Sign in to follow this  
Joey Russ

Mike Gravel

The legendary Mike Gravel is 90 today, and I feel he’s very worthy of his own thread. It was him who put the pentagon papers in the Congressional Record, and he also ran for president twice, trying to push people more to the left of him. Now he has set up the Gravel institute to continue his legacy. Here’s hoping he lasts for a long time...

• Like 1

Well given this is an election year, if he hasn't run his last Presidential race it'll be quite notable in 2024!

• Like 2

I don’t know who the hell Mike Gravel is but I have a relative with that name.

Of Course whoever he is was thread worthy :rolleyes:

46 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

The legendary Mike Gravel

:rolleyes:

Never heard of him, and I would remember a name like that.

M'lords and lady, Mr Gravel is a 2 time Democratic Senator from the 1970s. He came back into vogue in the last decade with 2 (limited) Presidential runs and a focus on youth social media to push Democratic causes, hence his being a far bigger name to Rad and Joey's generation than to older folk. Sort of a Twitter American Tony Benn type for the under 25s, I think?

Anyhow I had heard of him somehow, because the name stands out. :D

EDIT - Oh yeah, he released the Pentagon Papers what brought about the end of the Vietnam War and the start of the Watergate stuff iirc. Anyhow, notable, but not in Britain.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A gritty thread, but not threadworthy on a UK forum. Abandon Gravel to the political frailty thread or US American Political Figures over 85 imo. :blink:

Edit: What the hell is he doing or what illness does he have that we can talk about?

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

A gritty thread, but not threadworthy on a UK forum. Abandon Gravel to the political frailty thread or US American Political Figures over 85 imo. :blink:

Edit: What the hell is he doing or what illness does he have that we can talk about?

Stone me, I don't wish to rock the boat or cause any aggregation, but I can't really see myself chipping in. Cheerio, must pebbledash. 

Sorry, that's the best I got :duck:

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

In other words, you're asking

Gravel, 'e ill?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Octopus of Odstock said:

Sounds like a character from the Flintstones. 

I mean, he’s not that far off from looking like Fred Flinstone tbh. Just need the bigger nose and the caveman clothes...

ADA9EC8A-6E3D-48CC-905D-E05762B290FE.jpeg.41ad3bdfdd018c282497cb75f07f2997.jpeg

07E7AD55-4E15-49DA-B339-048D4D818BFB.thumb.png.e7e4ec290470289ab294a85907975ec9.png

38 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

I mean, he’s not that far off from looking like Fred Flinstone tbh. Just need the bigger nose and the caveman clothes...

ADA9EC8A-6E3D-48CC-905D-E05762B290FE.jpeg.41ad3bdfdd018c282497cb75f07f2997.jpeg

07E7AD55-4E15-49DA-B339-048D4D818BFB.thumb.png.e7e4ec290470289ab294a85907975ec9.png

Good comparison. Looks like he needed to gain a little more weight too. But overall good comparison.

• Like 1

Last wishes include a desire to remain close to his home..... so they're just going to spread him on the drive 

:rolleyes:

• Haha 1

Was he gravely ill?

Edit: Eh, I see it had been done before.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1