Miracle Aligner

Football Manager Sacking Bingo 2

11 hours ago, The Old Crem said:

Could be quite a while till it ends. 

Will be for my team. 3 of them (Blackburn, Rotherham and Maidstone) are chasing automatic promotion and all 3 are outperforming expectations as it stands, such that failure to go up would not bring the sack. Eastbourne and H & W have drifted from playoff places into mid table but both are still close enough to get back in the playoffs with a decent run.

RAO is surely the favourite. Neither will be sacked, but can see both Bielsa and Dyche walking at the end of the season, both have performed miracles with poor squads but have taken their clubs as far  as they can. Burnley will surely drop this year.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Great Uncle Bulgaria said:

Will be for my team. 3 of them (Blackburn, Rotherham and Maidstone) are chasing automatic promotion and all 3 are outperforming expectations as it stands, such that failure to go up would not bring the sack. Eastbourne and H & W have drifted from playoff places into mid table but both are still close enough to get back in the playoffs with a decent run.

RAP is surely the favourite. Neither will be sacked, but can see both Bielsa and Dyche walking at the end of the season, both have performed miracles with poor squads but have taken their clubs as far  as they can. Burnley will surely drop this year.

I think Bielsa might stay another season if Leeds stay up (He still seems popular among the fans and players) and Dyche most likely will  if Burnley manage somehow to get out of the drop. 

Sunderland AFC dispense with the services of Lee Johnson following a humiliating defeat

2 hours ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Sunderland AFC dispense with the services of Lee Johnson following a humiliating defeat

Seems to have split the Sunderland fan base as they were not expecting it. 

• Like 1

Does dying count?

Zamparini dead

So, some soul searching at Raith Rovers - how secure is John McGlynn if they need scapegoats to expend after the David Goodwillie fiasco?

1 minute ago, maryportfuncity said:

David Goodwillie

Given the circumstances, that's one for the list of "names that make you chuckle", isn't it. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Toast said:

Given the circumstances, that's one for the list of "names that make you chuckle", isn't it. 

Yeah got fined £50k and instructed to change his name to Badwillie.

• Haha 2

On 17/02/2022 at 18:46, BuffaloPhil said:

James McPake has been sacked by Dundee as they battle relegation from the SPL - this is a fifteenth hit for @msc, moving him level with @Great Uncle Bulgaria in second place, both just one hit behind the leader @RoverAndOut.

Surprised that, as he's on your list,  you have not mentioned Darren Ferguson's resignation - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/60457031

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Kenny said:

Surprised that, as he's on your list,  you have not mentioned Darren Ferguson's resignation - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/60457031

Thanks Kenny, I missed that one! That moves me into joint second :

@RoverAndOut              16/20

@Great Uncle Bulgaria  15/20

@msc                            15/20

@BuffaloPhil                 15/20

@Miracle Aligner           13/20

Oh aye, so...

Carlisle's response to 91st position is a major shake up with Keith Millen departing "by mutual consent" 22 games into his managerial stint, and a welcome add on as far as most of the Blue Army are concerned is the departure of Director of Football David Holdsworth, the club now having decided the post isn't vital to success. Obviously having directed us downwards with some momentum the discussion between him and the board might have involved close inspection of the floor at times.

Re-enter local hero, twice promotion winning manager at Brunton Park and the man who took England's youth to a World Cup: Paul "Simmo" Simpson - 90th place will do, owt else is a bonus

Link:https://www.newsandstar.co.uk/sport/football/carlisle-united/

• Like 2

On 26/01/2022 at 11:45, The Old Crem said:

I think Bielsa might stay another season if Leeds stay up (He still seems popular among the fans and players) and Dyche most likely will  if Burnley manage somehow to get out of the drop. 

Bielsa already gone.

• Like 1

Up to 17 now. Could get 18 if Leeds try to poach Bielsa understudy Corberan from Huddersfield but that might be wishful thinking in both directions.

Dyche may depend on whether Burnley stay up but I could also see him spending a year trying to get them back up. Could Leeds be interested in him?

Think Paul Warne is safe til at least next season as Rotherham look certain to go up. Not sure he'd fancy another go if they're relegated again though, I think this is their 5th or 6th season in a row changing division either up or down, and he's been in charge for most of them.

36 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

Up to 17 now. Could get 18 if Leeds try to poach Bielsa understudy Corberan from Huddersfield but that might be wishful thinking in both directions.

Dyche may depend on whether Burnley stay up but I could also see him spending a year trying to get them back up. Could Leeds be interested in him?

Think Paul Warne is safe til at least next season as Rotherham look certain to go up. Not sure he'd fancy another go if they're relegated again though, I think this is their 5th or 6th season in a row changing division either up or down, and he's been in charge for most of them.

The buzz was that Jesse Marsch was lined up as a replacement - he's currently unemployed and might be tempted by the premiership after the Bundesliga.

52 minutes ago, time said:

The buzz was that Jesse Marsch was lined up as a replacement - he's currently unemployed and might be tempted by the premiership after the Bundesliga.

Klopp, Tuchel, Hasenhuttl...what's another one to the collection?

25 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

Klopp, Tuchel, Hasenhuttl...what's another one to the collection?

Hasenhuttl is Austrian, not German.

Yep @RoverAndOut is perhaps surprisingly the only player to hit with BIelsa, putting him two clear with only three remaining - Corberan, Dyche and of course Warne, who we're all (bar @msc) waiting on and who doesn't seem likely to go anywhere in the foreseeable.

2 minutes ago, BuffaloPhil said:

Yep @RoverAndOut is perhaps surprisingly the only player to hit with BIelsa, putting him two clear with only three remaining - Corberan, Dyche and of course Warne, who we're all (bar @msc) waiting on and who doesn't seem likely to go anywhere in the foreseeable.

msc - 14 (remaining : Ralph Hasenhuttl, Pep Guardiola, Michael Duff,  Brian Reid, Ian McCall)

Hasenhuttl is a matter of when he gets poached to a bigger team. Guardiola I suspect step down sooner than later, he doesn't like long stays and this is his longest stay anywhere. Michael Duff seems popular at Cheltenham, that's an error pick. Albion Rovers are flopping down near the bottom of the basement in Scotland so Reid will go at some point in 2022. Ian McCall went from third bottom in League 1 to top half of the Championship since I picked him. As a Thistle man I am delighted with this unexpectedly successful jinx!

You're on 15, @msc.

I'm also on 15 with Mark Warburton, Pep Guardiola, Paul Warne, Michael Duff and David Artell remaining. Agree re Pep - I suspect he wants to win the Champions League with City, but wouldn't be surprised if he left as soon as he does, maybe this is their year? Duff - yep that was a bad one! Warburton is doing better than I expected at QPR but their managers don't tend to last so I think he may be out if they end up missing the playoffs. Warne, as discussed above is probably in place until at least mid-next-season. And Artell - my other unique pick - must be a good shout to go soon with Crewe rock bottom of League One.

I'm not sure Hasenhuttl will get poached any time soon - bigger clubs will not have forgotten that he's presided over not one but two 9-0 defeats for Southampton, even if he's doing a decent job overall.

12 minutes ago, BuffaloPhil said:

You're on 15, @msc.

I'm also on 15 with Mark Warburton, Pep Guardiola, Paul Warne, Michael Duff and David Artell remaining. Agree re Pep - I suspect he wants to win the Champions League with City, but wouldn't be surprised if he left as soon as he does, maybe this is their year? Duff - yep that was a bad one! Warburton is doing better than I expected at QPR but their managers don't tend to last so I think he may be out if they end up missing the playoffs. Warne, as discussed above is probably in place until at least mid-next-season. And Artell - my other unique pick - must be a good shout to go soon with Crewe rock bottom of League One.

I'm not sure Hasenhuttl will get poached any time soon - bigger clubs will not have forgotten that he's presided over not one but two 9-0 defeats for Southampton, even if he's doing a decent job overall.

The counter to that one, of course, is that Saints have had a pretty mediocre squad the last 5 years yet he's kept them well away from relegation (even the year they lost 9-0 to Leicester and looked League 1 level quality, they ended in 12th place or there abouts) and they've a stunning number of points and wins over the top teams too. He's been on a few shortlists in the last year or so, and Southampton have a ceiling. 

But mostly I suspect Duff is going to screw me over in this game!

Of my remaining 5, all of them are involved in promotion pushes and are not going to be sacked. Warne has done an amazing job IMO, about to get promoted from L1 ( a league which includes Sunderland, Sheffield Wednesday, Ipswich, Portsmouth, etc) for the 3rd time in 5 years with a club that probaly belongs by size at the wrong end of L1 or in L2.

Mowbray has probably exceeded expectations (including mine) at Blackburn although with Brereton Diaz injured in recent weeks it's looking more like the playoffs than automatic promotion.

Doswell, Bloor and Heyrettin are all doing reasonably well in NLS and wont be going anywhere before the end of the season. Doswell has turned down approaches from elsewhere and has a local business that is now doing well so unlikely he will be leaving the area. 

5 hours ago, Great Uncle Bulgaria said:

Hasenhuttl is Austrian, not German.

I was talking about Bundesliga managers coming to the Premier League, not nationality. Missed Rangnick too. The other 3 are all scholars of his methods. No idea about Marsch.

On my Rovers coach to Peterborough, we've just learned, with some glee, that Burnley have sacked Dyche. Clearly hoping a late change can get them the 3 or 4 wins they need to stay up. Suspect it may instead make it more difficult to get back up next season.

Anyway, I'm not complaining, hit #18 for me, Paul Warne and Carlos Corberan away from a full house. Looking like relegation panic next season is my best chance of them going. Or if Huddersfield don't go up, a poor start next season.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

On my Rovers coach to Peterborough, we've just learned, with some glee, that Burnley have sacked Dyche. Clearly hoping a late change can get them the 3 or 4 wins they need to stay up. Suspect it may instead make it more difficult to get back up next season.

Anyway, I'm not complaining, hit #18 for me, Paul Warne and Carlos Corberan away from a full house. Looking like relegation panic next season is my best chance of them going. Or if Huddersfield don't go up, a poor start next season.

Good, he’ll now have time to finally get hold of those industrial-strength throat lozenges, to the relief of eardrums everywhere. Unless Sky makes him a pundit just to inflict further misery. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2