Paul Bearer

King Charles III

Zadok the Priest by Handel is always played at coronations. However this time 90% of people watching will be thinking "wait, there's a Champion's League game on?"

Another significant milestone for Charles III is 1st November 2025 when he will  overtake George II and become the fourth oldest monarch to sit on the throne

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Another significant milestone for Charles III is 1st November 2025 when he will  overtake George II and become the fourth oldest monarch to sit on the throne

Odd to think that (roughly) about 37 of his predecessors since 1066 were dead by the time he's come to the throne.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Bibliogryphon said:

I think he'll be shooting for three days' time first, where he'll overtake Lady Jane Grey and no longer be the shortest-reigning monarch.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If any good comes of his reign, I hope it's the fully functioning fountain pen.

Had more of those fuckers leak on me after a couple of uses than I know....

Also perhaps the age of the highly embroidered tabard. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, YoungWillz said:

Just wait till William succeeds him. Apparently  left handed people like him tend to find Fountain ones very difficult to write with. 

• Like 1

Down to Page Three already?

Already past Lady Jane (not included on all lists, tbf, see also Sweyn Forkbeard and Empress Matilda); Jane's 9 days could be bumped up to 13 though given that Edward VI died on 6 July 1553 and basically nothing happened for four days. No Deathlist then, obvs, or the young king might well have been on it. 

He better live as long as his parents.Dont want to have another 10 days national mourning for a long long time :P

• Haha 1

On 14/09/2022 at 17:39, YoungWillz said:

Not forgetting larger, uncluttered tables…

On 14/09/2022 at 19:08, The Old Crem said:

Just wait till William succeeds him. Apparently  left handed people like him tend to find Fountain ones very difficult to write with. 

Watching him signing during the proclamation he’s not only a leftie but holds his pens really quite oddly 

16 minutes ago, tomarse said:

Watching him signing during the proclamation he’s not only a leftie but holds his pens really quite oddly 

I'm sure I'm not the only one who had to read that twice. 

I wouldn't say it annoys me, but it is irritating to hear the telly people keep saying 'King Charles III' as if we're all about to forget his name. Please, just start saying 'the King' - we'll all get used to it soon. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, tomarse said:

This is exactly for the reason Crem states - if you are left handed the base of your hand follows the pen across the paper.

This can smudge normal ink but is particularly bad when using a fountain pen - the solution is to almost hold your pen from above to keep it out of the way.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Grim Up North said:

This is exactly for the reason Crem states - if you are left handed the base of your hand follows the pen across the paper.

This can smudge normal ink but is particularly bad when using a fountain pen - the solution is to almost hold your pen from above to keep it out of the way.

I shall sleep soundly tonight, you learn something every day! :D

New money due to be minted soon:

47E18C0A-2B74-45CD-B6EC-606C3B38F78E.jpeg.5d73396edf5343f3fc5ffd95abf8a94b.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

5 minutes ago, TQR said:

Not sure where you've got it from, but it shouldn't look like that. He'll be facing the opposite way to his mother, so his profile will be to the left. Alternates every monarch.

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 2

15 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

Not sure where you've got it from, but it shouldn't look like that. He'll be facing the opposite way to his mother, so his profile will be to the left. Alternates every monarch.

look at the side profile a bit closer 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cerberus said:

I'm sure I'm not the only one who had to read that twice. 

I wouldn't say it annoys me, but it is irritating to hear the telly people keep saying 'King Charles III' as if we're all about to forget his name. Please, just start saying 'the King' - we'll all get used to it soon. 

5 live we’re talking about it when in car not long about saying now talking about ‘The Queen’ could easily be constructed as both Liz or Camilla.  I think Liz just became known as ‘Queen’ possibly due to the sheer length of her reign.  I’m maybe a while before. Charles is just know as ‘The King’ - he’s been around so long I guess we all know him as Charles.. it will be difficult not to look at him and just instantly think that. 

39 minutes ago, TQR said:

IMG-20220911-WA0002.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

52 minutes ago, tomarse said:

look at the side profile a bit closer 

It's late. The joke was subtle. I missed it. Apologies @TQR.

• Haha 2

Charles has certainly got his steps in today with this walking through London.

37 minutes ago, ladyfiona said:

Charles has certainly got his steps in today with this walking through London.

Hope he's got his fit bit on!

• Haha 2

Hmm…a lot of the world noticed and didn’t like this sus skip.

7 hours ago, TQR said:

Hmm…a lot of the world noticed and didn’t like this sus skip.

Yes, but these days the world looks for any reason to be offended or to find offence when none is intended. 

You, for example, will go to a great deal of trouble to find fault in the Royals because it makes you feel young and rebellious again, whereas we all know your just an old slag! ;)

• Like 1

23 hours ago, tomarse said:

5 live we’re talking about it when in car not long about saying now talking about ‘The Queen’ could easily be constructed as both Liz or Camilla.  I think Liz just became known as ‘Queen’ possibly due to the sheer length of her reign.  I’m maybe a while before. Charles is just know as ‘The King’ - he’s been around so long I guess we all know him as Charles.. it will be difficult not to look at him and just instantly think that. 

It’s the novelty factor at the moment. Give it a year and it’ll be the King. Even Edward Vee one one one was referred to as ‘the King’ by the end of his short reign. Elvia achieved it almost overnight. 

The ‘Queen Consort’ thing keeps rumbling on  too. 

• Like 1