Why does the 50th always die?

Disappointment of not being higher?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

image.thumb.png.9f152a788fde2db959f8fe7f554f75e7.png

Does United have a guy named Tom?

Just now, Spade_Cooley said:

image.thumb.png.9f152a788fde2db959f8fe7f554f75e7.png

Well, the DDP has already made a couple of Toms their captains.

19 minutes ago, En Passant said:

I'm up for Kushner getting a posthumous prize.

Ivanka is a murderous social climbing bitch and he is fodder. She will lay claim to it after his death. 

20 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Interesting. How do they do that? (And presumably "they" being groups like WWF?) Do they still just use the panda as the public face (even though it's no longer critically in threat) but divert funds to where they think it is better needed because that's what it will say in the small print after people pledge money?

Pretty much you give money to the WWF itself and unless its for a specific appeal (ie their current snow tiger one) it goes to where they want to use it. Which given they are the world wide fund, is only fair imo (and perfectly legal too, its in their print). But people do give them money for their mascot.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Dying Probably said:

image.png.76023013744e97ba5bafabdf1bef1dc4.png

Didn't we make this joke 4 years ago? It could've at least been something like "Captain Tom Mourn" or something.

image.png.cacea1a120f683451910f80bc654c8a0.png

You got your wish

Capture.PNG

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, xXConmanXx said:

Everybody dies, circle of life innit?

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

I do see your point. I've often thought about this myself. Fundraising is a difficult subject. I always see people on my Facebook doing "Stoptober" or running the London marathon etc. for causes. The question is, would people give generously to these charities if their outreach was limited to volunteers standing with a donations tin in the high street or running ads on television alone? Probably not.

Likewise, it can often take something or somebody out of the ordinary e.g. a 99 year old Army captain on a zimmer frame, for others to take any notice. I wouldn't say it's a bad thing. Would it be a BBC news story if a 30 year old man was doing laps round his garden for charity? No. That's just the reality of the situation and I don't think there's anything morally wrong about it either. Captain Tom wanted to do it, he wasn't forced, nor was he harming himself by doing those laps. In fact exercise is very important in your twilight years for extra months and years on the clock. 

Anyway, I understand that your point is "well it shouldn't take an old man on a zimmer frame exercising in order to pull in money" but trying to get people to give to charity on an ordinary basis is challenging. Maybe we should force the whole country to convert to Sikhism. They have to give 10% of their annual salary to charitable causes. :P

Agreed, fundraising raises all sorts of questions, and there are probably as many opinions as there are charities. Back when I was a student, I took part in a sponsored walk for the Friends of <redacted> Hospital; this was, iirc, (it was 40 years ago) to support the WRVS coffee shops and other voluntary services. One lecturer I approached for sponsorship refused outright, giving the reason that he doesn't believe in charity, everything should be paid for by taxes.  This was a point I hadn't previously considered, but from then on somewhat shaped my view of charitable giving (which isn't to say I don't give to charity). I'm more inclined to give for something that hasn't got the whiff of 'PR stunt' around it (this includes Red Nose Day, Comic relief and their ilk).

1 hour ago, xXConmanXx said:

Probably making up for all those years of Clive Dunn on #50. :clivedunn:

• Like 1

Interesting to hear the views on charitable giving and celebrity status in general.

What ever you think ,TM is deserving of respect because he fought, like countless others in WW2. There aren't many left, but when a guy in our street died a couple of years ago and it transpired he fought too, I made sure I went and paid my respects. 

TM's passing may have gone unnoticed but for his deeds last summer , however, I thank him and all those others that fought when they probably didn't want to. I daresay the majority would have been shitting themselves. 

• Like 1

From today's Metro

Screenshot 2021-02-03 170538.png

2 minutes ago, time said:

From today's Metro

Screenshot 2021-02-03 170538.png

I hear Leslie Phillips isn't doing much nowadays...

Sub-title to thread probably needs changing...

2 minutes ago, j0neseur0 said:

Nobody clapped on my road....

Nor mine, but then they didn’t for the other 110k people in this country who’ve died of Covid.

Don't know if this has already been written, but, as Ulitzer suggested, Captain Tom contracted COVID in hospital.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, j0neseur0 said:

Nor mine.

11 minutes ago, j0neseur0 said:

Nor mine and good job.

Bloody virtue signalling it is anyway. More about making sure you are seen to be supporting good causes than just quietly doing so.

Typical of BoJo to promote it, populism.

No clapping heard here either, but then the original NHS clapping only lasted until Farage plastered himself all over twitter.

58 minutes ago, j0neseur0 said:

Yep.Just Tumbleweed  here an all.

5 hours ago, Grim Up North said:

And hopefully this will be the end of it.

RIP Captain Tom (a normal person who lived a normal life until he walked round his garden and yet was still judged Death List worthy (he didn't even have special sperm like William H Gates)).

I would say if nothing else has come from the last 24 hours, it is that Captain Tom Moore was one of the most Death List worthy people on the list this year. Vera Lynn didn't get this level of media coverage and national mourning. Much as that entire sentence pains me to state.

4 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Likewise, it can often take something or somebody out of the ordinary e.g. a 99 year old Army captain on a zimmer frame, for others to take any notice. I wouldn't say it's a bad thing. Would it be a BBC news story if a 30 year old man was doing laps round his garden for charity? No. That's just the reality of the situation and I don't think there's anything morally wrong about it either. Captain Tom wanted to do it, he wasn't forced, nor was he harming himself by doing those laps. In fact exercise is very important in your twilight years for extra months and years on the clock. 

Without undermining his fundraising efforts, did he actually raise awareness of anything? We know the NHS is short on cash, and if nothing else has happened in the past year, the experiences of doctors and nurses and the strain on finances have been front-and-centre. How many people donated to him for the cause (which as you've said is not funding MRI scanners, etc. anyway) and how many just wanted to support his walk (jumped on the bandwagon - wait, who said that?!) Regardless, he still raised over £30 million for charity, which is money that will go to good use, whatever the motives of those who donated, and it's money they otherwise wouldn't have received.

4 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Interesting. How do they do that? (And presumably "they" being groups like WWF?) Do they still just use the panda as the public face (even though it's no longer critically in threat) but divert funds to where they think it is better needed because that's what it will say in the small print after people pledge money?

WWF still use the panda as their logo, but I guess the defence to the 'they just use it cos it's cute' argument (even though, that's completely the right argument to make!) is that they can point to the panda as a success story, like msc said - as in, see, the money works! Which is an important message to get out in itself. Anyway, wholly unrelated, here's some pandas enjoying the current US snow. :D

• Like 1

On 2 February 2021 at 19:22, maryportfuncity said:

Notapotato was a regular  hereabouts for a while and also a resident of Germany

Just wondering if he, or any other poster living in those parts has head a quiet popping of a cork and some muttering about which descendent of that cork-popping family was shot dead by Captain Tom back in the day. 

I doubt he shot anyone. He was a tank gunnery instructor.

2 minutes ago, Cruyff's Turn said:

Ok, shot them with a surprisingly large calibre...

6 minutes ago, Cruyff's Turn said:

The whole point being to get the stuff on target, then

You can doubtless judge my acquaintance with the Captain Tom legend by the fact I'm posting this as the BBC screen a tribute