Bibliogryphon

Scavenger Hunt Bingo Deadpool III

So go on, own up - which of the 5 of you (or more since) have to re-jig your Nobel Prize Winners now? :lol:

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

So go on, own up - which of the 5 of you (or more since) have to re-jig your Nobel Prize Winners now? :lol:

Not me.

Mine are somewhere between popular and esoteric.....:D

• Like 2

From...

4. Any human deemed to have achieved spaceflight (according to this wiki list: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_astronauts_by_first_flight )

From my understanding the link provided doesn't necessarily constitute those who have achieved spaceflight, rather those who meet the FAI's guidelines for what defines an 'astronaut'.

If the intended list of people was for any person who achieved spaceflight I believe this would be a better link

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_space_travelers_by_name

Also as a non-Euro/Brit, does 

2. Any player who was part of a FIFA Men's World Cup Finals squad (don't have to have played in the tournament) 

entail having participated in the tournament or only the final?

6 hours ago, Banana said:

From...

4. Any human deemed to have achieved spaceflight (according to this wiki list: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_astronauts_by_first_flight )

From my understanding the link provided doesn't necessarily constitute those who have achieved spaceflight, rather those who meet the FAI's guidelines for what defines an 'astronaut'.

If the intended list of people was for any person who achieved spaceflight I believe this would be a better link

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_space_travelers_by_name

The quoted list is the one we are using. To avoid not picking.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Banana said:

2. Any player who was part of a FIFA Men's World Cup Finals squad (don't have to have played in the tournament) 

It means any member of a national squad who travelled to the tournament. They do not have to have played in a match.

It is the WORLD Cup :D

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Banana said:

Don't you know what "squad" means?

It works like this.  The team manager selects a number of players (in recent years this has been 23 players).  This is the squad.

For each match, a team is chosen by selecting players from the squad.  Players may be substituted by others from the squad.

This system allows players to be rested or to recover from injury, and tactics to be varied.

Players in the squad may not necessarily be selected to play in a match.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Banana said:

World Cup Finals is the general term for the final stage of the tournament played between the qualifiers (i.e. the who have won through the qualifying tournamant). In recent years this has been 32 teams; any of the players from the squad (see Toast's post, above) of those 32 teams can be said to have been "a part of a FIFA Men's World Cup Finals Squad".

The 'final' is, as the name suggests just one match, played between the last two teams from all those who qualified for ' the finals'.

Honestly, its not at all confusing (for confusing we need to talk about cricket).

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

ADMINS: Can we please add ‘III’ or 3 or 2020 whatever.  I thought this was the thread for the first Scavenger DP and didn’t open it until today, twa weeks later.

SC

5 hours ago, Toast said:

Don't you know what "squad" means?

It works like this.  The team manager selects a number of players (in recent years this has been 23 players).  This is the squad.

For each match, a team is chosen by selecting players from the squad.  Players may be substituted by others from the squad.

This system allows players to be rested or to recover from injury, and tactics to be varied.

Players in the squad may not necessarily be selected to play in a match.

The term squad wasn’t the issue, but I appreciate your condescension.  

3 hours ago, time said:

The 'final' is, as the name suggests just one match, played between the last two teams from all those who qualified for ' the finals'.

Honestly, its not at all confusing (for confusing we need to talk about cricket).

it’s confusing for a North American where our sports leagues consider the final match up the final and the preceding tournament the playoffs. All I asked for was clarification, not a history lesson, but thanks again guys. 

26 minutes ago, Banana said:

The term squad wasn’t the issue, but I appreciate your condescension. 

it’s confusing for a North American where our sports leagues consider the final match up the final and the preceding tournament the playoffs. All I asked for was clarification, not a history lesson, but thanks again guys. 

You're welcome.  :biggrin:

1 hour ago, Sir Creep said:

ADMINS: Can we please add ‘III’ or 3 or 2020 whatever.  I thought this was the thread for the first Scavenger DP and didn’t open it until today, twa weeks later.

SC

I did ask as it doesn't let me edit the title once I have made it

9 hours ago, time said:

You're in the clear there, time, @Bibliogryphon picked cricket in the first round! :lol:

And to keep it in the collective consciousness: can an admin change the title to include 'III'. Thank you.

• Like 1

Although I picked the categories, Biblio is very much in charge of this, so I have a rules-based question following more Eurovision research than I care to admit to.

You say obits are quite loose, akin to Deathrace but Deathrace requires English language so is that the criteria here?

If so, I assume this posted recently by Spade in the Curse of Eurovision thread would count but this posted by Whitehouse in the same thread would not (as it's in Dutch)? Just so I know... :rolleyes: 

(Without looking, thinking about it, would most not at least get an English mention on one of the Eurovision sites which would count? Just thinking out loud...)

22 hours ago, RoverAndOut said:

Although I picked the categories, Biblio is very much in charge of this, so I have a rules-based question following more Eurovision research than I care to admit to.

You say obits are quite loose, akin to Deathrace but Deathrace requires English language so is that the criteria here?

If so, I assume this posted recently by Spade in the Curse of Eurovision thread would count but this posted by Whitehouse in the same thread would not (as it's in Dutch)? Just so I know... :rolleyes: 

(Without looking, thinking about it, would most not at least get an English mention on one of the Eurovision sites which would count? Just thinking out loud...)

As a lot of these are marginal in the fame arena I will accept a national newspaper obit from their home country or a proclamation from the official website Nobel, FIFA or Eurovision

• Like 3

5. Any on-stage performer for a country in a Eurovision Grand Final.

The Eurovision Grand Final was introduced in 2004. I'm confused as to what this rule is supposed to mean and am looking for clarification...

1. Only on-stage performers of the Grand Final post-2004
  2. Only on-stage performers of the Grand Final post-2004 and all on-stage performers before pre-2004
  3. All on-stage performers at the Eurovision Song Contest

14 hours ago, Banana said:

5. Any on-stage performer for a country in a Eurovision Grand Final.

The Eurovision Grand Final was introduced in 2004. I'm confused as to what this rule is supposed to mean and am looking for clarification...

1. Only on-stage performers of the Grand Final post-2004
  2. Only on-stage performers of the Grand Final post-2004 and all on-stage performers before pre-2004
  3. All on-stage performers at the Eurovision Song Contest

Pre 2004 the Contest was just a one off event so the contest was the equivalent of the Grand Final. What this does is eliminate those entries post 2004 who did not qualify.

Which, for those planning on gaming the system, disqualifies the 102-year-old Emil Ramsauer as Switzerland didn't make it to the grand final in 2013.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I come to whet your somewhat blunted purpose

Two week Klaxon

How is the research going?

Only five entries in so far

• Like 1

I'm still working sporadically on my teams.   A little late night research a few hours ago, in fact.

• Like 1

Oh yeah I should probably look up the teams soon...

• Like 2

I'm obviously taking on my own challenge. Teams are coming together, research mostly done, but it'll be the usual case of throwing it all up in the air and seeing how it lands. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

As BHM is my birthday I will still be accepting entries but I won't be pouring over verification detail so effectively this is a one week Klaxon to all those players engrossed in their research hoping to lift the trophy sometime in 2022.

• Thanks 1