A war with China, just what we need to get the economy back on track.

Does The Donald know about this?

I know a good war is a great way of distracting peoples' intention from sh*t happening elsewhere (e.g. Falklands never did Maggie Thatcher any harm) but don't think even BoJo and Donald are stupid enough to go to war with China over a territory that we effectively gave up on 23 years ago.

24 minutes ago, Great Uncle Bulgaria said:

I know a good war is a great way of distracting peoples' intention from sh*t happening elsewhere (e.g. Falklands never did Maggie Thatcher any harm) but don't think even BoJo and Donald are stupid enough to go to war with China over a territory that we effectively gave up on 23 years ago.

We gave it up on the condition of it's autonomy, it's autonomy is being comprised.

There's a massive principle at stake here about international treaties, it would be one of the few wars I'd personally support. 

Technically its only breaking the spirt rather than precise wording of the treaty.

Only half of it was given up - the other half lease run out and returned to China no matter what.

I cant see an invasion. It certainly would not be winnable.

The USA, the UK and Canada have many 5th columnists, who also happen to be Chinese, living in their countries. They would have to be removed from Western countries first or things would get even more bloodier. Don`t think this will happen though. More likely these nations and others would take in Hong Kong residents as refugees. More cost effective. Cheap labor, blah, blah, blah. 

• Confused 1

13 minutes ago, theoldlady said:

The USA, the UK and Canada have many 5th columnists, who also happen to be Chinese, living in their countries. They would have to be removed from Western countries first or things would get even more bloodier. Don`t think this will happen though. More likely these nations and others would take in Hong Kong residents as refugees. More cost effective. Cheap labor, blah, blah, blah. 

No, it really won’t. 

We and the world will do absolutely fuck all.

This is the best time for China to go in, the West is skint and it cannot afford to go to war, that is the bottom line.

What may well happen though, as we come out, will be a push to find a new China to invest in.

Chinas financial muscle was built on western money, the money China invests are the proceeds of high investment by western businesses.

I think the west will look to fuck China off and, pretty much ignore it as it moves forwards.

It will be another nation or nations that will benefit and so will we when the cheap goods start coming back in.

When you consider that, in my life time, millions of Chinese rode bikes to work, the transformation into a financial and industrial super power did not take that long really.

We may have to swallow some bad times for a future that could be brighter.

Funnily enough when I was a kid, the cheap crap was always "Made in Hong Kong".  It was a byword for cheap sub-standard goods.

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Toast said:

Funnily enough when I was a kid, the cheap crap was always "Made in Hong Kong".  It was a byword for cheap sub-standard goods.

Yes, it was!

Toys were always stamped that, cheap shit by the truckload!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Joey Russ said:

No, it really won’t. 

Many of the Chinese around the world like xi but think they would more likely flee to china than become gruelia warfare or spies.

1 hour ago, Toast said:

Yep! Absolutely.  I thought that 50 odd years ago. Still think the same. 

10 hours ago, theoldlady said:

The Chinese I am referring to here are main land Communist Chinese. I consider the folk in Hong Kong to be British Chinese. And yes, there are many spies and 5th columnists in the West. Loyalty is to China and always will be. 

Don`t forget that during WW2 all westerners were rounded up in China and other nations where the Japanese invaded. They did not go home until after the war ended. I knew a Jewish family who got trapped in the Philippines  during the war. The USA rounded up both Japanese and Germans. Not easy to know who the traitors are sometimes. 

When I grew up both made in China and Japan were considered CRAP - Now made in China stuff is crap. The Japanese seem to make really good products now. 

7 hours ago, The Old Crem said:

Many of the Chinese around the world like xi but think they would more likely flee to china than become gruelia warfare or spies.

The upper and richer classes will find a way to escape because of money - they are snowflakes any way and useless as soldiers (in some cases they can be good spies though - look at all the `Chinese students` studying abroad - scary indeed.)

I have a friend who lives/lived in Hong Kong and she is terrified of what China will do. She studied abroad in UK just to get away from them.

Also seem to be on topic of quality of goods in Hong Kong etc. I went there ten years ago with a friend and I can say that whatever I bought over there other than one top was either fake or broke within a few weeks. Though the safety standards in China compared to Hong Kong are better. I went across the border for a day to go to Shenzhen - within a few hours I nearly got killed by a taxi driver and then nearly got killed by open wires at Window of the World theme park.

• Like 1