Paul Bearer

Captain Tom Moore

The captain is walking round his garden in aid of the NHS. Originally to raise a thousand £££'s now stands at over £8m.  

Only famous in in his own backyard, but will no doubt get a QO when he snuffs it. 

Will he make it to the ton? 

• Like 2

He'll die of exhaustion at this rate. Possibly being egged on by relatives who stay with him because they may want part of the money.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

The good folk over at Wikipedia have kindly made a page for him.

That’s pretty cool. Ima go check it out.

Two weeks to the ton.

I think if he makes it past 101 he might not Q/O on a busy news day.

• Like 1

For his 100th Birthday the Queen will pay him a personal visit instead of just a card or whatever they get these days. Unbeknownst to either of them, one of the grandkids will be a covid 19 carrier and will pass it on. Both gone within the week. 

2 hours ago, Youth in Asia said:

Has it come to this?

Yeah, bring back the halcyon days when they briefly closed down the Dickie O thread because we were treating it like a common room and posting irrelevant shite!

1 hour ago, Bentrovato said:

For his 100th Birthday the Queen will pay him a personal visit instead of just a card or whatever they get these days. Unbeknownst to either of them, one of the grandkids will be a covid 19 carrier and will pass it on. Both gone within the week. 

Get Liz out there as his training partner/cheerleader for a few laps, before she stops for a cuppa and writes the NHS a cheque for £50m.

Hup hup!

• Like 1

Maybe he could keep walking to raise enough money to pay Branson off. 

(For those that don't know, billionaire Richard Branson sued our NHS for millions 'cos he didn't get a contract with them) 

• Like 1

We're a strangely twisted nation, aren't we; we elect governments who fail to ensure healthcare is properly funded for years, and then pay a near-centenarian £13m to hobble endlessly up and down his garden to go towards it. Maybe taxation would feel less onerous if it was rewarded with cruel entertainments.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Well he could put the money towards nursing scholarships. I worked it out and on average for a four year degree a UK nurse has to pay £36k in student fees (9k per year). This is rough estimate from doing a quick Google.

So based on £13 million he could pay for about 360 NHS nurses to be trained in UK.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ladyfiona said:

Well he could put the money towards nursing scholarships. I worked it out and on average for a four year degree a UK nurse has to pay £36k in student fees (9k per year). This is rough estimate from doing a quick Google.

So based on £13 million he could pay for about 360 NHS nurses to be trained in UK.

….or he could pay for, like, 2000 nurses to be trained in India and the Phillipines so that there are plenty available for us to go and entice to work in our NHS......

1 hour ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

….or he could pay for, like, 2000 nurses to be trained in India and the Phillipines so that there are plenty available for us to go and entice to work in our NHS......

It is the sad truth based off what a nurse colleague told me a while back when we discussed how much it costs to train a nurse and why bursary money was taken away etc.

I do love my Filipino and Indian colleagues where I work mind, i've learnt a lot from them. It was a culture shock in my first week considering over 80% of staff I guess are Filipino or Indian.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, The Quim Reaper said:

We're a strangely twisted nation, aren't we; we elect governments who fail to ensure healthcare is properly funded for years, and then pay a near-centenarian £13m to hobble endlessly up and down his garden to go towards it. Maybe taxation would feel less onerous if it was rewarded with cruel entertainments.

I must admit I thought it was in one way great that a 99 year old man wants to do this but at the same time not a great look for the country that the NHS has to rely on charity like this.Surely one of the richest countries in the world can do better than this ! 

PS if it turns oiut he used some of the money to buy a retirement villa in the Bahamas I for one wouldn't begrudge him it!

If Boris gets his head out of his ass he'll increase funding to NHS now or...just do something to boost things.

3 minutes ago, ladyfiona said:

If Boris gets his head out of his ass he'll increase funding to NHS now or...just do something to boost things.

Surely his near death experience will make sure he adequately funds the NHS. He might not care about the rest of us but he wants to keep himself alive I'm sure ! 

The ethics of stealing nursing staff from poor third world countries who have paid for their training costs, and then do not have enough hospital facilities and staff for their own population always stuck me as a bit dubious.

• Like 2

Where was the Captain during the last ten years of austerity?

Poster boy for Tory "we'll give tax cuts for the rich, you want money for services raise it yourself".

3 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Where was the Captain during the last ten years of austerity?

Poster boy for Tory "we'll give tax cuts for the rich, you want money for services raise it yourself".

Probably quietly dying in a corner somewhere, he looks done in.

Anyhow, watching a centenarian struggle around his garden for public views and charity raising for a public service underfunded by those with the money to do something feels all very They Shoot Horses Dont They territory to me!

• Like 2

So it started out as a personal unrelated goal. It got highjacked and the NHS benefits, I can't see a problem. 20million will benefit a fair few and he has become a focus for contributions. I think that some form of recognition is due because he has continued with his effort and continued to provide a successful focus coping with worldwide media. 

Lack of funding is in a large part down to the Footsie 100 companies who transfer funds offshore to avoid tax, the equity funds which leech funds form our businesses and the Amazons and Apples of this world. If they all paid their fair share of tax globally the world would be a better place. There should be no tax havens and some simpler turnover based sales taxes. The banks also need to be controlled as they seem control governments.

As Pinky and The Brain would say, "Tomorrow we take over the world!". 

Every child in each of the surrounding villages is now attempting some pointless task in order to raise money for something or other.