YoungWillz

The Deathlist Poker Tournament 2020

7 minutes ago, Toast said:

Does it matter that I already hold that card?

No - Sub cards count face value only. The only game apart from Hartlepool where your subs gain points.

Edit: But A = 14, K = 13, Q = 12; J = 11.

• Thanks 1

Card Roulette Machine fires up.

Eight of Diamonds Jack of Hearts Six of Diamonds King of Clubs Ace of Diamonds Eight of Hearts Ace of Spades Nine of Spades Two of Spades Queen of Hearts Four of Clubs Ten of Diamonds Two of Diamonds Nine of Clubs Two of Hearts Five of Clubs King of Hearts Ten of Spades Queen of Diamonds Five of Hearts Six of Hearts Six of Spades Six of Clubs King of Diamonds Four of Diamonds Ace of Hearts
26 Remaining Cards26 Remaining Cards26 Remaining Cards26 Remaining Cards26 Remaining Cards26 Remaining Cards26 Remaining Cards26 Remaining Cards26 Remaining Cards26 Remaining Cards26 Remaining Cards26 Remaining Cards26 Remaining Cards26 Remaining Cards26 Remaining Cards26 Remaining Cards26 Remaining Cards26 Remaining Cards26 Remaining Cards26 Remaining Cards26 Remaining Cards26 Remaining Cards26 Remaining Cards26 Remaining Cards26 Remaining Cards26 Remaining Cards

Timestamp: 2020-10-31 11:44:33 UTC

New leaderboard follows shortly.

Dead So Far:

Georg Ratzinger - 1 July

Everton Weekes - 1 July

Earl Cameron - 3 July

Nick Cordero - 5 July

Ennio Morricone - 6 July

Mark Naley - 6 July - No Obit

Johnny Beattie - 9 July

Paik Sun-yup - 10 July 

Judy Dyble - 12 July

Zizi Jeanmaire - 17 July

John Lewis - 17 July

Lone Dybkjaer - 20 July - No Obit

Stuart Wheeler - 23 July

David Hagen - 24 July 

John Saxon - 25 July

Olivia de Havilland - 25 July

Lee Teng-hui - 30 July

Sydney Lotterby - 30 July

Wilford Brimley - 1 August

Bob Ryland - 2 August

John Hume - 3 August

Sumner Redstone - 11 August

Hal Singer - 18 August

Frankie Banali - 20 August

"Bullet" Bob Armstrong - 27 August

Pat Smullen - 15 September

Stanley Crouch - 16 September

Ruth Bader Ginsburg - 18 September

Lee Kerslake - 19 September

Michael Lonsdale - 21 September

Jackie Stallone - 21 September

Tommy DeVito - 21 September

Juliette Greco - 23 September

Bob Gibson - 2 October

Mohammad-Reza Shajarian - 8 October

Conchata Ferrell - 12 October

Marge Champion - 21 October

Bruce Reid - 27 October - No Obit

Nobby Stiles - 30 October

Mikhail Zhvenetsky -  6 November - No Obit

Jeanne Little - 7 November

Alex Trebek - 8 November

Peter Sutcliffe - 13 November

Des O'Connor - 14 November

Jan Morris - 20 November

Diego Maradona - 25 November

Death Impends: 1238 Points (Ratzinger; Jn Lewis; Wheeler; Hagen; Teng-hui; Redstone; Banali; Armstrong; DeVito; Gibson) (Sub: de Havilland [2 Hearts]) (MD: J[8]; A[3]; S[10]; O[10])

Cards Played: King of HeartsFive of SpadesEight of ClubsTen of SpadesTen of DiamondsSix of DiamondsFour of ClubsJack of DiamondsAce of ClubsQueen of SpadesSeven of Spades

Sean: 1232 Points (Cordero; Jn Lewis; Wheeler; Teng-hui; Brimley; Hume; Banali; Stiles; Little; Trebek) (Sub: Weekes [Q Spades]; Ginsburg [7 Diamonds]) (MD: J[4]; A[6]; S[5]; O[K])

Cards Played: Eight of HeartsFour of HeartsJack of SpadesQueen of ClubsEight of SpadesKing of ClubsEight of ClubsJack of DiamondsNine of SpadesSeven of Clubs

An Fear Beag: 1230 Points (Ratzinger; Jn Lewis; Teng-hui; Redstone; Banali; Smullen; Gibson; Stiles; Trebek) (Sub: Cordero [5 Diamonds]) (MD: J[J]; A[6]; S[4]; O[A])

Cards Played: Jack of ClubsFour of SpadesSeven of HeartsNine of DiamondsTwo of SpadesTen of DiamondsAce of ClubsSeven of SpadesSeven of DiamondsTwo of Clubs

Joey Russ: 1218 Points (Ratzinger; Cordero; Dyble; Jn Lewis; Wheeler; Hagen; Teng-hui; Banali; Armstrong; Gibson; Trebek) (MD: J[2]; A[A]; S[5]; O[Q])

Cards Played: Queen of HeartsSeven of HeartsAce of HeartsTwo of DiamondsAce of DiamondsKing of HeartsFour of ClubsKing of ClubsEight of SpadesFive of DiamondsSeven of Diamonds

Grim Up North: 1063 Points (Cordero; Jn Lewis; Hagen; Banali; Armstrong; Smullen; Kerslake; Stiles; Trebek) (Sub: de Havilland [9 Clubs]) (MD: J[2]; A[8]; S[5]; O[4])

Cards Played: Six of SpadesFive of ClubsAce of ClubsThree of HeartsEight of SpadesNine of DiamondsFour of ClubsFour of SpadesTwo of Diamonds

Perhaps: 1013 Points (Ratzinger; Jn Lewis; Teng-hui; Redstone; Banali; Smullen; Gibson; Trebek; D. O'Connor) (Sub: Kerslake [K Hearts]; Stiles [J Clubs]) (MD: J[2]; A[5]; S[2]; O[5])

Cards Played: Three of ClubsSeven of SpadesTen of ClubsSix of SpadesQueen of ClubsTen of SpadesSeven of HeartsEight of HeartsThree of Hearts

msc: 980 Points (Ratzinger; Jn Lewis; Wheeler; Hagen; Banali; Armstrong; Singer; Gibson; Trebek) (Sub: Cordero [Q Spades]) (MD: J[K]; A[K]; S[3]; O[4])

Cards Played: Jack of ClubsKing of HeartsEight of SpadesTen of DiamondsQueen of HeartsQueen of SpadesFive of HeartsThree of HeartsKing of Spades

The Quim Reaper: 963 Points (de Havilland; Teng-hui; Hume; Redstone; Banali; Ginsburg; Stiles; Trebek) (MD: J[4]; A[10]; S[4]; O[10])

Cards Played: Queen of SpadesEight of DiamondsJack of DiamondsJack of ClubsThree of ClubsFour of DiamondsKing of ClubsThree of Spades

gcreptile: 942 Points (Ratzinger; Hagen; Banali; Armstrong; Crouch; Kerslake; Shajarian) (Sub: Cordero [A Diamonds]) (MD: J[J]; A [J]; S[Q]; O[9])

Cards Played: Nine of ClubsNine of SpadesSeven of HeartsTwo of ClubsSeven of SpadesNine of HeartsFive of Diamonds

Banana: 793 Points (Jn Lewis; Hagen; de Havilland; Teng-hui; Banali; Smullen; Trebek) (Sub: Cordero [J Clubs]) (MD: J[10]; A[10]; S[A]; O[K])

Cards Played: Five of SpadesQueen of DiamondsThree of HeartsFive of ClubsTwo of ClubsQueen of SpadesSix of Spades

Captain Chorizo: 793 Points (Ratzinger; Jn Lewis; Hagen; Teng-hui; Banali; Armstrong)(MD: J[6]; A[9]; S[Q]; O[6])

Cards Played: Two of SpadesJack of DiamondsBlack JokerSeven of SpadesNine of DiamondsKing of HeartsJack of Clubs

YoungWillz: 759 Points (Morricone; Jn Lewis; Redstone; Ginsburg; Kerslake; Stiles; Trebek) (MD: J[K]; A[9]; S[A]; O[8])

Cards Played: Seven of SpadesTwo of DiamondsFour of SpadesQueen of HeartsThree of DiamondsThree of HeartsAce of Diamonds

Clorox Bleachman: 660 Points (Ratzinger; Cordero; Jn Lewis; Banali; Armstrong; Trebek) (Sub: Sutcliffe [8 Diamonds]) (MD: J[A]; A[J]; S[J]; O[6])

Cards Played: Jack of HeartsSeven of SpadesJack of DiamondsTwo of SpadesTen of HeartsThree of Hearts

Yorkshire Banker: 597 Points (Weekes; Beattie; Teng-hui; Banali; Trebek) (Sub: Cameron [Q Diamonds]) (MD: J[9]; A[2]; S[K]; O [6])

Cards Played: Red JokerJack of SpadesNine of SpadesAce of ClubsKing of Hearts

theoldlady: 590 Points (Cameron; Jn Lewis; Banali; Stiles; Trebek) (MD: J[5]; A[4]; S[8]; O[8])

Cards Played: Ace of HeartsTwo of HeartsThree of DiamondsTwo of SpadesQueen of Clubs

DeathByArsenic: 588 Points (Jeanmaire; Lonsdale; Greco; Ferrell; Trebek) (MD: J[10]; A[J]; S[3]; O[9])

Cards Played: Three of SpadesRed JokerFive of ClubsEight of DiamondsAce of Spades 

The Old Crem: 552 Points (Cordero; Lewis; de Havilland; Hume; Redstone) (Sub: Maradona [2 Spades]) (MD: J[Q]; A[A]; S[8]; O[6])

Cards Played: Three of SpadesTwo of HeartsSeven of HeartsFour of DiamondsTwo of Diamonds

Bibliogryphon: 397 Points (Weekes; Jeanmaire; Stallone) (MD: J[A]; A[K]; S[2]; O[K])

Cards Played: Ace of HeartsRed JokerSeven of Spades

Great Uncle Bulgaria: 386 Points (Ginsburg; Stallone; Stiles) (MD: J[8]; A[3]; S[J];O[A])

Cards Played: Black JokerSeven of DiamondsThree of Hearts

JoeMoneypenny: 381 Points (Weekes; Sun-yup; Ryland) (MD: J[4]; A [Q]; S[K]; O[2])

Cards Played: Eight of HeartsFive of SpadesBlack Joker

markb4: 375 Points (Jn Lewis; Ginsburg; Trebek) (Sub: de Havilland [6 Diamonds]; Champion [9 Hearts]) (MD: J[8]; A[Q]; S[9]; O[J])

Cards Played: Ace of ClubsAce of DiamondsFour of Clubs

Toast: 336 Points (Lotterby; Lonsdale; Morris) (Sub: Stiles [6 Spades]) (MD: J[K]; A[6]; S[9]; O[2])

Cards Played: Queen of ClubsThree of DiamondsFour of Spades

Miracle Aligner: 326 Points (de Havilland; Stiles; Trebek) (MD: J[7]; A[2]; S[7]; O[5])

Cards Played: Three of HeartsAce of Hearts King of Hearts

CalebH: 159 Points (Trebek) (Sub: Maradona [K Spades]) (MD: J[Q]; A[10]; S[Q]; O[Q])

Cards Played: Two of Diamonds

Gooseberry Crumble: 42 Points (Sub: Saxon [4 Clubs]) (MD: J[3]; A[9]; S[Q]; O[A])

Guy From Future: 36 Points (Sub: Maradona [8 Spades]) (MD: J[4]; A[9]; S[K]; O[2])

• Like 1

Still waiting for Mikhail Zhvenetsky to Qobit, if gcreptile wants some sub points.

Jeanne's death means there's Little change in the leaderboard. Actually, I'm joking, it's a huge change in the leaderboard.

Sean had Little/Mitchell and she was a unique for him. No bonuses, however.

I believe for the first time Sean is in first place.

Leaderboard updated.

The leaderboard has been updated for Trebek's demise.

However, as the Strictly results show is about to start, a fuller report will follow.

Big shake up at the top.

Ok, so the leaderboard is tighter at the top than a nun with a squeeze of lemon!

A LOT of players had Alex Trebek - which is why it took me over an hour to update the leaderboard.

Bonuses awarded as follows:

YoungWillz hits A Diamonds - 5 Additional Points.

Death By Arsenic hits A Spades (the A of Spades) - 5 Additional Points.

Joey Russ: Pair 7s - 10 Points; Two Pair (7s and As) - 15 Points; Two Pair (7s and Ks) - 15 Points - Total: 40 Additional Points.

msc: Pair Ks - 10 Points; Two Pair (Ks and Qs) - 15 Points - Total: 25 Additional Points.

Death Impends: Straight (4, 5, 6, 7, 8) - 30 Additional Points.

The Quim Reaper: Pair 3s - 10 Additional Points

Captain Chorizo: Pair Js - 10 Additional Points.

Grim Up North: Straight (A, 2, 3, 4 Clubs, 5) - 30 Points; Straight (A, 2, 3, 4 Spades, 5) - 30 Points; Straight (2, 3, 4 Clubs, 5, 6) - 30 Points; Straight (2, 3, 4 Spades, 5, 6) - 30 Points - Total: 120 Additional Points.

An Fear Beag: Pair 2s - 10 Points; Two Pair (2s and 7s [Hearts and Spades]) - 15 Points; Two Pair (2s and 7s [Hearts and Diamonds]) - 15 points; Two Pair (2s and 7s [Spades and Diamonds]) - 15 Points; Full House (7s over 2s) - 80 Points - Total: 135 Additional Points.

So Sean only had a one day lead before Death Impends muscled into that position. Sean stays within card distance in second and, with all those bonuses, An Fear Beag finds himself in 3rd.

Also, here is your first reminder that all Jokers already played MUST be cashed in by 23:59:59 on 30 November. The only exceptions I will allow will be those who hit a Joker on 29 or 30 November - those will need to be cashed in within 48 hours of the leaderboard being updated, as will all Jokers hit in December.

Red Jokers - Red Card; Black Jokers - Black Card.

Remember - your Joker(s) must not be a card you already hold for any one of your 25 main team names.

If anyone needs help in maximising their points because they are not sure of the Poker game, the help desk is available via DM.

16 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

So Sean only had a one day lead before Death Impends muscled into that position. Sean stays within card distance in second and, with all those bonuses, An Fear Beag finds himself in 3rd.

Fuck it - all of a sudden that missing sub is starting to look a bit important. :facepalm:

Clorox Bleachman had Peter Sutcliffe as a sub and draws 8 Diamonds for 8 Points added.

Leaderboard updated.

The smooth sound of light entertainment over the speakers today is a tribute to Des O'Connor who has died.

Providing a unique hit for Perhaps.

Bonuses:

Pair 3s - 10 Points; Two Pair (3s and 7s) - 15 Points; Two Pair (3s and 10s) - 15 Points - Total: 40 Additional Points.

Leaderboard updated.

So, no converted Jokers as yet. Probably right, there might be hits in short measure which may change tactics. Remember, Jokers in this game are cards issued at random at the start of the game, not like other games where you have picked a Joker.

Anyhow, I promised a player that I would post a simple guide on converting Jokers to maximise your points total. You might want to copy and paste it in case you have to move off this page or need to refer to it later.

Convert - A - Joker Simple Players' Guide.

1. Have I been issued with a Joker card?

Your team of 25 are issued with random cards at the start of the game. One or two of these may be a Joker. Check your team on the Masterlist on page 1 of this thread.

NO - Stop reading here.

YES - Go to Number 2.

2. Has my Joker been played?

Jokers are played (like any other card) when your pick which has been assigned a Joker dies and receives a Qualifying Obit. There are a couple of ways to check if your Joker has been played.

2.1 Check the latest leaderboard, find your name and check the cards played underneath your name. If a Joker card is there, you have played it. OR

2.2 Check the Masterlist on page 1 of this thread. If the name of your pick which has been assigned a Joker card is crossed out in red, it has been played.

NO - Stop reading here.

YES - Go to Number 3.

3. What does "converting a Joker" mean?

Once played, Jokers can be exchanged for another card in order to achieve bonus points associated with poker hands. These bonuses are detailed in the Rules section on page 1 of this thread.

The exchange of a Joker to another card is known as converting a Joker in this game. More on this later.

Go to Number 4.

4. When was my Joker played?

Jokers are not played when your pick dies. Jokers are played for the purposes of this game when the leaderboard is updated with the death of your pick with a Qualifying Obit and you receive the 50 Point bonus. This is important as there are deadlines for converting your Joker.

4.1 My Joker was played on or between 1 July 2020 and 28 November 2020. The deadline for converting your Joker is 23:59 GMT on 30 November 2020.

4.2 My Joker was played on or between 29 November 2020 and 7 January 2021. The deadline for converting your Joker is 48 hours after the leaderboard is updated with the death of your pick.

No exceptions, you miss the deadline, you can't subsequently convert.

Go to Number 5.

5. Hang on, only deaths on or before 31 December 2020 count. Why is there an extra period at 4.2 above for converting my Joker?

There is a period of grace after 31 December 2020 to allow for late notification of deaths. A death may occur on or before 31 December 2020 but not be notified until the period of grace. Jokers hit by this method may still be converted.

Go to Number 6.

6. My Joker pick is dead but hasn't got a Qualifying Obit or hasn't been shown on the list of the dead on the Leaderboard. I don't want to miss the deadline. What's up with that?

Fear not. As stated at Number 4 above, it's not the date of death, it's the date the leaderboard is updated that is important. If your pick is dead without a Qualifying Obit and I know about it, the name of the pick will be coloured blue on the Masterlist on page 1. If your pick is dead and I don't know about it, tell me! If they subsequently receive a Qualifying Obit and you receive the 50 Point bonus, the date it is posted to the leaderboard is the relevant date for the deadlines. E.g. your Joker pick dies in August 2020 without a Qualifying Obit. The Qualifying Obit comes in on 15 December 2020 and the leaderboard is updated. You have 48 hours after the leaderboard is updated to convert your Joker in accordance with 4.2 above.

Go to Number 7.

7. Do I want to convert my Joker?

It's not compulsory. Captain Chorizo won last year without converting his Joker. Admittedly, he already had a huge lead.

Why wouldn't you? You have a chance to increase your points total and there's help at the helpdesk (as outlined later).

NO - stop reading here.

YES - go to Number 8.

8. Are there any rules about converting my Joker I should know about?

Yes.

8.1 If your Joker is Black, you can only convert it to a Black Card (Clubs or Spades).

8.2 If Your Joker is Red, you can only convert it to a Red Card (Diamonds or Hearts).

8.3 You cannot convert your Joker to another Joker (basically because that would be silly and it would be a different colour anyway!).

8.4 You cannot convert your Joker Card to another card which has already been issued to you for a member of your team of 25. E.g. if you have a hit with a Black Joker and you want to convert it to 2 Spades, but 2 Spades already has been allocated to another member of your team, you can't do that and have to pick another Black card. Check the Masterlist for the cards already allocated to your team which a Joker cannot be converted to.

Go to Number 9.

9. The card I want to convert to doesn't fall foul of 8.4 above, but has been given to me as a sub card or issued to me in the monthly draw. Can I convert to that card?

Yes. Sub cards and Monthly Draw cards are essentially allocated a numerical value only and do not form part of the Cards Played by you.

Go to Number 10.

10. I don't know how to maximise my points/I have too many options/I don't play Poker/I have played so many cards I'm confused/Life is too difficult for me to be bothered working this shit out! How can I convert my Joker to get the maximum number of points?

Help is available at the helpdesk by PM'ing me. I want you to succeed in getting as many points as possible. Your Joker card when converted can make hands which give you bonuses as outlined in the Rules Section on page 1. There are essentially two tactics:

10.1 Gain the maximum number points for an instant hit with the cards you hold already.

10.2 Play a card which might, on a future death, make a bonus hand which might be worth more in the long run. This is really for the gambling player.

I will try and offer you options on both, but the final decision is yours.

Go to Number 11.

11. How do I intimate my choice of card to which I am converting my Joker?

Post it on the thread no later than the relevant deadline.

Hopefully this is fine to answer most queries, but the helpdesk is always available.

YW.

• Thanks 2

Yeah, I know shit all about Poker. And I’ve two jokers to convert. So I’m feeling like a horse that’s just been given 20 grand to book a nice holiday. 

Erm... ... ...Jack of Diamonds and King of Clubs please? They at least sound good.

15 minutes ago, The Quim Reaper said:

Yeah, I know shit all about Poker. And I’ve two jokers to convert. So I’m feeling like a horse that’s just been given 20 grand to book a nice holiday. 

Erm... ... ...Jack of Diamonds and King of Clubs please? They at least sound good.

Straight in without any help?

Wow.

I'll nip out for a ciggie and work out whether I need to do much!

8 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Straight in without any help?

Wow.

I'll nip out for a ciggie and work out whether I need to do much!

I think they both rely on more deaths to earn me anything...I’d need Prince Philip for a JQK of Clubs, or a Tobin and/or DingDong to get a set of J’s. So they’re very much both gambles. But, as my fast-establishing thematic buzzword goes, it’s worth a punt innit.

Right.

The Quim Reaper converts both Jokers played.

Converting Red Joker to J Diamonds - Bonuses: Pair Js - 10 Points; Two Pair - (Js and 3s) - 15 Points - Total: 25 Additional Points.

Converting Black Joker to K Clubs - No Bonuses.

Leaderboard updated.

Jan Morris is history.

A unique pick for Toast.

No bonuses, leaderboard updated.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Jan Morris is history.

A unique pick for Toast.

No bonuses, leaderboard updated.

ISTR that you hadn't heard of her, Willz.  But as I expected, instant front page obit on the BBC site.  She would have been a good DL pick.

23 minutes ago, Toast said:

ISTR that you hadn't heard of her, Willz.  But as I expected, instant front page obit on the BBC site.  She would have been a good DL pick.

I hadn't really heard of her either (it's an age thing) but I got the news from *two* members of my own family texting me the news, so that tells me she was a proper big name.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, msc said:

I hadn't really heard of her either (it's an age thing) but I got the news from *two* members of my own family texting me the news, so that tells me she was a proper big name.

:old:

• Haha 1

It's great to be too young to know anything about her! :D

Admittedly, I'm caught in the crossfire, being too old to know of some folk. Mainly instantaneous celebs who haven't earned their right to be famous, and those YouTubers and "Tik Tokkers"? most of whom only seem to have enough content for 10 minutes a month.

It is interesting to see people's picks, but most are not for me. I've said it before, if a celeb death means nothing to me at all, it's meaningless for me to pick them. No matter how many points it might get me. Points are for winners, ha!

Three folk waiting for their sub Maradona to gain a Qobit….

Update soon?

6 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Three folk waiting for their sub Maradona to gain a Qobit….

Update soon?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54810392

Beeb for here and DDP and fucking everywhere...

• Haha 1

Chap always blamed for a refereeing error, Diego Maradona has the wrong kind of by-line. Only sub hits.

Guy From Future draws 8 Spades - 8 Points added.

Caleb H draws K Spades - 13 Points added.

The Old Crem draws 2 Spades - 2 Points added.

Leaderboard updated.

Only a few days to convert Jokers played...

• Like 2

16 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Chap always blamed for a refereeing error, Diego Maradona has the wrong kind of by-line. Only sub hits.

Guy From Future draws 8 Spades - 8 Points added.

Caleb H draws K Spades - 13 Points added.

The Old Crem draws 2 Spades - 2 Points added.

Leaderboard updated.

Only a few days to convert Jokers played...

I have decided to not convert mine.

2 hours ago, The Old Crem said:

I have decided to not convert mine.

You haven't played your Joker yet. If Prince Philip goes, perhaps revisit this decision and follow the simple guide posted earlier.

• Like 1