Paul Bearer

King Charles III

9 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

Not to mention the rigours of the job, especially taking them up at this age. His mother was just a few years short of her Golden Jubilee when she was his age. He'll have to travel a lot over the next year or so, start reading the state papers every day, audiences with the PM and so on. Edward VII lasted 9 years. I agree, 10-15 seems logical.

I suspect he has been getting more and more of the state papers over the last few years anyway as the Queen declined. 

• Like 1

Honest question, from the other side of the pond: There any chance, at all, the monarchy is scrapped in the coming years now that the beloved queen has been replaced by her not-so-highly-regarded son?

12 minutes ago, Salmon Mousse said:

Honest question, from the other side of the pond: There any chance, at all, the monarchy is scrapped in the coming years now that the beloved queen has been replaced by her not-so-highly-regarded son?

Honest answer, no. And look at how fast pro-royalist critics (I don't mean republicans) of Charles are u-turning opinions for a reason why. The show goes on. 

(Also after one big change there usually isn't the appetite for another big one for a while.)

• Like 3

Edward VII had basically the same situation and he lasted 9 years (1901-1910). My guess he will beat that but not by much.

2 hours ago, Youth in Asia said:

Edward VII had basically the same situation and he lasted 9 years (1901-1910). My guess he will beat that but not by much.

9 years seems a bit pessimistic.He has good genes and isn't known to live a unhealthy lifestyle and has no known health problems .No reason to suspect he won't see his 90s.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Bibliogryphon said:

I think @MortalCaso is closer to the ball park. His ominous use of the phrase "the time remaining to me" and his already ruddy complexion do not suggest to me he will live as long as his father 

Again this morning he made a reference to however long he has left and said it in a way that, and I’m not sure why, that just made think he doesn’t think he will make the age his Mum did. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

Again this morning he made a reference to however long he has left and said it in a way that, and I’m not sure why, that just made think he doesn’t think he will make the age his Mum did. 

I’d say the majority of people don’t think they’ll make it to 96, particularly men.

• Like 2

Fairly conciveable he could go on for another 20 years given his mother and father lived well into their 90s and his grandmother lived to 102.

His fingers are the only thing that suggests anything about his health but it is probably arthritis or something.

0_EaZpdb2XgAIO2HNjfif.jpg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Salmon Mousse said:

There is a chance but I don't think it is particularly high at the moment.A lot rests on how the King comes across and whether people grow to like him.If not there is a risk that Republican sentiment could grow over time.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Salmon Mousse said:

None whatsoever, I would say. The personal popularity of William and Kate should ensure it is safe for decades to come. In the last few days there's been no shortage of commentators from other parts of the world telling us how the UK should be run. But around half the countries in western Europe are monarchies, it's not as if Britain's is the only one left. 

Of course we don't know how George will turn out but it's impossible to imagine he could screw up as badly as Andrew or Harry, let alone Edward VIII. I won't be around to see him come to the throne, in any case. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Salmon Mousse said:

I was at gathering this morning of people of various ages and there was nothing but praise for his speech last night, which is impressive as there were plenty of potential pitfalls there. Doubtless there will be some discussion, but the transition has been seamless and without incident, so goodwill is high at the moment. I can see some of the overseas realms cutting ties, but republicanism is unlikely to take hold here for the foreseeable. It does feel like a renewal: Charles will be a different monarch to his mother, and with William now heir apparent, the Royal Family suddenly feels much younger. 

1 hour ago, The Old Crem said:

He is simply acknowledging he is not a young man. At 73, nothing is guaranteed, he could have 30 years, he could have 3. How ever long he has left, he will be of service.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, RoverAndOut said:

His mother was just a few years short of her Golden Jubilee when she was his age.

Right, but she made it another 21 years even so.

4 minutes ago, frleon said:

Right, but she made it another 21 years even so.

Having had 50 years to grow into the role was my point. She was an old hand at 73, she didn't have it thrust upon her at that age. Yes he's been preparing for it his whole life, and has led a busy life of events, etc. but this will be a significant change for him and it's perfectly plausible it will lead to an earlier demise than thought.

22 hours ago, Salmon Mousse said:

Even if he proves unpopular - which there is no sign of since the accession at least - he will be followed by King William aka Diana's boy. That will likely give the monarchy a boost among the flag wavers. William, like Elizabeth II, has a life story. It's something which Charles III doesn't really have as he has had a fairly standard existence, in Royal terms. 

Having said that, I think the greatest risk to the monarchy is William. He seems to want to be normal guy. Problem being that if a normal guy is King, whats the point? Where's the mystique of monarchy?

The Scot Nats are going to have you away anyway Windsor old mate. So it won't matter to you. Or, well, you'll have to move south of Hadrians Wall.

I forgot to add, I see him pegging it in his mid-80s. I don't think being King at 73 will have any impact on his health.

Camilla will likely go before he does as she hasn't necessarily looked after her health that well. 

Just now, En Passant said:

The Scot Nats are going to have you away anyway Windsor old mate. So it won't matter to you. Or, well, you'll have to move south of Hadrians Wall.

The plan is to go Northern Ireland on the bastards. Its worked in the long term for the Unionists in Ireland. Can't do fuck all in the interests of 'peace'. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Windsor said:

I forgot to add, I see him pegging it in his mid-80s. I don't think being King at 73 will have any impact on his health.

Camilla will likely go before he does as she hasn't necessarily looked after her health that well. 

Also oesteoperosis runs in her family with her mother even dying of it at 72.

19 hours ago, Sean said:

His fingers are the only thing that suggests anything about his health but it is probably arthritis or something.

0_EaZpdb2XgAIO2HNjfif.jpg

20220911_083734.jpg

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

I reckon he has drunk a lot of high quality alcohol in his life, and I would therefore expect something in the region of 83-86 with possibly severe illness beforehand. On the other hand he's a visionary especially in terms of the environmental stuff, and I hope he gets time to make his mark.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Neol Edmunds said:

20220911_083734.jpg

"Fancy a fingerbang?"

• Shocked 1

Still waiting for an Irishman to say "King Charles the third"

• Like 1

Those milestone dates for the five shortest reigning monarchs

Monarch

Duration

Date

Lady Jane Gray

9 Days

17th September 2022

Edward V

78 days

25th November 2022

Edward VIII

327 days

1st August 2023

Richard III

2 y 58 days

4th November 2024

James II*

3y 321 days

27th July 2026

*James II was deposed and driven into exile and replaced with his daughter Mary and her husband William of Orange who ruled jointly

All five of these were forcibly removed from power

Mary I was the first one to die on the throne from natural causes after a reign of 5 years and 122 days which would take us to January 2028

• Like 7