Robbie Coltrane and Yaphet Kotto for the win :D

Not completely unrealistic

59 minutes ago, Grim Up North said:

Robbie Coltrane and Yaphet Kotto for the win :D

Or Robbie Coltrane and Jeremy Bulloch ......  :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Oof! That's a miss! How did he not end up on my final five?! :banghead:

Those are gettable final twos for Toast and Spade, but as we've seen before that's no guarantee of success. Still two hits away by anyone!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

Those are gettable final twos for Toast and Spade, but as we've seen before that's no guarantee of success.

No indeed, in fact it probably guarantees my two picks many more years of life  :rolleyes:

• Haha 2

34.   Geoffrey Palmer                                              sp, gn, to, af

As the slaughter of James Bond actors goes on Geoffrey Palmer was the Fourth hit for three players and the third hit for @An Fear BeagBeag but all in different categories

Scoreboards updated

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bibliogryphon said:

34.   Geoffrey Palmer                                              sp, gn, to, af

As the slaughter of James Bond actors goes on Geoffrey Palmer was the Fourth hit for three players and the third hit for @An Fear BeagBeag but all in different categories

Scoreboards updated

I intend to be as efficient as possible in winning this game. 5 categories 5 hits - that's all it should take, so that's all that you're getting!

• Like 1

I'm still in a select group sitting at the back of the pack ready to sprint for the finish once we reach the final straight (to keep the metaphor going, I'm more likely to do a Derek Redmond).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, An Fear Beag said:

I intend to be as efficient as possible in winning this game. 5 categories 5 hits - that's all it should take, so that's all that you're getting!

Some decent contenders on your Eurovision list. Olivia is known to be unwell, Nora Nova is ancient and Simone de Olivieira has survived cancer twice! That could get you to 4, I think the astronauts is the wildcard category here.

36 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

Some decent contenders on your Eurovision list. Olivia is known to be unwell, Nora Nova is ancient and Simone de Olivieira has survived cancer twice! That could get you to 4, I think the astronauts is the wildcard category here.

I don't want any of them to hit - they all bring someone else onto  hits in 4 categories. Roy Taylor has MND, Franco Battiato retired due to ill health. Either of those would be better. 

Its also a bit pointless having this discussion a few months after this game has started. No matter how many hits happen in the first few months, we will all still be looking for a spaceman to hit in about 2 years time. 

• Haha 1

Oh wow, Astronaut for the win for me.

Edit: On a quick glance, it seems that my unique Astronaut pick Marcos Pontes has mostly defeated his COVID infection.

2nd edit: No wait, he didn't have COVID. Google translate fooled me, he merely participated in a COVID-related symposium. But I did pick him because he's from Brazil and there is a lot of COVID.

If I'm right.... Frank Borman, Anatoly Filipchenko, Ken Mattingly, James McDivitt or Tom Stafford win it for Banana. James McDivitt, Leonid Popov, Vladimir Shatalov or Aleksei Yeliseyev take it for gcreptile.

• Shocked 2

Not fancying this lasting the year now. :blink: Can't decide if the categories were awful or if the Grim Reaper's just going beserk this year. Most of those astronauts could go anytime - Anatoly Filipchenko would be a tie and I can't remember the rules (Biblio will doubtless enlighten us).

Worth noting that in the past 24 hours, we've also missed Albert Quixall (England World Cup Team 1954) and Masatoshi Koshiba (Nobel Prize in Physics 2002) - @Banana's updated his miss list for Quixall, now Koshiba to add - doubt he cares much, mind!

Slabinac is a 10th hit already in just 2 and a half months of gameplay. The same number took 6 and a half months in Round 2 and about the same in Round 1. We had hits in 4 different categories in the first 10 deaths in Round 2, but nobody had hit in all 4 categories. What are the odds on two managing it this time around?! Finally, this is the first time the first people to get within a hit of victory have done so by hitting 4 categories, in Rounds 1 and 2, it was 2 uniques which put someone close to victory (Rotten Ali in R1 - he eventually won, Death Impends in R2 - he did not) so we're in uncharted territory here!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Spade_Cooley said:

If I'm right.... Frank Borman, Anatoly Filipchenko, Ken Mattingly, James McDivitt or Tom Stafford win it for Banana. James McDivitt, Leonid Popov, Vladimir Shatalov or Aleksei Yeliseyev take it for gcreptile.

almost if you change McDivitt for Pontes for gc ;)

• Like 2

Ray Clemence is a miss here.

• Shocked 1

Looks like Biblio is handed a unique pick with Maradona ..........

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Toast said:

I was worried I was going to have loads of work to do.

49 minutes ago, Toast said:

Hah... the curse of too many choices. Congratulations!

43 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

I was worried I was going to have loads of work to do.

As if you got a unique! :lol: I was sure this was going to be one where several would be gaining ground and I was annoyed he wasn't in my team despite his recent issues. Well done Biblio!

• Thanks 1

Belated update

Congratulations to @gcreptile and @banana who both scored a hit with Croatian Eurovision Singer Kico Slabinac a fourth and fifth hit respectively but most importantly it moves them both into the winning zone. The both just need an Astronaut. 

Full winning list is now

1. Frank Borman (ba)

2. Anatomy Filipchenko (ba)*

3. Ken Mattingly (ba)

4. James McDivitt (ba)

5. Marcos Pontes (gr)

6. Leonid Popov (gr)

7. Vladimir Shatalov (gr)

8. Tom Stafford (ba)

9. Aleksei Yeliseyev (gr)

* gr loses out on number of hits however that could change.

I also got a unique for Diego Maradona which at least got me off the mark.

Leader board and Masterlist updated

• Like 1

A footnote in the annals of the Scavenger Hunt: the death of Valery Giscard D'Estaing provided belated hits for 6 people on Scavenger Hunt 2 and mean that @Grim Up North becomes the 4th person to complete in Round 2, adding to Curtis Cokes (Boxers), 3 Dallas stars, 2 Grammy winners and Burt Reynolds (Kevin Bacon co-stars) to complete all 5 categories. Two more players need a Boxer now - I'm genuinely shocked by how long those Boxers are lasting! :lol:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 08/10/2020 at 00:22, Banana said:

For anyone that cares...

Misses so far:

FIFA World Cup Players:

Nadhim Shaker, Iraq '86 (11 Sep 2020)

Ephrem M'Bom, Cameroon '82 (20 Sep 2020)

Walter Machado da Silva, Brazil '66 (29 Sep 2020)

Gilberto Penayo, Paraguay '58 (27 Oct 2020)

Carlos Campos, Chile '62 & '66 (11 Nov 2020)

Albert Quixall, England '54 (12 Nov 2020)

Ray Clemence, England '82 (15 Nov 2020)

Adam Musial, Poland '74 (18 Nov 2020)

Maurice Setters, England '58 (22 Nov 2020)

Anele Ngcongca, South Africa '10 (23 Nov 2020)

Papa Bouba Diop, Senegal '02 (29 Nov 2020)

Viktor Ponedelnik, USSR '62 (5 Dec 2020)

Paolo Rossi, Italy '78 & '82 (9 Dec 2020)

Kurt Stettler, Switzerland '62 (12 Dec 2020)

Thanks for earnestly keeping this up Banana, I was wondering if you had. So much action in the FIFA World Cup Players thread, and NO hits in the category! Another one gone today to be added.

Since Nobby Stiles died on October 30th, there have been 12 deaths reported in the thread and, incredibly, the only hit was Maradona as a unique for Biblio! 6 of the deaths have been over 80, but to put in perspective, I think there were (roughly) more than 250 World Cup players over 80 left when Stiles died, so maybe we aren't that bad after all! :lol:

• Thanks 1

As per @Ulitzer95, Nobel Laureate Jack Steinberger becomes Hit #12 already. I thought given the category it might get us close to a conclusion, but while a hit for 4 players, 3 of them had already scored with Arthur Ashkin in this category so they're all 3 Nobel Laureates away from victory instead! @Grim Up North moves 2 categories away from the finish - I think?!

• Like 1

Still waiting for an English language or possibly a National German obituary. I do not doubt he is dead but am waiting for confirmation before awarding the points