announced they would pay 80% of what staff members earnt while they were in quarantine, he sacked everyone to avoid paying anyone.

Feel free to add your own.

Your Tim Martin summary is inaccurate. He's still furloughing staff - but not paying them until he receives the subsidy. He said those who want to leave and work in supermarkets will get first preference on jobs when they re-open. 

• Thanks 1

Britannia Hotels

Administrative error?

"Oops we didn't mean to sack you and make you homeless overnight, it was meant to be a check on your NI number...."

Utter bullshit, should read "Oops massive PR disaster back-pedal fast. Now."

Bestseller billionaire, Anders Holch Povlsen, fired 750 employees weeks after announcing 'one their best years in revenue'. (Danish link)

Even with a high salary, of 50.000DKR pr. month (which is probably less), it is estimated that keeping those people for 6 months would've costed 250 million DKR (£30m) - compared to their revenue of 2.8 billion DKR (£346m).

Anders Holch Povlsen was the guy who lost 3 children in the Sri Lanka Easter Terrorist Attack, last year.

Conversely, that biatch of a barmaid who looked at me for a solid ten minutes, intermittently playing with her phone while I had an empty glass in front of me at the bar I was at a few weeks ago is out of a job!

Sometimes, the arrogance of the employee needs to be mentioned also!

:lol:

• Haha 2

how about people who treat their entire country horrifically. A la the orange twat

He says that "certain people" would like the US "not to open so quickly - would like it to do financially poorly, because they think that would do well at defeating me at the polls."

He tells a reporter: "There are people in your profession that would like that to happen... there are people in your profession that write fake news."

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Deathray said:

how about people who treat their entire country horrifically. A la the orange twat

Honestly could the USA collapse? I'm starting to wonder. Several places in the USA are going to be worse than Italy the healthcare may collapse. No help for those unemployed and US stock market down nearly 33% in a month.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/mar/25/us-unemployment-coronavirus-hospitality-food-industries-claims

• Sad 1

I'm actually starting to think the stock market has hit the bottom. People slowly get used to the death rate and the fact that hospitals are under strain. It ceases to shock and people look to getting back to work.

• Like 1

GameStop declares that it is an essential service, to stay open.

The irony being, of course, that they are one of the first companies that springs to mind when I think of a "useless" company AND a "failing" company (everybody buys digitally now)

4 hours ago, Youth in Asia said:

I'm actually starting to think the stock market has hit the bottom. People slowly get used to the death rate and the fact that hospitals are under strain. It ceases to shock and people look to getting back to work.

The stock market probably won't get much lower as it's adjusted to the new reality now. 

41 minutes ago, Cruyff's Turn said:

Ftse100 down another 130 today after the recovery. Could be profit taking or a Dead Bat Bounce.

Keeping an eye on day to day stock movement is futile and only likely to cause heart attacks. 

If your investing now its to get profits when the economy re opens, some people will have cash grabbed based on yesterday's bounce but there idiots. The real money is after the lockdown ends. 

* In a memo to Hobby Lobby store managers obtained by Business Insider, vice president of operations Randy Betts wrote that sick workers will be required to use personal paid time off and vacation pay, or else take an "unpaid leave of absence until further notice." 

* In the case of a mandated store closure, Hobby Lobby will offer emergency pay only after paid time off and vacation days have been depleted, and then will offer 75% of the regular rate of pay based on an average of shifts from the previous six weeks.

(there’s more)

On 26/03/2020 at 05:28, ladyfiona said:

An arts and crafts store in US called Hobby Lobby is to remain open because the billionaire owner said God talked to him. Oh and will refuse to pay sick pay for any of it's staff that fall ill due to the virus.

Go read the article fully because it's wild from start to finish.

* In a memo to Hobby Lobby store managers obtained by Business Insider, vice president of operations Randy Betts wrote that sick workers will be required to use personal paid time off and vacation pay, or else take an "unpaid leave of absence until further notice." 

* In the case of a mandated store closure, Hobby Lobby will offer emergency pay only after paid time off and vacation days have been depleted, and then will offer 75% of the regular rate of pay based on an average of shifts from the previous six weeks.

(there’s more)

That store has always been a piece of shit. This is nothing new. 

The bank I work for is being quite shitty too, nothing new there really, but we have had a case of the virus on our floor, also another colleague has just lost  his granddad to it,  we were told initially to go to the contingency site bit problematic for me as I don't drive and colleagues are not allowed to provide lifts due to social distancing, I don't want to get a taxi for same reason and busses are full of germs at the best of times, but at least the building is not contaminated. We then get told that we should go to our usual site so we are working in a contaminated building. No option to work at home. We are not being provided with hand sanitiser.  

We don't know who the colleague is so no idea how much social interaction we might have had with them already. 

They think they can keep moral going by buying us the odd smoothie or bacon barm. 

Well that likely didn't make much sense but I always waffle when I'm angry. 

• Sad 1
  • Facepalm 1

4 minutes ago, Handrejka said:

The bank I work for is being quite shitty too, nothing new there really, but we have had a case of the virus on our floor, also another colleague has just lost  his granddad to it,  we were told initially to go to the contingency site bit problematic for me as I don't drive and colleagues are not allowed to provide lifts due to social distancing, I don't want to get a taxi for same reason and busses are full of germs at the best of times, but at least the building is not contaminated. We then get told that we should go to our usual site so we are working in a contaminated building. No option to work at home. We are not being provided with hand sanitiser.  

We don't know who the colleague is so no idea how much social interaction we might have had with them already. 

They think they can keep moral going by buying us the odd smoothie or bacon barm. 

Well that likely didn't make much sense but I always waffle when I'm angry. 

It made complete sense, Handy.

The are a bunch of c*nts, basically.

• Like 1

On 01/04/2020 at 09:46, Sir Creep said:

* In a memo to Hobby Lobby store managers obtained by Business Insider, vice president of operations Randy Betts wrote that sick workers will be required to use personal paid time off and vacation pay, or else take an "unpaid leave of absence until further notice." 

(there’s more)

Part 3:

After quietly reopening stores across the country in defiance of coronavirus-related state lockdown orders, Hobby Lobby is closing all stores nationally and furloughing employees without pay. 

In a statement posted on the company website on Friday afternoon, Hobby Lobby announced it will furlough "nearly all store employees" without pay and "is ending emergency leave pay and suspending use of company provided paid time off benefits and vacation." 

According to three employees, each speaking on the condition of anonymity for fear of retribution, managers at their stores called teams into a meeting to deliver the news on Friday afternoon. 

"The line our manager gave us was, 'The employees got what the employees wanted, the stores were closed,'" a Hobby Lobby employee in Indiana said. "My question was did God tell them they needed to closed the stores and not pay us?" '

SC

Governments who threat their subjects horribly: MINE :(

Tomorrow, our dear chancellor will force Austrians to download a tracking app on their smartphones. 

2 million Austrians don't own one.

They will get some tracking device for their house keys.

Edit: The opposition voted against the surveillance state - for the time being. 

Looks like the poor French will get it before us, despite the fact, that 53% of the population are against it.

https://www.bfmtv.com/societe/une-majorite-de-francais-contre-une-application-obligatoire-de-type-stopcovid-sur-leur-telephone-1892571.html

• Shocked 1

Still at least you don't live in Hungary where the prime minister has total power now.

Snippit:

"But even with this record, the Hungarian leader’s power-grab this week has been extraordinary. On Monday, parliament, where Mr Orban’s Fidesz party has a two-thirds supermajority, voted to give the government the right to rule by decree with no time limit to help fight coronavirus, which has so far killed 26 Hungarians and infected 623. There is no parliamentary review mechanism or sunset clause. The government says the emergency powers can only be used to fight the epidemic and are not indefinite as parliament can rescind them at its choosing. But nobody expects Fidesz MPs to defy their prime minister. "

Bad companies eventually treat their employees the way they treat their customers (I belong to a BA Complaints thread on Facebook, a joyful read every day)

——————-

British Airways wants its entire workforce to sign up to new contracts which would allow them to lay-off staff without negotiation.

Union leaders fear the “traumatised” workforce is being railroaded into accepting the equivalent of “zero-hour” deals which could be ripped-up in the event of turbulence in future.

Details emerged last night as a breakdown of job-losses at British Airways – with 931 engineers among those getting the boot.

Yesterday union chiefs submitted legal papers to the High Court to argue that BA’s bid to make 12,000 staff redundant is illegal.

They say the 45-day “consultation period” should in fact be 90 days.

Leaders blasted the airline for jettisoning staff when BA parent company IAG was sitting on £8.3billion in its coffers.

SC