faustus

Pink Floyd

Yes, the drug induced founder member of Pink Floyd ( my fave band ) is 59 today, but how much longer will he last ? He never gives interviews, so we don't know too much about his present state of health.....does anybody have any info about him ?.....

• Like 1

oh dear ! do none of you guys have any taste in music !....never mind...

Once upon a time, Pink Floyd rocked.

Although it is good to see the old original band merchandise still being faithfully worn by the original fans, although most of them are in their late 70's. Only the other day a rather elderly looking gentleman boarded my packed commuter train with a clothing garment that, a long time ago, used to be a Pink Floyd rock concert t-shirt. It listed all the greatest angry guitar moments that the world had ever seen on the back, in chronological order. I couldn’t make out all of the dates because his long mullet protruded over some of the dates. The shirt had just about given itself up for the dustbin, losing out on the chance to finally lay to rest on the Oxfam shop's 99p rail. It is my guess that perhaps a strenuous 60-degree washing cycle had rendered it almost entirely white in colour. Although, no doubt such a hot setting was needed though to get the sweat out of the armpits, after too many a hard night’s rocking sessions.

Point taken...

YEP !!!

Yes, the drug induced founder member of Pink Floyd ( my fave band ) is 59 today, but how much longer will he last ? He never gives interviews, so we don't know too much about his present state of health.....does anybody have any info about him ?.....

Getting back to the topic, according to IMDB, he has Diabetes.

Guest Barrett Fan

Hi. i am young but i loooove pink floyd.....anyways Syd Barrett is the best. does anyone know where i can find some current information on him?

Guest guesty
Hi. i am young but i loooove pink floyd.....anyways Syd Barrett is the best. does anyone know where i can find some current information on him?

Didn't he threaten his manager with a shotgun when he tried to pay him?

Guest barrett fan

i have no idea about him at all except like everything with the band

From what I've read and heard, Syd has been suffering from diabetes for some time......

I really like Pink Floyd, and especially the Syd years but he is so crazy. Although that's why he was so great.

He was also extremely good- looking in his younger days.

Let's get a grip here. Syd's story has many positives. Not least being the care and attention shown him. David Gilmour - who replaced him in the band - in particular has made sure Syd is well looked after and despite the fact that he doesn't exactly hide around Cambridge he gets left alone more than you'd think.

One biographer got to meet him and the final chapter of Madcap suggests he lives a fairly stable life albeit never having recovered totally from his mental health problems.

I don't think the odds against him have come down that far, despite the diabetes.

Guest Pink Floyd

Back in the 60's Syd Barrett was Very Hot! I have him as my desktop picture! Even though i'm 14 years old, I THINK PINK FLOYD ROCKS & THEY ALWAYS WILL....live on pink floyd!

Guest Guest
Let's get a grip here. Syd's story has many positives. Not least being the care and attention shown him. David Gilmour - who replaced him in the band - in particular has made sure Syd is well looked after and despite the fact that he doesn't exactly hide around Cambridge he gets left alone more than you'd think.

One biographer got to meet him and the final chapter of Madcap suggests he lives a fairly stable life albeit never having recovered totally from his mental health problems.

I don't think the odds against him have come down that far, despite the diabetes.

good point

Guest jon

Remembering Syd now....

See Emily Play....etc...

and...The Madcap Laughs....

Just listen to Syd.........................thats all he ever wanted.........

Guest And She's Buying a Stairway

Syd Barret was so incredibly beautiful, charming, mysterious, talented.....

It's just so tragic that his life was ruined by drugs, and that such a great talent which could've thrived generations had come to a short end.

Shine On You Crazy Diamond

Guest toto

fairy stories held him high

he was young and able to buss all night long

he floated down the sound suround the icy waters underground

he traveled by telephone

he had a big adventure admist the grass

he tried but misunderstood

his head did no thinking his arms didn't move

in his shirt, he looked a jerk

his hair cut looked so bad

he didn't care if the sun didn't shine

his head kissed the grown he was half the way down

he send his cage to the post and made his name like a ghost

he was the kind of fellow that you got to see him if you can

he spent lazy there on a painting dream

now, he's resigned to his fate and he's got a bike

Ease off on the doggrel, poetic types. The fellas still alive, he just doesn't want to play in Pink Floyd and to be fair, who could blame him?

Guest lola

Yes, he is alive, but doesn't mean he's alright, or that his life story is any less tragic. Even though the outcome of his life was brought up mainly by his own decisions and deeds, it's saddening. Few can ever understand the agony of battling with such a mind-altering disorder for so many years, and basically losing most of your life to it. He never did return back to a normal state. After so many years of drug-abuse, who would? I understand what you say about him leaving Pink Floyd. I heard he doesn't even like to think about the times when he was in the group.

There's this myth that Syd was a massive victim of acid. Not true. Roger Keith Barratt is a schizophrenic. That is the root of his problems - although the acid probably greatly exacerbated his condition.

Guest VHLRJV

he who knows, don't know

he who knows that he doesn't know, knows

he who knows, don't know

he who knows that he doesn't know, knows

No, no.

No-no, no-no.

no-no, no-no,

no-no there's no limits

• Like 1

Guest Charlie
There's this myth that Syd was a massive victim of acid. Not true. Roger Keith Barratt is a schizophrenic. That is the root of his problems - although the acid probably greatly exacerbated his condition.

Drugs can cause mental diseases like shizophrenia, but only in combination with some kind of pre-disposition. Drugs can "wake up" these pre-dispositions.