Paul Bearer

Captain Tom Moore

10 hours ago, Dying Probably said:

image.png.76023013744e97ba5bafabdf1bef1dc4.png

Didn't we make this joke 4 years ago? It could've at least been something like "Captain Tom Mourn" or something.

image.png.cacea1a120f683451910f80bc654c8a0.png

I'm waiting for a plane carrying Christy Moore, Pink and The Proclaimers to crash on Dartmoor.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Charlotte's Controller said:

Could we at least have the spelling of his name correct. 

What's wrong with the spelling? 

41 minutes ago, Paul Bearer said:

What's wrong with the spelling? 

728F8C03-9AF7-4F5E-8349-F80272BDD0EE.thumb.jpeg.01bd79f2c9d8780c7db4acfd707bd4e1.jpeg

41 minutes ago, The Quim Reaper said:

728F8C03-9AF7-4F5E-8349-F80272BDD0EE.thumb.jpeg.01bd79f2c9d8780c7db4acfd707bd4e1.jpeg

He received his knighthood while in blackface?

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, The Quim Reaper said:

Corrected.

image.png.59c6c0ef08ffbf86cef0b73028619f61.png 

17 minutes ago, Youth in Asia said:

He'll get the 4th plinth

I think you will find that is being reserved for someone even more special. :blush:

• Like 1

16 hours ago, time said:

Anyway, Thursday night at 8, clap for Tom. 

Be there.

14 hours ago, time said:

Sorry, apparently its at 7.

ImageImage

Well here's a turn-up, its not Thursday and its neither 7 or 8

In the meantime Matt Hancock has vowed that in recognition of Sir Captain Tom's achievements, he'll make sure the NHS is adequately funded so that 99 year-olds don't have to degrade themselves to raise money.

R.I.P to a true hero. I  honor of this great man I will max my credit card being Sir Tom Moore brand Dildos, Buttplugs and condoms. :salute:

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, time said:

And hopefully this will be the end of it.

RIP Captain Tom (a normal person who lived a normal life until he walked round his garden and yet was still judged Death List worthy (he didn't even have special sperm like William H Gates)).

30 minutes ago, time said:

In the meantime Matt Hancock has vowed that in recognition of Sir Captain Tom's achievements, he'll make sure the NHS is adequately funded so that 99 year-olds don't have to degrade themselves to raise money.

Think this point has been made by someone else on here before – NHS Charities Together doesn't raise money for ventilators or to pay NHS salaries etc., it's just used for things like tarting up waiting rooms, play areas for kids, recovery gardens etc.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Think this point has been made by someone else on here before – NHS Charities Together doesn't raise money for ventilators or to pay NHS salaries etc., it's just used for things like tarting up waiting rooms, play areas for kids, recovery gardens etc.

Quite, but if the NHS had been adequately funded, the waiting rooms and kids play areas would already have been tarted up etc.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Dying Probably said:

image.png.76023013744e97ba5bafabdf1bef1dc4.png

Didn't we make this joke 4 years ago? It could've at least been something like "Captain Tom Mourn" or something.

image.png.cacea1a120f683451910f80bc654c8a0.png

Lochaber no more

Sutherland no more

Lewis no more

Skye no more

8 minutes ago, time said:

Quite, but if the NHS had been adequately funded, the waiting rooms and kids play areas would already have been tarted up etc.

Not at all. You can always renovate rooms, create more green areas, add things etc. I don't think that can ever be finite, and indeed no amount of money could ever ensure that you could find yourself in a situation where you couldn't do any more to make improvements.

3 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Not at all. You can always renovate rooms, create more green areas, add things etc. I don't think that can ever be finite, and indeed no amount of money could ever ensure that you could find yourself in a situation where you couldn't do any more to make improvements.

While this is undoubtedly true, my point is that it shouldn't need a virtual centenarian walking up and down his garden to raise money to do them.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, time said:

While this is undoubtedly true, my point is that it shouldn't need a virtual centenarian walking up and down his garden to raise money to do them.

No, and I doubt that he intended any money raised to be spent on children's playrooms and the like.

2 minutes ago, time said:

I do see your point. I've often thought about this myself. Fundraising is a difficult subject. I always see people on my Facebook doing "Stoptober" or running the London marathon etc. for causes. The question is, would people give generously to these charities if their outreach was limited to volunteers standing with a donations tin in the high street or running ads on television alone? Probably not.

Likewise, it can often take something or somebody out of the ordinary e.g. a 99 year old Army captain on a zimmer frame, for others to take any notice. I wouldn't say it's a bad thing. Would it be a BBC news story if a 30 year old man was doing laps round his garden for charity? No. That's just the reality of the situation and I don't think there's anything morally wrong about it either. Captain Tom wanted to do it, he wasn't forced, nor was he harming himself by doing those laps. In fact exercise is very important in your twilight years for extra months and years on the clock. 

Anyway, I understand that your point is "well it shouldn't take an old man on a zimmer frame exercising in order to pull in money" but trying to get people to give to charity on an ordinary basis is challenging. Maybe we should force the whole country to convert to Sikhism. They have to give 10% of their annual salary to charitable causes. :P

21 gun salute and posthumous Nobel Peace Prize on the way. At least Jared Kushner will not get the latter. 

1 minute ago, Ulitzer95 said:

I do see your point. I've often thought about this myself. Fundraising is a difficult subject. I always see people on my Facebook doing "Stoptober" or running the London marathon etc. for causes. The question is, would people give generously to these charities if their outreach was limited to volunteers standing with a donations tin in the high street or running ads on television alone? Probably not.

Likewise, it can often take something or somebody out of the ordinary e.g. a 99 year old Army captain on a zimmer frame, for others to take any notice. I wouldn't say it's a bad thing. Would it be a BBC news story if a 30 year old man was doing laps round his garden for charity? No. That's just the reality of the situation and I don't think there's anything morally wrong about it either. Captain Tom wanted to do it, he wasn't forced, nor was he harming himself by doing those laps. In fact exercise is very important in your twilight years for extra months and years on the clock. 

Anyway, I understand that your point is "well it shouldn't take an old man on a zimmer frame exercising in order to pull in money" but trying to get people to give to charity on an ordinary basis is challenging. Maybe we should force the whole country to convert to Sikhism. They have to give 10% of their annual salary to charitable causes. :P

There is a similar argument around conservation, actually. Lots of people - Chris Packham for example - think that the money spent on saving pandas could go to less sexy projects like axolotls and other amphibian conservation. (Athough for the record, axolotls are great too.) But it misses the point that the general public fucking love the panda - it's cute  (TM), it acts like a drunken toddler, in a good mood it interacts well with humans. They give shitloads of money for pandas, far more than is ever needed (it is in fact one of the most successful conservation projects in the world, the giant panda is no longer in the critically endangered wildlife column), and those millions go to preserving the environments of all those endangered animals with less PR. There's also the umbrella effect where preserving the panda's environment also saves thousands of other species that co-habit but don't do sneeze meme videos.

What I'm basically saying is that even if he didn't intend to, Captain Tom still raised a lot of useful dosh for the sorts of areas the NHS needs money in but doesn't get in as much, because its not as sexy as breast cancer or big expensive machinery used once a year. (For example, the Nye Bevan trust what got some of the money funds trains new medics, others as you point out paint the reception areas, others fix dodgy windows etc etc). Sort of an umbrella effect caused by an old guy walking round a garden?

In other words, he was their panda.

The pandas outlived him, mind you...

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Bentrovato said:

21 gun salute and posthumous Nobel Peace Prize on the way. At least Jared Kushner will not get the latter. 

I'm up for Kushner getting a posthumous prize.

• Haha 3

Why does the 50th always die?

6 minutes ago, msc said:

There is a similar argument around conservation, actually. Lots of people - Chris Packham for example - think that the money spent on saving pandas could go to less sexy projects like axolotls and other amphibian conservation. (Athough for the record, axolotls are great too.) But it misses the point that the general public fucking love the panda - it's cute  (TM), it acts like a drunken toddler, in a good mood it interacts well with humans. They give shitloads of money for pandas, far more than is ever needed (it is in fact one of the most successful conservation projects in the world, the giant panda is no longer in the critically endangered wildlife column), and those millions go to preserving the environments of all those endangered animals with less PR. There's also the umbrella effect where preserving the panda's environment also saves thousands of other species that co-habit but don't do sneeze meme videos.

Interesting. How do they do that? (And presumably "they" being groups like WWF?) Do they still just use the panda as the public face (even though it's no longer critically in threat) but divert funds to where they think it is better needed because that's what it will say in the small print after people pledge money?