tflon

Is This Death Penalty Movie Worth Watching?

OK so one of my gung ho activist-type friends just sent me (and

everyone she knows!) an email about an upcoming Court TV movie that is

supposed to be really moving, good, important, and yada yada. Her

organization is spreading the word, partly because death penalty was

front page news this week. I'll spare you the whole email (It's like

two pages!), but I just cut and paste the main details...

Court TV Premieres Original Movie "The Exonerated" Thursday, January

27th at 9 pm. STAR-STUDDED CAST FEATURES SUSAN SARANDON, DANNY GLOVER,

AIDAN QUINN, BRIAN DENNEHY, DELROY LINDO AND INTRODUCES DAVID BROWN,

JR. The Exonerated premiere will air commercial-free...the cinematic

adaptation of the award-winning off-Broadway play of the same name

focuses on the stories of six innocent people who spent years on death

row before being set free.

So the thing is that it looks really interesting and I love the topic

and most of the actors, but the thing is although Susan Sarandon is a

great actress, she kind of rubs me the wrong way. I don't know why. I

mean, I'm really glad she's active, but she and her husband seem so

smug about it. Does anyone out there agree/know what I'm talking about?

Sometimes I think outspoken members of the Hollywood community do more

harm than good!!

I seem to recall that the last time the Tories wheeled out any "celebrities" they managed to scrape together Jim Davidson, Ed "Stewpot" Stewart and Esther McVey - give me Tim and Susan any day of the week!

Hate to be pickey, but Susan and Tim are not married, they are just good friends.

And I agree, sometimes Hollywood do-gooders turn me right off.

Hate to be pickey, but Susan and Tim are not married, they are just good friends.

Well, good friends with two kids together. And both Sarandon and Robbins are annoying, arogant twunts.

People who live priviledged lifestyles and try to tell others how best to live theirs really put me off. Currently in the US, George Bush (the elder) and Bill Clinton keep appearing on my TV together telling me it's the American way to give money to the charity they're shilling. To hell with them; when they, or any other "celebrity" who pushes for me to give to their favorite cause, has given away all but the meagerest amount of their millions and is living like the rest of the middle class, then I will listen to them. Until then, I will continue to root vigorously for their misery/death.

Well, good friends with two kids together. And both Sarandon and Robbins are annoying, arogant twunts.

People who live priviledged lifestyles and try to tell others how best to live theirs really put me off. Currently in the US, George Bush (the elder) and Bill Clinton keep appearing on my TV together telling me it's the American way to give money to the charity they're shilling. To hell with them; when they, or any other "celebrity" who pushes for me to give to their favorite cause, has given away all but the meagerest amount of their millions and is living like the rest of the middle class, then I will listen to them. Until then, I will continue to root vigorously for their misery/death.

Exactomundo.

If they expressed their "generous" donation in terms of their total nett worth or disposable assetts, then we'd see their generousity in its true light.

When someone's on $50k a year with a mortgage to pay off, giving anything to charity is a very noble thing.

When someone worth tens of millions gives, say $5k (that they don't need and can generally get tax breaks from), falls somewhat flat by comparison. :rip:

Good stuff TH

Surely if people use their positions as celebrities, politicians etc to raise awareness of issues that matter to them then it is a good thing? Providing the issue isn't blatantly unpleasant, if it's for the good of the world/other people etc then where is the harm? If 99 people are annoyed but 1 person is motivated to do something then I would consider it worth it?

Surely if people use their positions as celebrities, politicians etc to raise awareness of issues that matter to them then it is a good thing? Providing the issue isn't blatantly unpleasant, if it's for the good of the world/other people etc then where is the harm? If 99 people are annoyed but 1 person is motivated to do something then I would consider it worth it?

Ah, the old "Don't do as I do, do as I say," technique.

Well, at least here in the land of hypocrisy, when a celebrity does a charity spot they are allowed to place a (universally absurd) value on their time and use that amount as a tax deduction. Consequently, they will shoot the commercial several times over several days, often for only a few minutes of the celeb's time per day, and the tax deduction can be in the millions. Screw 'em, is my opinion.