Miracle Aligner

Football Manager Sacking Bingo 2

Yep the presumable sudden availability of Sam Allardyce means a hit for both @RoverAndOut and our erstwhile gamerunner @Miracle Aligner putting them on 18 and 14 hits respectively.

Last week Crewe parted company with David Artell, giving me a 16th hit.

Scoreboard

RoverAndOut 18

BuffaloPhil 16

@Great Uncle Bulgaria 15

@msc 15

Miracle Aligner 14

• Like 2

Interestingly, I see Rotherham have now lost three straight games which has taken them from what looked like a certain automatic promotion place to only a playoff position - and if they don't arrest the slide quickly they could even miss out on the playoffs. Could Paul Warne soon be under unexpected pressure - reminder he would be a hit for everyone except msc, and would leave RoverAndOut with just one remaining manager. 

34 minutes ago, BuffaloPhil said:

Interestingly, I see Rotherham have now lost three straight games which has taken them from what looked like a certain automatic promotion place to only a playoff position - and if they don't arrest the slide quickly they could even miss out on the playoffs. Could Paul Warne soon be under unexpected pressure - reminder he would be a hit for everyone except msc, and would leave RoverAndOut with just one remaining manager. 

The one remaining should be safe until next season though, unless he's poached but I'm not sure who that would be by.

To give hope to those of you waiting on Tony Mowbray, our hopes of a play off spot took another hit today at Peterborough. He's out of contract at the end of the season and there's been no discussion of an extension. Could be Venkys fancy a change, could be that Mowbray's had enough. Certainly a section of the fantasy thinks enough is enough. Just a heads up, don't be surprised if he leaves at the end of the season.

Yeah it's been a weird season in the Championship - everyone that looks like they're going to challenge for promotion immediately falls off a cliff! I've got Mark Warburton at QPR, hopefully their collapse from a promising position will prompt the club to give him the boot.

20 hours ago, BuffaloPhil said:

Not even 24 hours later, they beat Ipswich to go 2nd again. That's even better some of the famous DL post jinxes of the past (though @Death Impends Vigoda post is probably unbeatable).

• Haha 2

Paul Simpson's stint at Carlisle is only contracted to the end of the season. Parachuted in with us second-bottom and straight away turned us into a form team. Even last Friday's defeat to the only goal at Walsall was a decent run out (their keeper on inspired form being the main reason we didn't get a deserved point). Worth mentioning hereabouts because Simmo's persistent ducking of the long-term question makes it clear the underlying situation at the club isn't grabbing him. His return has proven he's recovered well enough from cancer to be employable (not summat he was sure of a few weeks back). His likely availability may prompt some lower league outfit thinking themselves way better than their league position to sack the present incumbent - just sayin'

• Like 1

Pretty much confirmed that Tony Mowbray is leaving Blackburn at the end of the season. No communication from the club regarding a new contract, so that's that. Been a superb servant in testing times and leaves the club in much better shape than when he arrived. Been a while since we had a vacancy and the next appointment is massive, especially given the owners' track record, but we'll wait and see.

Anyway, I'd be done now if I'd picked TM, but I couldn't bring myself to do it as I don't like to wish ill on my own team, despite the signs that his time was probably coming towards an end one way or the other. But the rest of you get a little closer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RoverAndOut said:

Pretty much confirmed that Tony Mowbray is leaving Blackburn at the end of the season. No communication from the club regarding a new contract, so that's that. Been a superb servant in testing times and leaves the club in much better shape than when he arrived. Been a while since we had a vacancy and the next appointment is massive, especially given the owners' track record, but we'll wait and see.

Anyway, I'd be done now if I'd picked TM, but I couldn't bring myself to do it as I don't like to wish ill on my own team, despite the signs that his time was probably coming towards an end one way or the other. But the rest of you get a little closer.

Only @Great Uncle Bulgaria picked Mowbray, so your lead is still 2 - GUB moves level with me in second place (or will do, once it's officially confirmed.)

Good win for my Cherries against your boys today though, I enjoyed it!

1 hour ago, BuffaloPhil said:

Only @Great Uncle Bulgaria picked Mowbray, so your lead is still 2 - GUB moves level with me in second place (or will do, once it's officially confirmed.)

Good win for my Cherries against your boys today though, I enjoyed it!

More than you enjoyed the 0-2 at your own place I'm sure! ;) Big game against Forest coming up.

11 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

More than you enjoyed the 0-2 at your own place I'm sure! ;) Big game against Forest coming up.

Back when you were good, you mean? 

Tuesday is massive, but we've got the advantage of only needing a draw (although then we'd need another draw in the last game) and being at home. Fingers crossed!

25 minutes ago, BuffaloPhil said:

Back when you were good, you mean? 

Tuesday is massive, but we've got the advantage of only needing a draw (although then we'd need another draw in the last game) and being at home. Fingers crossed!

Back before you spent your parachute money on buying promotion, yeah. Not that I'm bitter or anything. :lol:

Good luck on Tuesday, I honestly don't care who goes up now.

• Haha 1

Crawley have ousted John Yems over "racism and discriminatary conduct" re-hire chances likely dented. Doesn't matter which emerging African nations want a British manager, he's fucked in their eyes, eh?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61349180

2 hours ago, maryportfuncity said:

Crawley have ousted John Yems over "racism and discriminatary conduct" re-hire chances likely dented. Doesn't matter which emerging African nations want a British manager, he's fucked in their eyes, eh?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61349180

He will find work in the Middle East or somewhere like China.

I doubt that he is the first 'disgraced' football coach who has had to go further afield to earn a living.

1 hour ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

He will find work in the Middle East or somewhere like China.

I doubt that he is the first 'disgraced' football coach who has had to go further afield to earn a living.

Hang on, I'll get out the Ouija Board and ask Don Revie!

• Haha 2

That gives @Great Uncle Bulgaria a sixteenth hit, which would have taken him joint second... however Mark Warburton has also left QPR following the end of the season (although the QPR website still lists him as manager, it seems clear that he's gone) which gives me a seventeenth hit and takes me one behind @RoverAndOut. We now have discrete scoring throughout the game :

RoverAndOut 18

BuffaloPhil 17

Great Uncle Bulgaria 16

@msc 15

@Miracle Aligner 14

• Thanks 1

By my reckoning, since this game began at the start of the 2020-2021 season, there are only 22 of the 92 clubs in the Premier League and EFL who still have the same manager. For the benefit of msc, 12 of the 42 Scottish League clubs have the same manager and for Great Uncle Bulgaria, 10 of the National League sides have still got the same manager. I should say these are based on the memberships of these leagues at the start of the season in question, obviously some have dropped out/been promoted since.

Including Hayden Mullins (the end of whose caretaker stint was my first hit of the competition), Watford have just appointed their 6th manager during this round of gameplay.

17 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

By my reckoning, since this game began at the start of the 2020-2021 season, there are only 22 of the 92 clubs in the Premier League and EFL who still have the same manager. For the benefit of msc, 12 of the 42 Scottish League clubs have the same manager and for Great Uncle Bulgaria, 10 of the National League sides have still got the same manager. I should say these are based on the memberships of these leagues at the start of the season in question, obviously some have dropped out/been promoted since.

Including Hayden Mullins (the end of whose caretaker stint was my first hit of the competition), Watford have just appointed their 6th manager during this round of gameplay.

Exeter City, newly promoted to League 1 btw :clap:,have only had two managers since 2006. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, DevonDeathTrip said:

Exeter City, newly promoted to League 1 btw :clap:,have only had two managers since 2006. 

Very impressive. Didn't work out for Paul Tisdale once he left of course. Other notable mentions: Gareth Ainsworth's been at Wycombe for 100 days short of a decade now. Simon Weaver's been at Harrogate for just over a week short of 13 years (most of those in non-league, though) and John Coleman first joined Accrington in May 1999 (23 years ago), and has been there ever since (well, apart from an ill-advised move to Rochdale in 2012, which didn't work out, before returning in 2014 after just over 18 months away [during which time Accy had gone through 3 permanent managers!]). He's nearly 8 years into his second stint.

17 hours ago, RoverAndOut said:

Very impressive. Didn't work out for Paul Tisdale once he left of course. Other notable mentions: Gareth Ainsworth's been at Wycombe for 100 days short of a decade now. Simon Weaver's been at Harrogate for just over a week short of 13 years (most of those in non-league, though) and John Coleman first joined Accrington in May 1999 (23 years ago), and has been there ever since (well, apart from an ill-advised move to Rochdale in 2012, which didn't work out, before returning in 2014 after just over 18 months away [during which time Accy had gone through 3 permanent managers!]). He's nearly 8 years into his second stint.

When Coleman joined Accrington, they were in the Northern Premier League First Division - the third tier of non-league football. That season, Charlton won the Championship, before starting a seven season stint in the Premier League. This season, Accrington finished above Charlton. Coleman's done a great job, and probably wasn't MiracleAligner's best choice for this game!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BuffaloPhil said:

When Coleman joined Accrington, they were in the Northern Premier League First Division - the third tier of non-league football. That season, Charlton won the Championship, before starting a seven season stint in the Premier League. This season, Accrington finished above Charlton. Coleman's done a great job, and probably wasn't MiracleAligner's best choice for this game!

Absolute legend down the road. Biggest mistake he made was going to Rochdale. Of course he had to, it was, on paper, a better opportunity to test himself at a higher level, but Accy just keep improving. It's not beyond the realms of possibility for them to get in the play offs one of these years, and, who knows, if Wycombe can get up, then there's no reason Accrington couldn't have a season in the Championship. A well run club, with a committed manager operating under a strict budget, and a chairman who talks more sense than most. They like to see us as rivals, we're a lot closer in league status than we ever have been, but really, most people in Blackburn like to see Accrington doing well. It's the Dingles further down the road that we can't stand.

• Like 1

A couple of recent hits in this game :

Back in June, Michael Duff left Cheltenham to take over at Barnsley - he was @msc's 16th hit and my 18th, putting me one behind the leader.

However today Carlos Corberan has resigned from Huddersfield, which is a 19th hit for @RoverAndOut, meaning that Paul Warne is all that stands between him and victory.

Should Pep Guardiola leave Man City before Warne leaves Rotherham, however, I will tie with RoverAndOut, as we both have Warne (as does everyone except msc.) And since neither of those look like going anytime soon, it could still be a while before we have a winner or winners!

• Shocked 1

Between Boris and Wimbledon, Corberan's departure had completely passed me by.

I'll take Paul Warne as last man standing. A poor start for Rotherham and he could be sacked or walk. He's already had this adventure once before, he seemed unsure he'd stay on to get them promoted again 2 seasons ago, I can't see he'd do it again if it looked like history was repeating itself. Watch this space...