Paul Bearer

Captain Tom Moore

2 minutes ago, Charlotte's Controller said:

Sir Tom Moore maybe now.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

Whilst I commend the mans efforts and he deserves the knighthoods the fact we live in a country where a national health service we already pay for through taxes requires charity support is an abomination. 

He supported the NHS employees for the services they had provided not the NHS. His effort was hijacked and promoted by the media and the whole thing was blown out of proportion, the general public found an apolitical way to donate and they did. The way in which he dealt with this and the media attention has shown that he is a true gentleman and deserving of the honour.

49 minutes ago, Charlotte's Controller said:

He supported the NHS employees for the services they had provided not the NHS. His effort was hijacked and promoted by the media and the whole thing was blown out of proportion, the general public found an apolitical way to donate and they did. The way in which he dealt with this and the media attention has shown that he is a true gentleman and deserving of the honour.

I hope the newly unemployed and the dead NHS workers appreciate his sacrifice.

Winter is coming....

• Haha 1

When I saw his name flash up on BBC news I immediately thought he was dead

• Haha 1

Didn't that other knight of the realm, Sir Jimmy Savile, raise huge amounts of cash for the NHS as well? Just enquiring. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

What he done was commendable, But to give a knighthood to some old bloke for walking round his garden? A bit OTT.  

People saying he's a wonderful man for doing this.... I tend to agree with what Bentrovato said.  You don't know what goes on behind closed doors. 

• Like 2

Think of it as a mere bauble from some over-privileged benevolent dictatoress whose supreme executive power derives from a farcical aquatic ceremony, not from a mandate from the masses, brothers and sisters!

Maybe he'll decline it on such grounds. :old:

Oliver Dowden has announced that the Birthday Honours will be delayed until the autumn. The Gov wants more time to go through the NHS, civil service etc. to list names of people who have contributed significantly during the coronavirus pandemic.

That’s a long wait when you’re 100 :unsure:

Knighthoods and Damehoods mean fuck all these days. When you’ve got the likes of Kelly Holmes getting them for winning a couple of medals it makes a mockery of the whole system.  Nobody gives a fuck who gets them nowadays.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ulitzer95 said:

as will Oliver Dowden has announced that the Birthday Honours will be delayed until the autumn. The Gov wants more time to go through the NHS, civil service etc. to list names of people who have contributed significantly during the coronavirus pandemic.

That’s a long wait when you’re 100 :unsure:

It's fucking ridiculous!

What is it with the British that they desperately need to champion people as heroes?

The NHS staff have done what the NHS staff are meant to do. The fact that it is a prolific virus with a high transmission rate is neither here nor there and, yes, I am fully aware of the governments failings on PPE.

It is like having Firemen( persons) spending the bulk of their career getting cats down from trees and putting out car fires and, suddenly, like, they have a REAL shout to go on.

You become a doctor, nurse, fireperson, soldier on the strict understanding that you may, one day, be called in to do some heavy shit, like go to war or summat.

If you want to clap for our 'heroes' do it for the staff at Tescos or the Bus drivers and all the others that earn even less than a nurse and were still dealing with the public, and dying, long before they were finally given 'protection' from the rest of us virus riddled bastards.

You know what will really happen though, Chris Witty will probably get knighted, as will other associated heads of this and heads of that, and within they will sprinkle the odd old duffer who knitted face masks in their porch.

We created dear old Tom, so desperate were we to have somebody to hang our fucking coats on and focus on.

He did his bit, many thanks, but the press and the media whipped up the public into a frenzy and the rest is history.

One day we may just actually get on with things instead of looking for people we can create 'heroes' out of.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

It's fucking ridiculous!

What is it with the British that they desperately need to champion people as heroes?

The NHS staff have done what the NHS staff are meant to do. The fact that it is a prolific virus with a high transmission rate is neither here nor there and, yes, I am fully aware of the governments failings on PPE.

It is like having Firemen( persons) spending the bulk of their career getting cats down from trees and putting out car fires and, suddenly, like, they have a REAL shout to go on.

You become a doctor, nurse, fireperson, soldier on the strict understanding that you may, one day, be called in to do some heavy shit, like go to war or summat.

If you want to clap for our 'heroes' do it for the staff at Tescos or the Bus drivers and all the others that earn even less than a nurse and were still dealing with the public, and dying, long before they were finally given 'protection' from the rest of us virus riddled bastards.

You know what will really happen though, Chris Witty will probably get knighted, as will other associated heads of this and heads of that, and within they will sprinkle the odd old duffer who knitted face masks in their porch.

We created dear old Tom, so desperate were we to have somebody to hang our fucking coats on and focus on.

He did his bit, many thanks, but the press and the media whipped up the public into a frenzy and the rest is history.

One day we may just actually get on with things instead of looking for people we can create 'heroes' out of.

Thank you for so eloquently putting what I’ve been wanting to say out loud for weeks but because I work in social care I’d be fucking slaughtered for it.  Unlike me to give a shit what other people think! 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Miracle Aligner said:

What would people feel with regards to Tom Moore being added to the list next year.

Right or 

Very reasonable deathlist pick.

So basically he has gone from being an unknown ex-soldier to a knight of the realm and national treasure in the space of a few months without even leaving his house.

• Like 1

He may not get to next years list, all the media pressure may get to him causing his heart to give out.

From nothing to nothing in less than a year.

1 hour ago, torbrexbones said:

He may not get to next years list, all the media pressure may get to him causing his heart to give out.

From nothing to nothing in less than a year.

Indeed - see the form guide on the MMMDP! 

;)

10 hours ago, Youth in Asia said:

So basically he has gone from being an unknown ex-soldier to a knight of the realm and national treasure in the space of a few months without even leaving his house.

If it wasn't for the circumstances this sounds like something from few hundred years ago where kings and queens were in the closet and to keep their partner in favour they promoted them to a high ranking status.

11 hours ago, Youth in Asia said:

Well he has left his house - but not his land.

2 hours ago, harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy said:

I'm sure Tom and his folks/supporters would be chuffed to see where his thread has headed.

Do we actually have a specific wanking thread btw? If not, we should have in these, er, difficult times.

Maybe Tom said he'd he'd wank round his garden 100 times and people just misheard?

D'ya know what - the western world is losing global influence during this pandemic and the post above just sparked a thought

If wanking were an international competitive event - we could line up every country on the planet and give a prize for the oldest competitor in each who could "generate fluid" 

Reality TV gold, basically. 

That's a reward for good health care, half-decent diets and the like, and the countries that saw themselves bossing the planet after WW2 and before Covid-19 threatened their sense of self-worth might do well. 

Like I said earlier on today somewhere hereabouts - beats me why I was sacked from every job in TV development production for I ever had!

• Haha 1

Old woman wanking up and down a hill now

FFS - (soon to be Lady) Joan Willet doing a Tom for charity up and down a hill outside her home. 

It says she's 104 in the headline but like the young lad Tommy boy (as she probably calls him) she's only 103 and doing it up to her 104th birthday on 19th July.

103 year old woman with trousers that high - I'm going for nipples beneath the belt. 

1 hour ago, Grim Up North said:

FFS - (soon to be Lady) Joan Willet doing a Tom for charity up and down a hill outside her home. 

It says she's 104 in the headline but like the young lad Tommy boy (as she probably calls him) she's only 103 and doing it up to her 104th birthday on 19th July.

103 year old woman with trousers that high - I'm going for nipples beneath the belt. 

I do a lot of wanking, but that’s some effort.

2 hours ago, Grim Up North said:

Aren't the over 70s in the 'shielding group' ie she shouldn't be leaving her bloody house if she wants to live.

The former teacher had life-saving valve replacement surgery after a second heart attack when she was 82.

She's had two fucking heart attacks, don't fancy here chances on a fucking ventilator. 

25 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

Will he make it - they rushing through his knighthood for this Friday.

15 minutes ago, Grim Up North said:

Knighthoods as a thing are pretty ridiculous but getting one for walking round and round your garden???

He only tried to raise £1,000 it was the social media masses that changed that modest goal into something quite awesome - he was almost a passive bystander to his achievements.

I hope the DL doesn't stoop so low to include someone FFWRHG. 

He's a pop star. His status is elevated simply by that dubious distinction.