Jill Biden is 71 today

C7AB229F-9484-4770-B079-62216A90BB62.jpeg

• Like 1

Suzi Quatro is 72 today. She came to prominence in 1973 with her second solo single Can the Can, which reached number one in Europe & Australia, being the first of several hits from the "Chinnichap" stable - Nicky Chinn & Mike Chapman. Never achieving the same success in her native USA, she was cast as Leather Tuscadero in Happy Days, following which she achieved her biggest US chart success with Stumblin' In, a duet with Chris Norman (of Smokie). He latest album The Devil In Me was released last year.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, time said:

Suzi Quatro is 72 today. She came to prominence in 1973 with her second solo single Can the Can, which reached number one in Europe & Australia, being the first of several hits from the "Chinnichap" stable - Nicky Chinn & Mike Chapman. Never achieving the same success in her native USA, she was cast as Leather Tuscadero in Happy Days, following which she achieved her biggest US chart success with Stumblin' In, a duet with Chris Norman (of Smokie). He latest album The Devil In Me was released last year.

After Ronnie Hawkins's death a few days back, I went down a brief Wiki rabbit hole of related artists and songs. It was hard not to smile upon learning "Susie Q" was covered by Suzi Quatro.

Best selling Scottish  novelist  Val McDermid, who has written many  murder mystery/ crime fiction  books  , celebrates her 67th birthday today. 

:birthday:image.thumb.png.b3c4c114d663e81d0454f55975c9e1ce.png

• Like 3

Ruth Westheimer, probably the world's most famous sex therapist, is 94.

image.jpeg.784911457d6b374bc7e40d04c8433250.jpeg

She also had a recurring segment on the PBS Kids series Between the Lions:

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Drewsky1211 said:

She also had a recurring segment on the PBS Kids series Between the Lions:

For some reason I read that as "between the loins". Can't imagine why.

• Haha 1

American actor and former rapper Mark Wahlberg  celebrates his 51st  birthday  today. 

Despite the many films he has starred in such as  Boogie Nights, Three Kings, Rock Star and The Gambler   he is probably still most famous for his Calvin Klein photoshoot in the 1990s which really boosted his fame levels and  offers from Hollywood .:birthday:

image.thumb.png.2774b12ccb06a351846a687e5a788f6f.png

• Like 2

Joe Clark, Canadian PM from 1979 to 1980, is 83.

image.jpeg.03d818bb053ceba2cf84525f46919f72.jpeg

• Like 1

Scottish singer Moira Anderson, once a staple of TV variety shows, including her own, is 84 today.

She made several appearances on The Good Old Days, was a subject of This is Your Life, was lampooned by The Two Ronnies and recorded an album with Harry Secombe.

She retired from showbiz in 2010, living on the Isle of Man; she sang two songs at Norman Wisdom's funeral.

• Like 1

Robert Kraft is 81 today

067F3A03-4118-492A-880D-D285D2331D7F.jpeg

image.thumb.png.22ad59aa804ee041d74f57407817fd82.png

image.png.49dbfb40a02304780ca9849fb2c9bfc1.png

Retired bodybuilder,  physique model and movie actor   Ed Fury celebrates his 94th  birthday today. 

In his latter career he starred in sword and sandals type films which helped showcase his physique and strength  particularly  in italian films such as the Ursus film  trilogy .

But in his earlier career he mainly had uncredited roles as scantily dressed male eye candy  mostly just dressed in swimwear  in films such as  Gentlemen prefer blondes with Jane Russell,  Dangerous when wet with Esther Williams,  Hell and High Water,  South Pacific and his first  role was in  1946 Deanna Durbin movie Because of him.

:birthday:

Former  World number one  tennis player and winner of more than ten grand slams Swedens Bjorn Borg  celebrates  his  66th birthday today. :birthday:image.thumb.png.121092fe661f1c9d430c07691592a58b.png

• Like 2

David Scott is 90 today

FE30978C-A3AE-4EAE-94F3-3E1DD920807A.jpeg

• Like 2

Former US sprinter Tommie Smith is 78 today. He won gold in the 1968 Olympic 200 metres - with the first official sub 20second time - and sparked controversy by displaying a Black Power salute atop the medal podium, with bronze medallist John Carlos (who incidentally was 77 yesterday). This lead to both men being being suspended from the team (on the orders of IOC President Avery Brundage; the USOC initially refused but capitulated when the whole track team was threatened with expulsion).

John_Carlos%2C_Tommie_Smith%2C_Peter_Norman_1968cr.jpg

• Like 3

Chapman Stick wizard Tony Levin is 76 today

image.png.4fc20cc64142a16fe790faf225fa2eb6.png

• Like 1

British adventurer and television presenter  Bear Grylls,  best known for his  numerous  survival competition  shows were  contestants  face tough challenges they need to overcome  in the wild, turns 48 today. 

image.png.0215e845280d9085339ea0ef6be4d2f3.png

Multi award winning American film director,  producer and screenwriter  James Ivory , founder of  film production  company  Merchant Ivory productions with his late partner  Ismail Merchant,  celebrates his 94th birthday today. 

He is the oldest person to win a competitive Oscar and BAFTA film award ages 89 for film  Call me by your name. 

image.png

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

Multi award winning American film director,  producer and screenwriter  James Ivory , founder of  film production  company  Merchant Ivory productions with his late partner  Ismail Merchant,  celebrates his 94th birthday today. 

He is the oldest person to win a competitive Oscar and BAFTA film award ages 89 for film  Call me by your name. 

image.png

Call Me By Your Name is a masterpiece and Ivory deserve it. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Gisooo said:

Call Me By Your Name is a masterpiece and Ivory deserve it. 

Such a shame that a film sequel has been scuppered  became of the offscreen  behaviour of Armie Hammer. 

• Like 1

Virginia McKenna is 91 today. 

Famed as an actress in films such as Carve Her Name With Pride and Born Free, she's also a noted conservationist.

Along with husband Bill Travers and son Will Travers, she founded Zoo Check, which aimed to ensure the welfare of zoo animals, and to ensure they were kept in a suitable environment. This organisation was renamed The Born Free Foundation in 1991, and currently has active conservation programmes in 20+ countries.

See the source image  Virginiamckenna westminster (cropped).jpg

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

Such a shame that a film sequel has been scuppered  became of the offscreen  behaviour of Armie Hammer. 

Yes, I was waiting for the sequel. I love Armie Hammer and I believe he is innocent. Johnny Deep same case and I am so happy he won this battle.

Tom Jones is 82 today

3A0CECC7-C052-48F5-895C-72396C00CD6B.jpeg

Mike Pence is 63 today

B3C19A78-DC4D-40C4-A49E-FED4478690C7.jpeg

image.png.96c9134810159708d87894add02c8038.png:birthday:

British actress  Millicent Martin celebrates her 88th birthday today. 

The accomplished actress of stage and screen  was tony nominated for her role in theatre show Side by side by Sondheim and starred in numerous other successful stage productions such as 42nd Street  and King of hearts. 

In film Millicents credits include  Alfie  where Michael Caine was her costar and film adaptation of a stage musical  Stop the world-I want to get off .

A recurring role on US sitcom  Frazier  playing Gertrude Moon  and four years in US Daytime soap  Days of our lives are some of her more recent work.

Former England International cricketer  Derek Underwood  celebrates his 77th birthday today. He played for the national team from 1966-1982.

image.png

• Like 3

Twitter \ Russty_Russ #Retro on Twitter: "@Camwoj145 @FDinenage Fred has  been involved doing the regional news in the South since the 70s. I don't  think he will ever step down :-)"

Happy 80th birthday to everyone's favourite kids' TV science host/serial killer expert, Fred Dineage. Has the feel of a future DL name if he can make it to 2032.

• Like 3