Sign in to follow this  
charon

Richard Ingrams

55 years of Private Eye brought an interview.

Sounds like shit, not old, "shit".

DL worthy. 3 years since he stopped work.

A worthy thread......

Here's a fairly recent (August) interview in The Times.  He sounds quite chipper.   And he's still driving.

He still does organ recitals in Aldworth church too.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/richard-ingrams-we-couldnt-cope-with-sudden-fame-and-fortune-r6jq6w990

Richard Ingrams has just had three stents put into an artery after he found himself getting breathless walking around. You wouldn’t have known it, looking at him in the kitchen of his rambling home, an old forge in Aldworth, a Berkshire village near the Oxfordshire border. He’s cheerily playing racing demon with his wife, Sara — also his goddaughter, 28 years his junior — her two sons and his adopted son, Louis.

As he speedily snaps down the cards on the kitchen table, you wouldn’t have thought Ingrams was 80 either. On his birthday, August 19, he held a family gathering for 20 at home. “I haven’t really come to terms with it,” he says, “I don’t feel like an 80-year-old. That’s the trouble.”

As Ingrams drives me to the station in Goring, where Midsomer Murders was filmed, we pass the Thames-side house of George Michael, piled high with floral tributes. “I thought it would make a very good Midsomer Murders story for Private Eye,” he says.

Fun fact:  Midsomer Murders is filmed just up the road in Wallingford.

So 3 stents , feeling breathless, that wid explain the deathly rattle he has two months later.

Got da feeelin that 2018 is his year.

Audible interview as opposed to written one toastie......

Fair point.  The article also mentions that Christopher Booker is the only other one left alive of those who collaborated with Ingrams at Shrewsbury School, and at Private Eye.   Another snippet:  "Ingrams went teetotal in 1967, followed shortly after by (Barry) Humphries, “a very heavy boozer”. Those who gave up drinking survived; those who didn’t, didn’t."

• Like 1