Miracle Aligner

Football Manager Sacking Bingo 2

Thought I'd give another update as the sack race continued apace this month as the season wears on. As before, new hits are listed in green.

Hits mentioned here (10): Eddie Howe (Bournemouth - mutual consent), Russ Wilcox (Southend - new manager confirmed), Hayden Mullins (Watford - new manager confirmed), Mark Molesley (Weymouth - moved to new club), Sabri Lamouchi (Nottingham Forest - sacked), Garry Monk (Sheffield Wednesday - sacked), Philip Cocu (Derby - sacked), Slaven Bilic (West Ham - sacked), Frank Lampard (Chelsea - sacked), Bradley Quinton (Welling - sacked)

Also hits (8): Gerhard Struber (Barnsley - moved to new club), Mark Bowen (Reading - resigned), Mark Kennedy (Macclesfield - resigned), Richie Wellens (Swindon - moved to new club), Stuart McCall (Bradford - sacked), Joey Barton (Fleetwood - sacked), John Askey (Port Vale - sacked), Neil Harris (Cardiff - sacked)

Misses (10): Paul Cook (Wigan - resigned), Graham Coughlan (Mansfield - sacked), Michael Jackson (Tranmere - new manager confirmed), John Sheridan (Wigan - moved to new club [technically ineligible for this game though]), Ben Garner (Bristol Rovers - sacked), Sam Ricketts (Shrewsbury - sacked), Phil Parkinson (Sunderland - sacked), David Dunn (Barrow - sacked), Vladimir Ivic (Watford - sacked [ineligible]), Ian Holloway (Grimsby - sacked), Tony Pulis (Sheffield Wednesday - sacked [ineligible]), Jake Buxton (Burton Albion - sacked), Glyn Hodges (AFC Wimbledon - sacked), Jason Tindall (Bournemouth - sacked [ineligible])

Current leaderboard:

@RoverAndOut - 10 (Howe, Monk, Mullins, Cocu, Lamouchi, Wilcox, Kennedy, McCall, Bilic, Barton)

@BuffaloPhil - 7 (Cocu, Struber, Lamouchi, Bowen, Wellens, Bilic, Barton)

@Great Uncle Bulgaria - 6 (Howe, Mullins, Cocu, Molesley, Askey, Quinton)

@msc - 4 (Howe, Struber, Lamouchi, Lampard)

@Miracle Aligner - 4 (Howe, Monk, Harris, Lampard)

Only gains for the chasing pack, with hits for GUB, msc and our departed host. Oddly, nobody has picked Mourinho, so that'll be a miss as and when it inevitably happens. Still think it's going to run long, though, with 4 of the 5 teams needing Dean Smith, the saviour of Villa Park, to lose his job. Three Championship teams have been misses for us, due to their managers being ineligible as they'd already sacked one this season after the game began - which someone here did hit with! :facepalm:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RoverAndOut said:

Thought I'd give another update as the sack race continued apace this month as the season wears on. As before, new hits are listed in green.

Hits mentioned here (10): Eddie Howe (Bournemouth - mutual consent), Russ Wilcox (Southend - new manager confirmed), Hayden Mullins (Watford - new manager confirmed), Mark Molesley (Weymouth - moved to new club), Sabri Lamouchi (Nottingham Forest - sacked), Garry Monk (Sheffield Wednesday - sacked), Philip Cocu (Derby - sacked), Slaven Bilic (West Ham - sacked), Frank Lampard (Chelsea - sacked), Bradley Quinton (Welling - sacked)

Also hits (8): Gerhard Struber (Barnsley - moved to new club), Mark Bowen (Reading - resigned), Mark Kennedy (Macclesfield - resigned), Richie Wellens (Swindon - moved to new club), Stuart McCall (Bradford - sacked), Joey Barton (Fleetwood - sacked), John Askey (Port Vale - sacked), Neil Harris (Cardiff - sacked)

Misses (10): Paul Cook (Wigan - resigned), Graham Coughlan (Mansfield - sacked), Michael Jackson (Tranmere - new manager confirmed), John Sheridan (Wigan - moved to new club [technically ineligible for this game though]), Ben Garner (Bristol Rovers - sacked), Sam Ricketts (Shrewsbury - sacked), Phil Parkinson (Sunderland - sacked), David Dunn (Barrow - sacked), Vladimir Ivic (Watford - sacked [ineligible]), Ian Holloway (Grimsby - sacked), Tony Pulis (Sheffield Wednesday - sacked [ineligible]), Jake Buxton (Burton Albion - sacked), Glyn Hodges (AFC Wimbledon - sacked), Jason Tindall (Bournemouth - sacked [ineligible])

Current leaderboard:

@RoverAndOut - 10 (Howe, Monk, Mullins, Cocu, Lamouchi, Wilcox, Kennedy, McCall, Bilic, Barton)

@BuffaloPhil - 7 (Cocu, Struber, Lamouchi, Bowen, Wellens, Bilic, Barton)

@Great Uncle Bulgaria - 6 (Howe, Mullins, Cocu, Molesley, Askey, Quinton)

@msc - 4 (Howe, Struber, Lamouchi, Lampard)

@Miracle Aligner - 4 (Howe, Monk, Harris, Lampard)

Only gains for the chasing pack, with hits for GUB, msc and our departed host. Oddly, nobody has picked Mourinho, so that'll be a miss as and when it inevitably happens. Still think it's going to run long, though, with 4 of the 5 teams needing Dean Smith, the saviour of Villa Park, to lose his job. Three Championship teams have been misses for us, due to their managers being ineligible as they'd already sacked one this season after the game began - which someone here did hit with! :facepalm:

As a Spurs fan, I think I can speak for the fickle majority who, having been screaming for Jose's head yesterday, are now convinced after a home win against West Brom that everything is in fact rosy again, and we will now go on a run that will see us completing the quadruple this season.

:cover_ears:

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, BuffaloPhil said:

As a Spurs fan, I think I can speak for the fickle majority who, having been screaming for Jose's head yesterday, are now convinced after a home win against West Brom that everything is in fact rosy again, and we will now go on a run that will see us completing the quadruple this season.

:cover_ears:

Yep, things will be absolutely rosy now. All you need to do is keep Harry Kane fit. Forever. :lol:

• Haha 1

Darrell Clarke a hit for me, leaving Walsall to go to Port Vale, scene of my last hit, confirmation from wiki below.

At the time of his departure in December 2018, he was the fourth-longest serving manager in the EFL. He was appointed manager at Walsall in May 2019 and left the club in February 2021 to manage League Two rivals Port Vale.

• Like 1

Chris Wilder sacked by Sheffield United. I think this is ungrateful and I think he would have been ideally placed to challenge for promotion in the Championship. No-one will save them from relegation now

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Chris Wilder sacked by Sheffield United. I think this is ungrateful and I think he would have been ideally placed to challenge for promotion in the Championship. No-one will save them from relegation now

Sounds like a few issues between him and the owner behind the scenes which perhaps contributed to this more than the actual results.

• Like 1

On 12/03/2021 at 17:53, BuffaloPhil said:

Sounds like a few issues between him and the owner behind the scenes which perhaps contributed to this more than the actual results.

Prince Abdullah is rightly pissed off that Chris Wilder paid a crazy £24 million for Rhian Brewster. He has been 5th choice behind McGoldrick, McBurnie, Sharp and Mousset.

Wilder, even after a terrible season, has been setting conditions for staying on next season in the Championship. The major sticking point is that he should be in charge of transfers. The Prince, naturally, does not want to see any more of his money wasted.

Wilder's departure should be confirmed this evening. The biggest surprise is that he was not sacked in January.

1 hour ago, Kenny said:

Prince Abdullah is rightly pissed off that Chris Wilder paid a crazy £24 million for Rhian Brewster. He has been 5th choice behind McGoldrick, McBurnie, Sharp and Mousset.

Wilder, even after a terrible season, has been setting conditions for staying on next season in the Championship. The major sticking point is that he should be in charge of transfers. The Prince, naturally, does not want to see any more of his money wasted.

Wilder's departure should be confirmed this evening. The biggest surprise is that he was not sacked in January.

The longer a team keeps their manager the more successful they seem to become over time even during bad spells.

Ferguson and Wenger prove this . Both sides have declined since retirement/changing manager.

Klopp and dyche both doing or have done great jobs over last few years. I'm sure klopp will recover.

Sheff utd Should have kept wilder. Didn't Burnley keep dyche after relegation and he got them back up and now he's turned them into a midtableish side. Stoke city got rid of Tony pulis and were never the same since. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, the_engineer said:

The longer a team keeps their manager the more successful they seem to become over time even during bad spells.

Ferguson and Wenger prove this . Both sides have declined since retirement/changing manager.

Klopp and dyche both doing or have done great jobs over last few years. I'm sure klopp will recover.

Sheff utd Should have kept wilder. Didn't Burnley keep dyche after relegation and he got them back up and now he's turned them into a midtableish side. Stoke city got rid of Tony pulis and were never the same since. 

It's not that straightforward. By that argument Man Utd should have kept Ron Atkinson, then they'd never have got Ferguson!

11 hours ago, BuffaloPhil said:

It's not that straightforward. By that argument Man Utd should have kept Ron Atkinson, then they'd never have got Ferguson!

Yea I fully understand it's not always absolute, but many of the times teams who swap and change their manager long term it just doesn't work out. Watford is a good recent example.

14 hours ago, the_engineer said:

Wilder spent over £50 million on Brewster, McBurnie (£20m) and Mousset (£10m) who have not delivered a mediocre return in terms of goals. Olly Burke is even worse. Any Scotland fan dreads seeing the names McBurnie and Burke (failed miserably  at Celtic) on the team sheet. They are not even Championship quality.

Wilder is a lower league manager who depended upon Henderson's heroics last season. Ramsdale was a key factor in Bournemouth's relegation but Wilder paid £18 million for him. The Blades' current league position truly reflects the quality of Wilder's squad of expensive duds and Championship journeymen.

41 minutes ago, Kenny said:

Wilder spent over £50 million on Brewster, McBurnie (£20m) and Mousset (£10m) who have not delivered a mediocre return in terms of goals. Olly Burke is even worse. Any Scotland fan dreads seeing the names McBurnie and Burke (failed miserably  at Celtic) on the team sheet. They are not even Championship quality.

Wilder is a lower league manager who depended upon Henderson's heroics last season. Ramsdale was a key factor in Bournemouth's relegation but Wilder paid £18 million for him. The Blades' current league position truly reflects the quality of Wilder's squad of expensive duds and Championship journeymen.

I agree with most of that, but disagree that Ramsdale was a key factor in Bournemouth's relegation - in fact he was one of their better players. Whether that makes the purchase a good one or not, I'm not sure, but it's definitely not in the same category as the likes of Brewster and McBurnie.

21 hours ago, BuffaloPhil said:

I agree with most of that, but disagree that Ramsdale was a key factor in Bournemouth's relegation - in fact he was one of their better players. Whether that makes the purchase a good one or not, I'm not sure, but it's definitely not in the same category as the likes of Brewster and McBurnie.

Let's not forget Aston villa should've been relegated last season . Hawk eye failed to detect sheff utd goal. So Bournemouth should still be in the prem.

• Like 1

Been doing some housekeeping on a few threads and since it's been a month since I updated this (and a busy month at that) and to end the discussion on the fairness of Chris Wilder's sacking, here's the latest update (as always new hits in green):

Hits mentioned here (12): Eddie Howe (Bournemouth - mutual consent), Russ Wilcox (Southend - new manager confirmed), Hayden Mullins (Watford - new manager confirmed), Mark Molesley (Weymouth - moved to new club), Sabri Lamouchi (Nottingham Forest - sacked), Garry Monk (Sheffield Wednesday - sacked), Philip Cocu (Derby - sacked), Slaven Bilic (West Ham - sacked), Frank Lampard (Chelsea - sacked), Bradley Quinton (Welling - sacked), Darrell Clarke (Walsall - moved to new club), Chris Wilder (Sheffield United - sacked)

Also hits (10): Gerhard Struber (Barnsley - moved to new club), Mark Bowen (Reading - resigned), Mark Kennedy (Macclesfield - resigned), Richie Wellens (Swindon - moved to new club), Stuart McCall (Bradford - sacked), Joey Barton (Fleetwood - sacked), John Askey (Port Vale - sacked), Neil Harris (Cardiff - sacked), Paul Lambert (Ipswich - sacked), Lee Bowyer (Charlton - resigned)

Misses (20): Paul Cook (Wigan - resigned), Graham Coughlan (Mansfield - sacked), Michael Jackson (Tranmere - new manager confirmed), John Sheridan (Wigan - moved to new club [technically ineligible for this game though]), Ben Garner (Bristol Rovers - sacked), Sam Ricketts (Shrewsbury - sacked), Phil Parkinson (Sunderland - sacked), David Dunn (Barrow - sacked), Vladimir Ivic (Watford - sacked [ineligible]), Ian Holloway (Grimsby - sacked), Tony Pulis (Sheffield Wednesday - sacked [ineligible]), Jake Buxton (Burton Albion - sacked), Glyn Hodges (AFC Wimbledon - sacked), Jason Tindall (Bournemouth - sacked [ineligible]), Keith Curle (Northampton - sacked), Paul Tisdale (Bristol Rovers - sacked [ineligible]), Dean Holden (Bristol City - sacked), Michael Jolley (Barrow - sacked [ineligible]), Steve Ball (Colchester - sacked), Ross Embleton (Leyton Orient - sacked), Darren Moore (Doncaster - moved to new club), Harry Kewell (Oldham - sacked), Kenny Jackett (Portsmouth - sacked), Aitor Karanka (Birmingham - sacked)

Current leaderboard:

@RoverAndOut - 12 (Howe, Monk, Mullins, Cocu, Lamouchi, Wilcox, Kennedy, McCall, Bilic, Barton, Lambert, Bowyer)

@Great Uncle Bulgaria - 9 (Howe, Mullins, Cocu, Molesley, Askey, Quinton, Clarke, Lambert, Bowyer)

@BuffaloPhil - 8 (Cocu, Struber, Lamouchi, Bowen, Wellens, Bilic, Barton, Bowyer)

@msc - 6 (Howe, Struber, Lamouchi, Lampard, Lambert, Bowyer)

@Miracle Aligner - 5 (Howe, Monk, Harris, Lampard, Wilder)

I edged a little closer, but some of my remaining 8 seem a way off leaving, meanwhile Great Uncle Bulgaria has moved above Buffalo Phil with 3 hits to 1 this month - both now approaching double figures and the halfway point. Unlucky misses for msc, who had Aitor Karanka among his subs, and Great Uncle Bulgaria who included Kenny Jackett as his 3rd replacement. Oh, and msc was looking at the wrong part of Glasgow for the sacking so far this season. :D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

^ Ian Holloway was not sacked, he resigned from Grimsby Town - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55422585.

"Ian Holloway has quit as Grimsby Town manager amid talks of a potential takeover of the League Two club."

Did anyone have Alex Neil who has been sacked, harshly IMO, by Preston North End?

Buffalo Phil was the only one who had Alex Neil, nobody had Ian Holloway. I'll do an update in a couple of weeks.

• Like 1

So who's next for the chop? There must be plenty of desperate chairmen reaching for the trigger...

Given their terrible form in recent weeks, Derby County's Wayne Rooney must be vulnerable. Lampard to return?

Someone should have picked  Mourinho

Very peculiar that none of us did. Guess we all banked on the bounce before the collapse as usually happens. Plus the fact it would cost them 30m quid to sack him as reason enough to keep him. But then we weren't expecting the disintegration of football as we know it and the need for a convenient distraction. I've seen rumours he refused to support the Super League proposals so was sacked, which would make sense given the unusual timing. If so, he's gone up ever so slightly in my estimations as a man, no higher as a manager though.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

Guess we all banked on the bounce before the collapse as usually happens

Know I did.

to be fair, Poch left them in 14th, Jose improved on that last season (finishing 6th?). This year they have remained in contention for top 6. Kane and Son have had great seasons, injuries apart, but the rest of that team isnt good enough, particularly the defence. Would be surprised to see anyone else get that squad into the top 4. Cr*p football some of the time though. Odd timing 6 days before a Cup final.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RoverAndOut said:

Very peculiar that none of us did. Guess we all banked on the bounce before the collapse as usually happens. Plus the fact it would cost them 30m quid to sack him as reason enough to keep him. But then we weren't expecting the disintegration of football as we know it and the need for a convenient distraction. I've seen rumours he refused to support the Super League proposals so was sacked, which would make sense given the unusual timing. If so, he's gone up ever so slightly in my estimations as a man, no higher as a manager though.

That rumour's been well and truly debunked.

As a Spurs fan, I'm delighted to see the back of him, and hoping for Nagelsmann from Leipzig to replace him.

21 minutes ago, BuffaloPhil said:

That rumour's been well and truly debunked.

As a Spurs fan, I'm delighted to see the back of him, and hoping for Nagelsmann from Leipzig to replace him.

Yep, sounded too good to be true. Isn't Nagelsmann supposed to be Bayern's man to replace Hansi Flick? Chris Powell and Ryan Mason taking over 'til June apparently, with a new coach appointed for next season.

The latest big managerial dismissal seems a good time for an update, although it's been a relatively quiet month. Changes in green as usual.

Hits mentioned here (13): Eddie Howe (Bournemouth - mutual consent), Russ Wilcox (Southend - new manager confirmed), Hayden Mullins (Watford - new manager confirmed), Mark Molesley (Weymouth - moved to new club), Sabri Lamouchi (Nottingham Forest - sacked), Garry Monk (Sheffield Wednesday - sacked), Philip Cocu (Derby - sacked), Slaven Bilic (West Ham - sacked), Frank Lampard (Chelsea - sacked), Bradley Quinton (Welling - sacked), Darrell Clarke (Walsall - moved to new club), Chris Wilder (Sheffield United - sacked), Alex Neil (Preston - sacked)

Also hits (10): Gerhard Struber (Barnsley - moved to new club), Mark Bowen (Reading - resigned), Mark Kennedy (Macclesfield - resigned), Richie Wellens (Swindon - moved to new club), Stuart McCall (Bradford - sacked), Joey Barton (Fleetwood - sacked), John Askey (Port Vale - sacked), Neil Harris (Cardiff - sacked), Paul Lambert (Ipswich - sacked), Lee Bowyer (Charlton - resigned)

Misses (20): Paul Cook (Wigan - resigned), Graham Coughlan (Mansfield - sacked), Michael Jackson (Tranmere - new manager confirmed), John Sheridan (Wigan - moved to new club [technically ineligible for this game though]), Ben Garner (Bristol Rovers - sacked), Sam Ricketts (Shrewsbury - sacked), Phil Parkinson (Sunderland - sacked), David Dunn (Barrow - sacked), Vladimir Ivic (Watford - sacked [ineligible]), Ian Holloway (Grimsby - resigned), Tony Pulis (Sheffield Wednesday - sacked [ineligible]), Jake Buxton (Burton Albion - sacked), Glyn Hodges (AFC Wimbledon - sacked), Jason Tindall (Bournemouth - sacked [ineligible]), Keith Curle (Northampton - sacked), Paul Tisdale (Bristol Rovers - sacked [ineligible]), Dean Holden (Bristol City - sacked), Michael Jolley (Barrow - sacked [ineligible]), Steve Ball (Colchester - sacked), Ross Embleton (Leyton Orient - sacked), Darren Moore (Doncaster - moved to new club), Harry Kewell (Oldham - sacked), Kenny Jackett (Portsmouth - sacked), Aitor Karanka (Birmingham - sacked), Richie Wellens (Salford - mutual consent [ineligible]), Mark Molesley (Southend - sacked [ineligible]), Mark Cooper (Forest Green - sacked), John Sheridan (Swindon - sacked [ineligible]), Jose Mourinho (Tottenham - sacked)

Current leaderboard:

@RoverAndOut - 12 (Howe, Monk, Mullins, Cocu, Lamouchi, Wilcox, Kennedy, McCall, Bilic, Barton, Lambert, Bowyer)

@Great Uncle Bulgaria - 9 (Howe, Mullins, Cocu, Molesley, Askey, Quinton, Clarke, Lambert, Bowyer)

@BuffaloPhil - 9 (Cocu, Struber, Lamouchi, Bowen, Wellens, Bilic, Barton, Bowyer, Neil)

@msc - 6 (Howe, Struber, Lamouchi, Lampard, Lambert, Bowyer)

@Miracle Aligner - 5 (Howe, Monk, Harris, Lampard, Wilder)

Incredibly, just one scoring sacking this month, for BuffaloPhil and Alex Neil. Perhaps more damningly, 3 of the 6 sackings this month were ineligible as they've already sacked the manager in play at the start of the game this season, while 3 of those sacked were already picks for previous jobs they've left this season. Talk about a merry-go-round!

• Thanks 1

Roy Hodgson is a hit for MA/D and I.

(Note although he is shown as no 21 on my list on the masterlist Paul Cook at no 7 never made it to the start line so Hodgson was in fact my no 20).

Very underappreciated manager IMO, has done very well to keep a bang average Palace squad in midtable for the last several seasons. Watch them go down next year.

• Like 1