Guest Q. Steltanus

What's up with 2005?

Guest Q. Steltanus

Why is 2005 such a slow death-year? If I extrapolate the 2 deaths so far, I only reach 9.6 deaths by the end of the year! Could it have anything to do with global warming?

When the terrorist threat materialises (as we have been promised) and the 'Bird Flu' epidemic hits then your extrapolated figures will go exponential.

When the terrorist threat materialises (as we have been promised) and the 'Bird Flu' epidemic hits then your extrapolated figures will go exponential.

And there's nothing more fun than an exponential extrapolation to look forward to on New Year's Eve.

Really? Are terrorist groups targeting ageing celebrities?

And I should have thought that the rich and famous have more protection against deadly viruses (viri?) than the rest of us. ;)

But it is a slow year, isn't it. I'm getting fed up with seeing Sister Lucia's picture every time I pay my (twice-daily) visit. I want to go away for a while, until I've heard that someone on the list has actually croaked, but I can't! I'm hooked!

I want to go away for a while, until I've heard that someone on the list has actually croaked, but I can't! I'm hooked!

To be honest, the actual deaths do not really grab my interest, I much prefer the 'craic' and general discussions, akin to the kind of conversations I used to enjoy down the pub. This was before marriage and children and all the other accumulated detritus of middle aged life forced a change in my bibulous habits.

And of course it gives you a chance to use a lot of long words which no-one else knows. Do you do a lot of crosswords?

And of course it gives you a chance to use a lot of long words which no-one else knows. Do you do a lot of crosswords?

Despite subscribing to a Word a Day

and (Another one) I still suffer from lagastellus*

I don't do any crosswords as I find them frustrating.

*I found this word on t'internet one day and it means 'A person whose enthusiasm for words outstrips his knowledge of them'. Rather apt.