Gooseberry Crumble

Famous celebrity births , pregnancies and babies

1 hour ago, The Old Crem said:

Here is a more sensible baby name. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CoGCb0TIGpM/

Wales and Fulham Footballer Harry Wilson and his partner Abby Claybrook have welcome a son named Oscar. 

Boring though.  Oscar has been a Top 10 name for the last ten years.  It will date him.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Toast said:

Boring though.  Oscar has been a Top 10 name for the last ten years.  It will date him.

I'll take that every time over Bambi. Especially as a male :P 

Not many names don't date. That's fashion for you.

Remember these kids with stupid names have parents with money and so already have life of privilege (if their parents have been smart with money). So don't need to deal with the usual struggles.

Unusual celeb baby names over the years:

Various Kardashian's/Jenner's:  North, Psalm, Chicago, Saint, Aire, Stormi, Reign, Dream, True

Gwyneth Paltrow: Apple, Moses

Elon Musk: X AE A-XII, Exa Dark Sideræl, Saxon, Nevada, Griffin, Xavier (now a trans woman and filed reques to change name to Vivian)

Nick Cannon: Powerful Queen, Zen, Monroe, Moroccan, Legendary Love, Golden, Onyx Ice, Zillon, Zion, Rise Messiah, Beautiful Zeppelin

30 minutes ago, ladyfiona said:

Remember these kids with stupid names have parents with money and so already have life of privilege (if their parents have been smart with money). So don't need to deal with the usual struggles.

Various Kardashian's/Jenner's:  North, Psalm, Chicago, Saint, Aire, Stormi, Reign, Dream, True

Elon Musk: X AE A-XII, Exa Dark Sideræl, Saxon, Nevada, Griffin, Xavier (now a trans woman and filed reques to change name to Vivian)

Nick Cannon: Powerful Queen, Zen, Monroe, Moroccan, Legendary Love, Golden, Onyx Ice, Zillon, Zion, Rise Messiah, Beautiful Zeppelin

Penn Jillette called his children Zoltan & Moxie Crimefighter 

Duncan Jones (now aged 51) was known as a child by the name Zowie Bowie, and don't forget Frank Zappa's kids Moon Unit & Dweezil; more recently (30 years ago) we had Pixie & Peaches Geldof, courtesy of Saint Bob & Paula. There must be more that I don't immediately recall.

2 hours ago, En Passant said:

Not many names don't date. That's fashion for you.

True, but ideally one should pick a name that's not fashionable without being unfashionable, if you get what I mean.  A lot of names can be dated to a period of 10 - 20 years.

The secret is to find a name that's never been in or out.  Without being cre8tiv.

2 minutes ago, Toast said:

True, but ideally one should pick a name that's not fashionable without being unfashionable, if you get what I mean.  A lot of names can be dated to a period of 10 - 20 years.

The secret is to find a name that's never been in or out.  Without being cre8tiv.

There aren't many Barry, Gary, Nigel, Jeremy, Karen or Wendy these days

24 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Farage has probably killed Nigel for good; Karen now being an adjective will also have done away with that name.

• Like 1

I work in NHS where I sign in hundreds of patients a week for their appointments.

Not met any person called Sheila under the age of 50. So it's a generational type name.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ladyfiona said:

I work in NHS where I sign in hundreds of patients a week for their appointments.

Not met any person called Sheila under the age of 50. So it's a generational type name.

Was watching the BBC Football on Saturday and one of the correspondants at the ground was called Betty yet would have been only in her twenties

8 minutes ago, TQR said:

Farage has probably killed Nigel for good; Karen now being an adjective will also have done away with that name.

2000 odd Karens born in Scotland last twenty years compared to 8000 in the last twenty years of the 20th Century. Bet you're glad I looked that up. :D

Thanks to uni (and Doctor Who) I tend to associate the name with hot redheads before the meme, tbh. 

But in general, most "popular" names are decreased these days compared to then. 

2 hours ago, ladyfiona said:

Rapper Chief Keef (no, I don't know who he is either) named his son Sno FilmOn Dot Com Cozart to promote the record label he was releasing an album with at the time.

Canadian musician and actor Don Francks has a son called Rainbow Sun.

And one of my personal favourites, son of Isaac Foot and brother of Michael, Dingle Mackintosh Foot.

Sylvester Stallone named his late son Sage Moonblood Stallone, and Jermaine Jackson named his son Jermajesty Jackson.

Not a strange name as such, but the boxer George Foreman named all five of his sons George.

8 minutes ago, time said:

Not a strange name as such, but the boxer George Foreman named all five of his sons George.

And named a daughter Georgetta.

48 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Was watching the BBC Football on Saturday and one of the correspondants at the ground was called Betty yet would have been only in her twenties

Whenever I see on the BBC I always keep expecting an older women until I remember, (On various sports.)

• Like 1

The only young Betty I know on TV is Betty Cooper on Riverdale. However her character is based on Archie Comics set 50-60 years ago.

2 hours ago, Toast said:

Oh I know what you mean, royal ones usually aren't too bad, if a bit stuffy, your Edwards, Williams, Charles, Harry etc. though latterly Andrew might take a bit of a dip I suppose :evil2:

The prevalence of ridiculous names in here just goes to show what a bunch of self aggrandizing Essex or Cheshire nincompoops they are in the first place and is yet another reason (as if one were needed) that I don't frequent it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bibliogryphon said:

It is amazing to me that so few baby boys nowadays are named Paul, Anthony or Steven.  I never thought I'd see the day  as there was so many of them in my year in school. 

1 hour ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

It is amazing to me that so few baby boys nowadays are named Paul, Anthony or Steven.  I never thought I'd see the day  as there was so many of them in my year in school. 

I have a cousin called Gary (but he is 40+) and I know so many Steven or Stephen's of any age. My friend's younger brother is called Steven. I knew one Paul at college and I only know Tony's not Anthony's.

• Like 1

It's a mystery to me how people sneer at the idea of Barry or Gar(r)y, yet Harry has  been popular in recent years.

When I was a child Harry was an old man's name. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Toast said:

It's a mystery to me how people sneer at the idea of Barry or Gar(r)y, yet Harry has  been popular in recent years.

Maybe that was why. Barry/ie and Gar(r(y were not so common before WW2 so wouldn’t have been old man names in that era. Now they increasingly old man names (Particularly Barry) they not so common. My name is odd in that they were loads of old people with it but they all had the full version on their birth certificate (Which is a timeless name) but I don’t and that version is starting to date a bit. 

2 hours ago, ladyfiona said:

I have a cousin called Gary (but he is 40+) and I know so many Steven or Stephen's of any age. My friend's younger brother is called Steven. I knew one Paul at college and I only know Tony's not Anthony's.

I know a Tony who is early 30 but named after his dad - but his dad’s full name is Anthony but never ever called that. 

I know someone with three kids with unique names that sound similar to ordinary names but are not and one correctly spelt and pronounced name

6 hours ago, time said:

I know a brother and sister who are George and Georgina and they have a niece called Georgia as well.

1 hour ago, Toast said:

I know someone from school in same year as me who had younger brother called Barry. Her brother died early 20's and in his memory named one of her sons after her brother.

My fav aunt is called Margaret and while I know nobody under 40 with that name I feel like if I had a daughter i'd give her middle name something like Margaret or Margot. Not Maggie as all I can think about is The Simpsons.

• Like 1