Sign in to follow this  
Deathray

Sobriety thread

Anybody else on here teetotal and drug free? 

Any fellow straight edge homes want to discuss the perils of avoiding virtual pubs and how much better life is without the demon booze or drugs... 

• Like 1

You must all have faith in your dear lord and spurn the evil of drink and drugs. 

We can offer you a mind altering book called the Bible for about the price of a tenner bag, in the right hands it can make you believe as much bullshit as when your stoned. The quran and Torah are also available if you want a different strain. Comes with free paper for rolling and weekly tasting sessions. 

When they said "drug free", they didn't mean "off your meds".

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Lardy did say the other day that she hadn't had a drink since New Year's Eve.

I don't drink very often these days either.  Kind of lost the taste for it.

• Like 1

• Like 1

I’m a recovering alcoholic and I Have been off the booze now for probably two years though must admit I cannot remember the exact date I stopped. I use to be a heavy drinker, drinking up to 70 pints of Lager a week or up to 5 or 6 litre bottles of cider a session before usually passing out drunk. I did this for the best part of 10 years.

I wasn’t like most Alcoholics in the sense I spread my drinking out over the day I drank my alcohol over two or three hours trying to drink as much as possible before passing out drunk and almost dying from Alcohol poisoning on numerous occasions in fact how I didn’t is a miracle. I wasn’t a drinker who had to have a drink as soon as I got up like many drinkers as long as I got it in through out the day though saying that there was many days when the first thing I did was drink. I didn’t have really bad shakes without it but did sweat a lot, I could function to a point until I got my drink, I suppose I was more a binge drinker. I think if I had carried on it would of got to the stage were I was shaking and needing it first thing, maybe my age helped only early 30’s when stopped this time and I did have other periods of sobriety. I don’t really know but I do know I was getting worse and it was getting longer to recover than before.

To be honest I was still a mess losing friends, jobs, ending up in hospital and been arrested for drunken and disorderly or stealing booze. It really is no way to live.

In the end I think I just had enough. I can’t say I will never drink again because I probably will at some point but at the moment I have no desire to drink, I have stopped or tried to stop before and was successful for periods of time but never for as long as i have currently. Although generally I have no desire to drink there are occasions when I think it would be nice to have a couple but generally those thoughts don’t last long were as in the beginning it probably was the only thing on my mind 24/7. 

life overall is better, quieter more relaxing, boring compared to my drinking days, does sometimes bother me I’m now getting old before my time as I generally don’t go out at all now and don’t have many friends. I do feel life is passing me by. It is hard at times looking at Facebook and seeing other people who I went to School with or whatever getting on with there jobs and going out etc and I don’t do it anymore. Life isn’t perfect but it is certainly better gone are the days of fear knowing I had done something stupid because of the booze but not remembering because I had a blackout and the guilt was terrible so I would drink again to forget it was a vicious circle.

I do need to start going out more as I do feel I can go out without drinking were as in the beginning I couldn’t as temptation would of been too great. I’m generally happier even if it doesn’t sound like it but do need to get to next stage but it has been a long road and it takes time and at the moment CronaVirus and self isolation doesn’t help but it will pass eventually my goal is to start living a bit more again once it is all over.

I could do with finding work again though that is difficult as I’m registered carer looking after Father who had a stroke 13 years ago and has dementia and my Grandma who is almost 93, though still fairly healthy for her age she still needs help and it can be hard. I probably need to look at something part time to begin with as full time would be impossible with commitments but will have to figure it out. 

• Like 6

Been sober for over 26 years and off the fags for about a year longer, never did drugs although if you could see my weekly pill box you might question that.

I have an unopened bottle of rum in the kitchen cupboard that I have been close to opening a few times but I mostly just sit it on the desk in front of me and stare it down while remembering everything that I lost during my drinking days then it goes back in the cupboard until the next time.

The main thing that stopping drinking and smoking gave me was early retirement as I was smart enough to put the money that I used to spend into paying off the mortgage early and good savings accounts.

Quit booze in September last year, using a book by Jason Vale.  I don't miss it, though I've kinda replaced it with energy drinks, waaah. No white drugs in the last 10 years, last pot probably a year ago. Still smoke fags though.

Good on anyone who wants to quit, good on anyone who still enjoys a pint too. xxxx

For the record, the DL was invented during an evening of some inebriation.

46 minutes ago, harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy said:

Quit booze in September last year, using a book by Jason Vale.  I don't miss it, though I've kinda replaced it with energy drinks, waaah. No white drugs in the last 10 years, last pot probably a year ago. Still smoke fags though.

Good on anyone who wants to quit, good on anyone who still enjoys a pint too. xxxx

For the record, the DL was invented during an evening of some inebriation.

Yeah, a good point

I'm not recovering from anything - thankfully (and respect to those who are) -  but Harry's point above is worth a thought; you don't have to be buried in drink or drugs to enjoy some of the benefits (like the kind of humour that comes from a decent drinking session).  Oddly, I fucking love the trippiest and most insane psychedelic music - but I've no interest in doing the drugs others claim are essential in really getting into it. I do have a few mates/contacts who've gone that route and that's taken a toll on marriages, families and finances over the years. 

The worst thing about not drinking alcohol is waking up in the morning knowing that's the best you're going to feel all day.  :D

• Haha 3

14 minutes ago, Toast said:

The worst thing about not drinking alcohol is waking up in the morning knowing that's the best you're going to feel all day.  :D

Have you given up masturbation and sex as well Toast? :lol:

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Toast said:

Lardy did say the other day that she hadn't had a drink since New Year's Eve.

I don't drink very often these days either.  Kind of lost the taste for it.

This is true although it wasn’t a conscious decision, there just wasn’t an occasion that warranted a skinful and now we can’t go out so I’ve just not bothered. I don’t miss it.  I’ve thought of cracking one open at the weekends but I just can’t be bothered.  I always feel like shit for two days after and I also have realised that most people when drunk are complete fucking assholes and I don’t want to be like that, my old man turns into the biggest cunt living when he’s had a drink and it’s really not attractive. I’m gonna stick to pizza I think. 

2 hours ago, Lard Bazaar said:

This is true although it wasn’t a conscious decision, there just wasn’t an occasion that warranted a skinful and now we can’t go out so I’ve just not bothered. I don’t miss it.  I’ve thought of cracking one open at the weekends but I just can’t be bothered.  I always feel like shit for two days after and I also have realised that most people when drunk are complete fucking assholes and I don’t want to be like that, my old man turns into the biggest cunt living when he’s had a drink and it’s really not attractive. I’m gonna stick to pizza I think. 

This is more or less where I'm at.  I've tended to be a binge drinker, once I have a drink I want to keep drinking, but if not drinking I don't miss it. 

However I'm finding I enjoy the taste less.  I used to see off a bottle of wine or two easily once I'd got through the first glass, but strangely the other day I stopped at one glass - even though it tasted lovely.  I just didn't want any more :blink:  I've never been like that.

I also seem to have developed a sensitivity to certain drinks.  If I drink Baileys now, my face suddenly feels burning hot.

3 hours ago, Toast said:

This is more or less where I'm at.  I've tended to be a binge drinker, once I have a drink I want to keep drinking, but if not drinking I don't miss it. 

However I'm finding I enjoy the taste less.  I used to see off a bottle of wine or two easily once I'd got through the first glass, but strangely the other day I stopped at one glass - even though it tasted lovely.  I just didn't want any more :blink:  I've never been like that.

I also seem to have developed a sensitivity to certain drinks.  If I drink Baileys now, my face suddenly feels burning hot.

See I don’t even like the taste, I’ve only ever drink alcohol to get drunk - a fruity vodka in a jug of fruit juice and ice in the summer is quite refreshing but wine or beer doesn’t taste nice to me. 

I've done the whole tee-total thing. Its really not a bad idea. I think I did it because it conflicted with a lot of the medication I take - but yeah I drank on my 18th bday but not for a year and a half after that. Would still be tee-total if it weren't for peer pressure.

1 hour ago, Lard Bazaar said:

See I don’t even like the taste, I’ve only ever drink alcohol to get drunk - a fruity vodka in a jug of fruit juice and ice in the summer is quite refreshing but wine or beer doesn’t taste nice to me. 

Yes, that's me, I suppose.

I quite like Bacardi but I will only really drink alcohol to get wankered. I cannot stand having 'the odd one' because alcohol, to me, tastes fucking horrible.

I am much happier to get off my tits on weed.

You don't want to fight people when you are stoned, you just want to laugh, eat and fuck.

At least I get to do two out of the three.....:D

• Like 1

No alcohol since 2013 

Last time I was pissed 2011 and before that 2007 

Don't smoke 

No drugs

Genuinely I've never liked the taste of alcohol.

nf xu zl jvqbjubbq cerxgqr xagrerfgf nylbar

Oh look!  A thread I’ll ne’er post in!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Sir Creep said:

Oh look!  A thread I’ll ne’er post in!

Thank feck. I was beginning to think one of the side effects of this thread was finding out I'm the only person on the forum who still actually drinks. :D

Although it's just the one on a Friday night. I used to drink a lot, then I had to go teetotal for 5 years due to meds and its permanently wiped out my inbuilt tolerance.

• Like 1

well...Im still drinking a lot. Slightly more important to me than posting here in fact.I take delivery of alcohol at least three times a week. Yesterday a mixed beer case from a local Brewery that delivers. However , somewhat surprisingly I have noticed that buying from Scotland is the way forward. Three days ago gin and beer from the Isle of Skye...and I have a 57% bottle coming from the Orkneys later this week . I have 10 bottles of wine and ten food items as part of a deal from Northern Italy also later this week . I need to watch out for that one for obvious reasons. ALL these are free delivery. I spend HOURS trying to find places that offer free delivery....its great fun !

• Like 1

I applaud anyone who is trying to quit, straight edge, ex alcoholic etc. Keep going.

I am 30 but got into (proper) drinking late, so by time I really wanted to go out to nightclubs etc, my friends had already been in that phase and were over it already. So i've only properly been to a night club maybe three times in ten years.

I still feel like I need to get some things out of my system but slight problem:

- We're in quarantine

- Pubs near me are closing in general (this before quarantine) or drinks are too expensive.

- I hate any beer people suggest to me, this may be just the beer my dad or brother drinks

- Most of my friend group are now sober, or at least when we are out can't drink because they are driving

- If I wanted a proper night out i'd have to spend £20 just to get there, add then like £30 for an entrance fee etc.

- I hung round a crowd at college handful of times that drank in fields and introduced me to WKD etc but that got boring fast and so stopped. Especially when I one of their "friends" was a creep who kept trying to touch me up.

My parents go to France every year and so stock up on wine etc coming back and spend like 600 Euros to put in storage around the house etc. However they are not alcoholics. They can make 1 wine bottle last a week. Every now and then i'll have a small glass of red wine at dinner. Don't talk to me about white wine, hate it. Champagne on the other hand...

So yeah i've never had a hangover, got drunk properly maybe twice, drink mainly at Christmas or on my birthday. If out to dinner i'll have lemonade or vodka and lemonade.

• Like 1

Last paragraph. You sound like the most annoying fucker on  every Friday night. Every week. Every year. I did not drink. I am perfect. |In twenty years from now I will mention this. Again. Again. Again. Every fucking non drinker and born again non drinker I have every known. He/she did not like you then  and never will. Get over it. 

• Like 1