Sign in to follow this  
Summer in Transylvania

Philip Zimbardo

With the recent debate over who should replace the (as it currently stands) 21 names to be dropped for next year's list, I would like to put forth a lesser-discussed, but nevertheless worthy, suggestion in the form of Philip Zimbardo. 

Zimbardo is best-known for the 1971 Stanford Prison Experiment, in which he himself partook as superintendent, which was aborted after just six of the fourteen days that it was supposed to go on for due to the experiment's highly psychologically abusive nature. His part in this would later make him a major commentator on the psychology behind the Abu Ghraib Prison Torture during the Iraq War when it came to light in 2004.

As for his health, I was initially wary to suggest him as yet another random famous old person who could be on the list - which has proven not to be much of a winning formula this year thus far - but, for someone fairly active in his field, I cannot find any news on him since what appears to be his most recent interview in February 2023, where he looks quite like a geriatric Spock:

Screenshot_20241006_161254_com.duckduckgo.mobile.android_edit_66017194196695.jpg

He's one to watch for the future, certainly, and is definitely DLy enough to warrant his own place on the list.

• Like 11

Also now widely used in academia as Case Study Number One in how NOT to conduct a solid ethical scientific experiment. 

• Like 6