msc

9. Noam Chomsky

Oh I haven't started one of these for a likely future DL pick in ages. Writer, critic, rent-a-cynic, political philosopher and never off the TV pronouncer Noam Chomsky is 92 this year, and judging by this appearance last week on one of the online lefty news channels, is starting to show and sound his age after a long period of doing the old Dorian Gray thing. As someone who doesn't want to leave the limelight he'll do his continual aging in public, so here's a thread for him. And we can't have Gooseberry start all the A lister threads now...

• Like 11

Yikes! I thought he had passed. Been on my Shadow List forever! :wheelchair:

• Like 2

I tought that he has already a tread because he is a good candidate and famous enough to be on the deathlist. I think he should be on the 2021 deathlist... if he arrives 

Oh yes, really starting to show his age now.

51 minutes ago, Miracle Aligner said:

Jesus christ he looks rough as fuck, even for 92.

He's 91 still, but its probably due to his beard and the fact that he looks down to the camera.

From two days ago: man, Kenny Rogers has really let himself go since the whole dying thing...

chomsky 17 sept 2020.png

17 minutes ago, ThePrematureBurial said:

Aye, there's summat to be said for avoiding social media and reading books, eh?

Doesn't look great (however he can still walk, talk well and hasn't lost his marbles) in this interview but this whole video is weird.

First of all he walks into the interview and tells that he has to cancel/reschedule it because he "doesn't have time". Chomsky later mentions that the interviewer missed the time the interview was supposed to start...

The interviewer guy seems very disrespective and urges Chomsky to answer his questions. And what really annoys me is that he stops the call when Chomsky is saying "Thank you, glad to be-"

I wonder if the boy even knows who he is interviewing.

• Like 2

Well done. Officially, he isn't ill, but everyone eventually runs out of juice, and he'll do rather soon 

chomsky.png.1a59c87800165a00779370a96447d143.png

Looks horrible in recent interviews, he'll probably keep doing them until he dies. Lost his younger brother David Eli Chomsky (1934-2021) in July.

8 minutes ago, Lafaucheuse said:

doesn't seem good on that new interview from yesterday 

Asked about the situation of Muslims being held in concentration camps in China, his response was “well it’s not as bad as what’s happening in Gaza”. Whataboutery at its finest. Cares deeply for the Muslims of India, doesn’t have a bad word to say about the Chinese Communist Party. It’s as if he has some kind of hard left agenda. Funny that. Always thought he was a total crank tbh. Overrated and lauded as some kind of wise guru in the political science departments of every university in the western world.

• Like 3

On 12/02/2022 at 07:21, Ulitzer95 said:

Asked about the situation of Muslims being held in concentration camps in China, his response was “well it’s not as bad as what’s happening in Gaza”. Whataboutery at its finest. Cares deeply for the Muslims of India, doesn’t have a bad word to say about the Chinese Communist Party. It’s as if he has some kind of hard left agenda. Funny that. Always thought he was a total crank tbh. Overrated and lauded as some kind of wise guru in the political science departments of every university in the western world.

He's right and you're mad ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Angry 1

2 hours ago, FinalChapter said:

He's right and you're mad ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ok. So which previously banned member are you? Pretty certain I've already clocked it. :rolleyes:

Looks pretty awful in a new statesman interview (not much of a change from previous videos though):

It is hard to look at him or listen to his voice in these interviews but if you read what he says in a transcript his analysis is still sharp and worth considering. Physical effects of his age have taken a very obvious toll but mentally he is still astute.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gcreptile said:

Chomsky trending on Twitter for a new video where he sees only one statesman advocating for a diplomatic solution in the Ukraine war and that is Donald Trump:

https://mobile.twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/1520751923355398144

I mean, it's certainly not Putin...

I mean, if you were wondering if he's gone senile, I guess the question's answered itself

• Like 1

So do we reckon much to him being ninety-four, and at deaths'door?

:dead:

Says that the US is more totalitarian than 1970s Soviet Union, calls Lavrov the Prime Minister of Russia. :facepalm: 

• Like 1