Gooseberry Crumble

Famous celebrity births , pregnancies and babies

8 minutes ago, ladyfiona said:

I know someone from school in same year as me who had younger brother called Barry. Her brother died early 20's and in his memory named one of her sons after her brother.

My fav aunt is called Margaret and while I know nobody under 40 with that name I feel like if I had a daughter i'd give her middle name something like Margaret or Margot. Not Maggie as all I can think about is The Simpsons.

I know a Maggie. She's 21.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Toast said:

It's a mystery to me how people sneer at the idea of Barry or Gar(r)y, yet Harry has  been popular in recent years.

When I was a child Harry was an old man's name. 

Harry Potter probably has a lot to do with it. I knew several Harrys in school and university, as well two Rons, a Luna and a Neville all born between the late 1990's/early 2000's when Harry Potter became a huge success.

Since we are talking about interesting/unusual names let me share a few that I know of personally.

I knew a girl named Nevaeh in university and as I am sure you all can imagine, she took a good amount of crap for her name.

My brother has a good friend who's name is Ebenezer, named after Ebenezer Scrooge from A Christmas Carol.

There's also this fellow I once met who's full name is, just hold on a minute. Michael Edward George Elizabeth Florence Kenneth Katherine Alexander Robertson-Wilson. The apparent reasoning behind this is that Michael's parents wanted to honor his grandparents/great grandparents since they had only planned on having one child, so they just put all the names together.

30 minutes ago, TheSpinosaurus said:

so they just put all the names together

There is never a shortage of fuckwits.

11 hours ago, ladyfiona said:

My fav aunt is called Margaret and while I know nobody under 40 with that name I feel like if I had a daughter i'd give her middle name something like Margaret or Margot. Not Maggie as all I can think about is The Simpsons.

Margaret is a splendid name as it has so many versions, diminutives and nicknames. Margo, Maggie, Meg, Peggy, Margi, Madge, etc, even Daisy or Pearl.

5 hours ago, TheSpinosaurus said:

Harry Potter probably has a lot to do with it. I knew several Harrys in school and university, as well two Rons, a Luna and a Neville all born between the late 1990's/early 2000's when Harry Potter became a huge success.

Certainly that has kept it in fashion, but it re-emerged before that.

4 hours ago, En Passant said:

There is never a shortage of fuckwits.

No discussion of naming fuckwittery is complete without the Reverend Ralph Tollemache  :D

Tollemache is best known for the unusual names that he gave to his many children. He had at least five children from his first marriage:

Sir Lyonel Felix Carteret Eugene Tollemache, 4th Baronet, of Hanley Hall (15 January 1854 – 4 March 1952), inherited the Tollemache baronetcy in 1935

Florence Caroline Artemesia (19 February 1855 – 24 May 1935)

Evelyne Clementina Wentworth Cornelia Maude (7 June 1856 – 1919)

Granville Grey Marchmont Manners Plantagenet (8 June 1858 – 20 April 1891)

Marchmont Murray Reginald Grasett Stanhope Plantagenet (24 December 1860 – 10 April 1898)

His imagination took flight when he named the many children from his second marriage:

Dora Viola Gertrude Irenez de Orellana Dysart Plantagenet (11 November 1869 – 4 July 1874)

Mabel Helmingham Ethel Huntingtower Beatrice Blazonberrie Evangeline Vise de Lou de Orellana Plantagenet Toedmag Saxon (11 March 1872 – 5 January 1955)

Lyonesse Matilda Dora Ida Agnes Ernestine Curson Paulet Wilbraham Joyce Eugénie Bentley Saxonia Dysart Plantagenet (9 November 1874 – 26 August 1944)

Lyulph Ydwallo Odin Nestor Egbert Lyonel (LYONEL) Toedmag Hugh Erchenwyne (THE) Saxon Esa Cromwell Orma Nevill Dysart (SECOND) Plantagenet (21 August 1876 – 1961)

Lyona Decima Veroica Esyth Undine Cyssa Hylda Rowena Adela Thyra Ursuala Ysabel Blanche Lelias Dysart Plantagenet (19 April 1878 – 17 November 1962) (Decima for being the 10th child)

Leo Quintus Tollemache-Tollemache de Orellana Plantagenet (19 November 1879 – 1 November 1914) (Quintus for being the 5th son)

Lyonella Fredegunda Cuthberga Ethelswytha Ideth Ysabel Grace Monica de Orellana Plantagenet (14 January 1882 – 3 October 1952)

Leone Sextus Denys Oswolf Fraudatifilius Tollemache-Tollemache de Orellana Plantagenet (10 June 1884 – 20 February 1917) (Sextus for being the 6th son)

Lyonetta Edith Regina Valentine Myra Polwarth Avelina Phillipa Violantha de Orellana Plantagenet (14 February 1887 – 7 January 1951)

Lyonulph Cospatrick Bruce Berkeley Jermyn Tullibardine Petersham de Orellana Dysart Plantagenet (11 January 1892 – 30 November 1966)

1 hour ago, Toast said:

Margaret is a splendid name as it has so many versions, diminutives and nicknames. Margo, Maggie, Meg, Peggy, Margi, Madge, etc, even Daisy or Pearl.

Certainly that has kept it in fashion, but it re-emerged before that.

No discussion of naming fuckwittery is complete without the Reverend Ralph Tollemache  :D

Or Jacob Rees Smug, whose offspring include Sixtus Dominic Boniface Christopher and Anselm Charles Fitzwilliam.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, time said:

Or Jacob Rees Smug, whose offspring include Sixtus Dominic Boniface Christopher and Anselm Charles Fitzwilliam.

He is nowhere near as good value as the Rev. Ralph.

I quite like Anselm.

Sticking on track. Kit Harington and Rose Leslie expecting their second child.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ladyfiona said:

Sticking on track. Kit Harington and Rose Leslie expecting their second child.

You know nothing Jon Snow, oh wait a minute.....

Pewdiepie and Marzia are having a baby and it's trending on Twitter. I knew I should have added them to the pregnancy pool.

• Like 2

On 02/02/2023 at 00:37, ladyfiona said:

I know someone from school in same year as me who had younger brother called Barry. Her brother died early 20's and in his memory named one of her sons after her brother.

Was he killed in a car accident? If so I might know the same one.

35 minutes ago, Handrejka said:

Was he killed in a car accident? If so I might know the same one.

I don't know specifics but lived in Berkshire. DM me if you want to know more as I don't want to get too personal in public.

On 09/02/2023 at 00:17, ladyfiona said:

I don't know specifics but lived in Berkshire. DM me if you want to know more as I don't want to get too personal in public.

Thanks. Different one in that case, this was in North West.