Paul Bearer

Captain Tom Moore

54 minutes ago, HuHu said:

He had a good innings

And managed to tick of a last minute bucket list tab. Rest in Peace to a fantastic war hero, campainer and uniter of a a nation

RIP to a true Gentleman, A great effort appreciated by all bringing the nation together. Not many people will have had such a flourish late in life.

15 minutes ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

EtPCMoZXAAIifKg.jpg

I burst into tears when I saw that pic.I didnt think I would be so badly affected by the death of a 100  year old man ! :(

• Facepalm 2

31 minutes ago, CoffinLodger said:

I think I speak on behalf of everyone on the forum when I say I wish he was not the first hit.He is someone we can all emolate though for his brave fortitude in doing all that stuff for charity. The best of British ! 

Thought you wanted him dead cos he was a Tory? Do make up your mind Iain!

4 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Thought you wanted him dead cos he was a Tory? Do make up your mind Iain!

I would never say that ! Must have me mixed up with someone else...:unsure:

PS Downing Street flag has just been lowered to half mast.When was the last time that happened? Vera Lynns death maybe?

1 hour ago, msc said:

2021 killing off the plot threads from 2020.

Ah he was just a frail old man who loved the NHS (it having saved his life months before covid hit) - I don't think he was in full compos mentis understanding of everyone else from family to government running the Captain Tom thing as meme.

That's my opinion too. He was just someone who happened to get lucky that his charity walk went viral and ballooned. That's it. Plus he was of the generation that fought in WW2 - I stress I don't know the full details and only going by Wikipedia, but while I can't imagine serving in Burma was a bundle of laughs, I can't find anything that suggests heroism above and beyond the call of duty, nor was he a POW. Though it can be argued all those who fought in the war were heroes, there's nothing to suggest he was anyone special. Just a nice, ordinary man who got lucky late in life with a news story that blew up. 

All that said, RIP. Sad news, but not unexpected.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, CoffinLodger said:

I think the nation is in mourning .Very traumatic  for the country. Only the Queens death would be more sad or shocking right now 

Bollocks. 

Bollocks.

The Queen or Paul McCartney, probably. I'd say Cliff but there'll be too much snide and snark when he goes, sadly.

5 minutes ago, Cruyff's Turn said:

He did like Tubs de Pfeffel so, in a sense,  he had it coming.

Me and Kate Bush quite liked Theresa May and had hopes for her. Your point?

And before anyone pipes up "Tory!", lest we forget Kate wrote (admittedly in jest for a Comic Strip film) 'Ken'.

4 minutes ago, Vinegar Tits said:

Bollocks.

Tbf You could put that on a macro as a stock response to anything Iain says.

6 minutes ago, Vinegar Tits said:

Bollocks. 

Bollocks.

The Queen or Paul McCartney, probably. I'd say Cliff but there'll be too much snide and snark when he goes, sadly.

Traumatic and sad? Fuck no!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, CoffinLodger said:

I burst into tears when I saw that pic.I didnt think I would be so badly affected by the death of a 100  year old man ! :(

The death of a true garden hobbling legend ! I cried over many...oh I can’t be fucked.

• Haha 2

Still have no idea who this person was but congrats to the committee on their first hit of the year.

Just now, Salmon Mousse said:

Still have no idea who this person was but congrats to the committee on their first hit of the year.

Google is your friend.

1 minute ago, The Quim Reaper said:

Traumatic and sad? Fuck no!

He wrote 80% or all of  Eleanor Rigby depending on whose version you believe, but any proportion gets a pass from me.

Mind, he also wrote Mull of Kintyre and Pipes of Peace....so maybe. 

40 minutes ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

EtPCMoZXAAIifKg.jpg

eBay?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, En Passant said:

He wrote 80% or all of  Eleanor Rigby depending on whose version you believe, but any proportion gets a pass from me.

It’s great how subjective music is... incidentally this fact makes me dislike him about 80-100% more :D

Just now, The Quim Reaper said:

It’s great how subjective music is... incidentally this fact makes me dislike him about 80-100% more :D

Really? I listen to the lyrics of that which is odd enough in itself....

It moves me to tears every time, the simple lack of humanity, I cry over my breakfast cereal, over my bacon sandwich elevenses, lunch, dinner....oh I can't be fucked...

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Windsor said:

eBay?

No, FB Marketplace.

His family don't want to pay any ebay sellers fees.

They think it's extortionate.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Google is your friend.

His fame in the states is on par with Bill Gates' dad.  Probably less so.  This is not a criticism, mind you, just a statement of fact.

• Facepalm 3

22 minutes ago, Vinegar Tits said:

Bollocks. 

Bollocks.

No, I stand by what I  said.I think Captain Tom touched the nations hearts in a way that a mere pop star , even Paul McCartney, can never do. maybe I'm letting my emotions get the better of me though...:unsure:

5 minutes ago, Salmon Mousse said:

His fame in the states is on par with Bill Gates' dad.  Probably less so.  This is not a criticism, mind you, just a statement of fact.

Whilst he might not be a big deal in Americaland, he very much fits this bill:

99DD4313-C1B9-4BA0-9318-29C2BCB2108E.thumb.jpeg.030b415cd66611afbfc7ceb9bd366503.jpeg

Very fucking much. It’s plastered everywhere. We’ll all be wearing Cpt Moore face masks soon and his YNWA cover with Michael cunting Ball will likely be UK no.1 again this week.

45 minutes ago, Charles De Gaulle said:

Nah from what I've seen he enjoyed the limelight a lot. Like if you were that age and you suddenly became a megastar wouldn't you capitalise on that before you died?

Yeah im sure he loved it tbf, don't begrudge him at all, a true hero.  But his daughter definitely made sure his brand kept on rolling on and the money coming in.

30 minutes ago, Salmon Mousse said:

Been reported on CNN and in the NYT this afternoon.