Youth in Asia

How many 2020 DDP picks will die of coronavirus?

How many 2020 DDP picks will die "of" or "while infected by" coronavirus, by 31 December 2020? [their infection with covid-19 must be mentioned somewhere in their death notice or reports about their illness]

My guess is 7.

Feel free to add your own.

Edit: I might as well keep the list updated here

1. Eddie Large (2 April, age 78)

2. William Frankland (2 April, age 108)

3. Forrest Compton (4 April, age 94)

4. Tim Brooke-Taylor (12 April, age 79)

5. Jim Harris (9 August, age 70)

6. Tom Seaver (31 August, age 75)

7. Tommy DeVito (21 September, age 92)

8. Vasili Kulkov (10 October, age 54)

9. Peter Sutcliffe (13 November, age 74)

10. David Prowse (29 November, age 85)

11. Valery Giscard d'Estaing (2 December, age 94)

12. Charley Pride (12 December, age 86)

• Thanks 1

Normally we'd expect about another 9 deaths (from other causes) with 9 months to go. That leaves something in the range of 35 to 44 at risk of dying from Covid19. 

Given that most will be self-isolating, I'll go for a modest 10% of that figure, i.e. 4 people, dying from Covid19. And I'd reckon on some other names on the list catching it but surviving, since some centenarians have been confirmed as doing so. 

EDIT: as pointed out below, I mistakenly thought we were talking about the Deathlist, not the DDP

1 hour ago, paddyfool said:

Normally we'd expect about another 9 deaths (from other causes) with 9 months to go. That leaves something in the range of 35 to 44 at risk of dying from Covid19. 

Given that most will be self-isolating, I'll go for a modest 10% of that figure, i.e. 4 people, dying from Covid19. And I'd reckon on some other names on the list catching it but surviving, since some centenarians have been confirmed as doing so. 

Sorry if it wasn't clear, I'm talking about people who have been picked on the Derby Dead Pool (DDP), of which there are probably well over a thousand, not those on the deathlist.net deathlist.

3 hours ago, Youth in Asia said:

Sorry if it wasn't clear, I'm talking about people who have been picked on the Derby Dead Pool (DDP), of which there are probably well over a thousand, not those on the deathlist.net deathlist.

Doh!  

My bad.  In that case ... I'll say 50 confirmed Covid19 deaths from the DDP entries.  (Many names on the DDP aren't that likely to die, after all, but quite a few are very vulnerable, and many are stateside, where the epidemic seems to be a good way off its peak yet)

Just what we need, another Corona thread :rolleyes:

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Youth in Asia said:

Just in case this thread takes off with guesses it would be helpful for you all to know that there are approx. 3,396 separate picks in the 2020 DDP.

I say approx. because since that count we will have identified a few picks that were allocated to wrong name etc  

Hopefully none, says the guy who has to write the obits...

• Haha 5

Coronavirus hits a old wrestlers reunion meetup and we hire TMIB back to write the obits.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, msc said:

Hopefully none, says the guy who has to write the obits...

Well Eddie Large has ruined that for you

10 minutes ago, Youth in Asia said:

Well Eddie Large has ruined that for you

There was one last month, I forget who now.

11 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Coronavirus hits a old wrestlers reunion meetup and we hire TMIB back to write the obits.

Much like the TMIB era it is increasingly obvious on the front page when I've actually heard of the DDP hit... Crap jokes and stories as opposed to "uhm, he designed some golf courses, apparently, here's who won points..."

• Haha 1

With it hitting hard in places like NYC, and DDP picks veering to the old and unwell, I think there'll be a bit of a collapse

As an added bonus, one of them will be a name off of Not Gone Yet But Still Forgotten that only gets an obit due to dying of coronavirus and causes msc to write the most "feck this" obit of all time...

250 to 300

About 800-1000 DDP picks are theme team nobodies

10 minutes ago, Death Impends said:

With it hitting hard in places like NYC, and DDP picks veering to the old and unwell, I think there'll be a bit of a collapse

As an added bonus, one of them will be a name off of Not Gone Yet But Still Forgotten that only gets an obit due to dying of coronavirus and causes msc to write the most "feck this" obit of all time...

Imagine my horror for a few moments when that obscure princess died of corona and got the QO.

Thankfully, not the obscure princess on that team!

9 hours ago, Youth in Asia said:

How many 2020 DDP picks will die "of" or "while infected by" coronavirus, by the end of 2020? [their infection with covid-19 must be mentioned somewhere in their death notice or reports about their illness]

Could you not have put this in the sweepstakes thread?

• Like 2

Which ones are based in Italy, New York or just anywhere with a high death rate and/or incompetent government?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ladyfiona said:

Which ones are based in Italy, New York or just anywhere with a high death rate and/or incompetent government?

Based on your last criteria, that would be all of them, then. 

2. Have a feeling Nobby stiles and prunella scales might be the two.

Some people thought Betty Williams died from it but I can't seen any other March hit linked to the virus.

I will say 17 for this.

Any more guesses? Deadline on Monday 6th to keep it fair. 

Prize for the winner: vaccine against coronavirus for you and a friend.

• Haha 3