Sign in to follow this  
The Great Cornholio

Longevity in the Family

Do you have anyone in your family who have miraculously over-exceeded the predicted lifespan? Or do you come from a family with a history of long-livers?

I'll start it off...

My grandad's aunt lived until she was 105. In fact, she lived for so long that she even outlived him. Even at the age of 105, she would still do paintings - so she pretty much remained physically and mentally intact even at the very end.

Winifred Carter (Grandpa's aunt who lived to 105).jpg

• Like 6

The opposite issue to be frank.

I'll consider drawing my pension an achievement by historical standards in our family, if retirement age ends up being 70 by then. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Miracle Aligner said:

The opposite issue to be frank.

I'll consider drawing my pension an achievement by historical standards in our family, if retirement age ends up being 70 by then. 

My maternal grandmother's side of the family is the same. Not many in that family made it past 70, very few made it past 80. 

Matter of fact, I'm not the healthiest person either - considering the fact that I am a smoker, I drink regularly and I have fattened up a lot over quarantine (not to the point of obesity but as of recent I have become more or less of a thicc boi).

All the men on my dad's side die young, mostly of cancer. My Dad had cancer seriously from mid-60s but was the first to survive past 70. The women on my mum's side  by contrast are pretty long-lasting. My great-grandma lived to be 101 despite having ten kids and being a huge fan of Bruce Forsyth.

I'd rather go sooner than later.  Everything goes downhill and nothing gets any better.  There's a worrying streak of longevity in the women in my paternal grandmother's line.  She made 100 herself, with sister, cousins, daughter all well into their 90s.

Everyone else is lucky to make 70.

2 minutes ago, Toast said:

I'd rather go sooner than later.  Everything goes downhill and nothing gets any better.

Alright, keep it light! :lol:

I agree though. At the moment I’m in enough of a state at 23 for fuck sake. I’d like 70 years maximum, or whenever I inevitably get dementia, whichever comes first.

Just now, Grim Up North said:

My great aunt who died in 2015 at age of 108

Is that old enough for you? :D

Careful Cat is capable of using this to identify you - you may receive a PM in a few days explaining your birth of date, first marriage and current location gleamed from genealogical sources and reminders about internet privacy. :lol::lol:

My granddad's aunt died with 101 when my grandfather was 68.

We have an ‘Oldest Person You Know‘ thread.  Or summat.  Pretty sure that would cover this.

Also, this inherently hurts the frail paper thin feelings of some of us who watch out relatives perish before 80 on a consistent basis.  It’s very hurtful.  Some may be in therapy did you consider that?  

SC

• Haha 2

my great grandmother is actually 100, her mother herself made it to 100, my other great grandmother died at 97, an other one at 99 and one of my great grandfather at 95. On the other hand, my grandmother died at 62, her father at 70 so quite mixed honestly… 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

We have an ‘Oldest Person You Know‘ thread.  Or summat.  Pretty sure that would cover this.

Also, this inherently hurts the frail paper thin feelings of some of us who watch out relatives perish before 80 on a consistent basis.  It’s very hurtful.  Some may be in therapy did you consider that?  

SC

Wait what? You are on a forum that treats death as a points system (nothing wrong with that IMO) and you're mad at me for potentially hurting the feelings of people on the forum who's relatives have died below the age of 80? Mate that is almost all of us, myself included. I would honestly never shame anyone over their dead relatives, as that is just plain low and unfunny.

Also if your feelings are paper thin then maybe you should ignore this thread and stick to the threads you wont find upsetting or triggering.

'KC'

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

SC

Oh just to expand on the point made by Creepy Pasta earlier:

On 28/05/2020 at 12:12, Kenny McCormick said:

Do you have anyone in your family who have miraculously over-exceeded the predicted lifespan? Or do you come from a family with a history of long-livers?

Here I said family history. This includes people who you wouldn't know such as great-grandparents and so on. So this thread is in its own right to exist as it does not fit within the guidelines of the oldest people you know thread. 

14 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

Think Sir Creep may have been less than entirely serious there.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

SC

Thank, SC, this would had me rolling, especially as someone decided to take it seriously.

I don't think any of my family have lived to get to 80.

My mothers mum died of TB at the age of 36, my fathers mother went at 61, my Dad at 72 and an aunt went at, around, 75.

We are not a big family, as such, my immediate family are very close but the rest of them are not overly important.

A good reason for me to act like a c**t, drive a Pontiac and get off my tits every weekend.

Go out with a bang, as they say.

I still have two great aunts aged 90 and 99 respectively. Two weeks ago one died from a stroke aged 97 and last October another one died at 100. All on my mother's side.

21 minutes ago, drol said:

I still have two great aunts aged 90 and 99 respectively. Two weeks ago one died from a stroke aged 97 and last October another one died at 100. All on my mother's side.

Sorry to hear about your great-aunt. Nevertheless very interesting.

My father and his father both barely made 50, while the female members of the family survived to reach a ripe old age.  My grandmother celebrated two silver wedding anniversaries with different husbands, which I am told is a fairly rare feat.

34 minutes ago, DevonDeathTrip said:

My father and his father both barely made 50, while the female members of the family survived to reach a ripe old age.  My grandmother celebrated two silver wedding anniversaries with different husbands, which I am told is a fairly rare feat.

Assuming I've got this right as married to one husband for 25 years and a second husband for 25 years.

That's bloody impressive, but it's worth remembering you could technically do that by age 66.

Three out of four grandparents made it to late 80s, the other died late 50s, both parents still alive and in late 60s, sister died at 43.  No centenarians in the family to my knowledge.  Brother probably won’t make old bones due to his debauched lifestyle and I’m very fat so not expecting a telegram from the queen either.  Have a nice day. 

• Like 1

I'm Russian. I'm turning 20 on the 13th of July. My dad will turn 52 on the 13th of June. My mom is turning 53 on the 12th of December.  My paternal grandfather has died at 84 (13.09.1931-19.01.2016) after a long (he fought it for 11 years) battle with prostate and colorectal cancer. My paternal grandmother died of thrombosis  at age of 81 in 2010 (26.06.1928-23.02.2010) My maternal grandfather died after accidentally inhaling carbon monoxide while working in his garage and collapsing  at his apartment's door at 71 (17.12.1932-18.10.2004). My maternal grandmother died of dementia, pancreatitis and diabetes at 83 (14.09.1932-26.04.2016).  My family members drink/drank alcohol only on New Year's Day or somebody's birthday.