Guest LilMimi

Shelby Foote Dies

Guest LilMimi

died Monday night in Memphis

Guest Unreal Eric
I guess she is history now.  ;)

She?

He had one Foote in the grave, now it's both.

I have the Burns documentary on DVD, and he is without a doubt, the best part of the whole thing.

Civil War authority Shelby Foote dead

Writer became famous for history of conflict, Burns documentary

MEMPHIS, Tennessee (AP) -- Novelist and Civil War historian Shelby Foote, whose appearances on a PBS-TV documentary series helped America better understand one of the most defining periods of its past, has died, his family said Tuesday.

Foote's widow, Gwen, said her husband, who was 88, died Monday night.

Foote, a Mississippi native and longtime Memphis resident, wrote six novels but is best remembered for his three-volume, 3,000-word history of the Civil War.

Relying on a Southern storyteller's touch, he presented that history in a flowing, narrative style. He spent 20 years writing it.

"I can't conceive of writing it any other way," Foote once told The Associated Press in an interview. "Narrative history is the kind that comes closest to telling the truth. You can never get to the truth, but that's your goal."

That work landed Foote a leading role on an 11-hour TV documentary on the Civil War, first shown on the Public Broadcast System in 1990. It was produced and directed by documentarian Ken Burns.

Copyright 2005 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Find this article at:

http://www.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/books/06/2...e.ap/index.html

Shelby%20Foote-200L.jpg

Always found the Civil War fascinating. (okay I am exagerating a bit). Figured I'd toss my un-needed information in here.

Shelby foote fun facts

And who exactly was this Tony Benn?

And who exactly was this Tony Benn?

Tony Benn is that rarest of politicians, sincere and fairly honest. Just a shame that he is totally misguided.

Or something of a minor hero to us lefties............

Or a major hero to us radical communists <_<

So, misguided then.

Or something of a minor hero to us lefties............

Or a major hero to us radical communists <_<

;) indeed.

Misguided or not.

regards,

Hein

I'd love to know if anyone here has read his book. Life's too short to read a three-volume, 3,000 word history of the Civil War, or anything else for that matter. Who has time to read that - and, more to the point, who found the time to count all those words? <_<

I'd love to know if anyone here has read his book. Life's too short to read a three-volume, 3,000 word history of the Civil War, or anything else for that matter. Who has time to read that - and, more to the point, who found the time to count all those words?  <_<

Whoever it was can't have done a very good job - that's only a thousand words per volume. Shouldn't take too long to plough through that little lot - it can't be more than about 8 or 10 pages.

And it took him 20 years to write it! That's less than 1 word every 2 days.

Pah, some scholar he was.

Whoever it was can't have done a very good job - that's only a thousand words per volume. Shouldn't take too long to plough through that little lot - it can't be more than about 8 or 10 pages.

Yes, that very thought came to me at about 9 o'clock this evening. Perhaps he used a lot of long words, or maybe it should've read three million, but then that whole counting thing would have been even more mind-boggling.