Sign in to follow this  
Cat O'Falk

Aerospace and Astronomy

You seem quite invested in this LFN (yes I know I encouraged you :P)

Can we go back to the planets now please? Looked utterly amazing. Like a spaceship or satellite. Bright as fuck. 

Who else saw it? @Cat O'Falk hope you did and thanks for the advice. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Boudicca said:

I've been looking at them over the last month or so as they became gradually closer to each other. I didn't get to see them at their closest on the 21st due to cloud cover but I did get to see them through my telescope on the 20th when they were marginally further apart.

• Like 4

18 hours ago, Boudicca said:

The sky was clear enough tonight and we were able to see them.

• Like 3

Star or the like very visible high in the sky over Glasgow. Almost as high as the horizon line limit. Mentioning this for Cat when he's around, last time iirc this turned out to be Venus. Or Jupiter? Only a zillion miles in that one...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, msc said:

Star or the like very visible high in the sky over Glasgow. Almost as high as the horizon line limit. Mentioning this for Cat when he's around, last time iirc this turned out to be Venus. Or Jupiter? Only a zillion miles in that one...

Hmm...sounds good.

Given that I’m someone who’s had so much to drink he can only read with his left eye closed, you have convinced me to enhance the experience of going outside for a cigar by attempting to take in the beautiful view of the skies of Essex.

It’s fucking cloudy. Bugger it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, msc said:

The brightest near-overhead star at 3am in Glasgow would be Dubhe in Ursa Major. Here's the sky chart for said location and time. Note that east and west aren't reversed; if you were to hold the chart above your head to use it, the directions are correct.

Glasgow 0300.png

• Like 1

10 hours ago, The Quim Reaper said:

Hmm...sounds good.

Given that I’m someone who’s had so much to drink he can only read with his left eye closed, you have convinced me to enhance the experience of going outside for a cigar by attempting to take in the beautiful view of the skies of Essex.

It’s fucking cloudy. Bugger it.

:D Clouds obscured it about  a minute after I posted.

8 hours ago, Cat O'Falk said:

The brightest near-overhead star at 3am in Glasgow would be Dubhe in Ursa Major. Here's the sky chart for said location and time. Note that east and west aren't reversed; if you were to hold the chart above your head to use it, the directions are correct.

Glasgow 0300.png

I just saw it out of the corner of my eye (we have big tenement windows) and had to tilt my head right up to see it. Going by your chart it was about.. Cepheus height? But thats as usual reliant on the naked eye's perspective from a non-astronomer.

Anyhow it was cool now I'm not 10 and assuming any light in the sky is a dinosaur killing sized asteroid about to hit Glasgow! :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, msc said:

I'm not 10 and assuming any light in the sky is a dinosaur killing sized asteroid about to hit Glasgow! :D

There's still time.  2020's not over yet.  :unsure:

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Toast said:

There's still time.  2020's not over yet.  :unsure:

If I wind up 10 years old again at any point in 2020 it'll be a hell of a shock! :lol:

(I know what you mean...)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

@msc There's a great site called Stellarium which is available online, i.e. you don't have to download and install it. Just enter your location and the time to find out what's on view.

• Like 2

@Cat O'Falk odd yellow thing in the sky in Glasgow today, not seen it before, apparently its called The Sun? :D

(Yes, how better to see if our friend is doing OK than make a crap astronomy joke in this thread? Hope your doing OK, Mr O'Falk)

• Like 3

OSPjr and I are watching NASA try to land the Perseverance rover on Mars, due to touch down in about 40 min. The rover also carries a helicopter so if all goes to plan there should be some interesting footage in the comming weeks!

• Like 1

Success!

• Like 2

An asteroid the size of the Eiffel Tower will zip past Earth Friday (March 5) and be out of our planetary neighborhood until 2029. 

The space rock, dubbed Apophis (an ancient Egyptian demon), was first spotted in 2004 and won't pose any danger to Earth during this week's flyby; it will travel past the planet at more than 40 times the distance from Earth to the moon. But scientists are using this week as a dress rehearsal for the asteroid's next pass, on April 13, 2029, when Apophis will get as close to Earth as some of the highest-orbit satellites.

https://www.livescience.com/apophis-demon-asteroid-last-flyby-until-2029.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Livesciencecom+(LiveScience.com+Science+Headline+Feed)

• Like 1

According to this video of the entire SN10 flight from takeoff to landing, it took a rocket 4 minutes to reach 10K.  

I once ran a 10K in 43 minutes.
This would PROVE that Sir Charms runs nearly 1/10 the speed of a rocket!

SC

• Like 2

Tomorrow's full moon is called the Sturgeon Moon.

Our Scottish members may like to comment.  :D

• Like 1

A death of sorts.

NASA is planning a splashy retirement party for the International Space Station (ISS), with plans to crash it into the Pacific Ocean in 2031.

According to its timeline, NASA will begin de-orbiting procedures sometime between late 2026 and mid-2028, lowering the altitude of the ISS (and increasing its velocity) until, eventually, station’s operators can perform a re-entry burn over an uninhabited part of the Pacific Ocean, according to the report. Three “visiting vehicles” will also help to propel the ISS toward the target area.  

SC

https://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/atoms/files/2022_iss_transition_report-final_tagged.pdf

• Like 1

Awaiting the Grand Conjunction which should occur near Aquarius’s crotch; I drew a representation best I could.

7C81D25A-702D-453E-ABF4-7704B8AD0B91.jpeg

9B4CF363-B23B-4B75-B768-3920F7E92A34.jpeg

• Like 1

stsci-01gfnn3pwjmy4rqxkz585bc4qh.png

• Like 2

A comet is streaking back our way after 50,000 years. It last visited during Neanderthal times, according to NASA. It will come within 26 million miles (42 million kilometers) of Earth Wednesday before speeding away again, unlikely to return for millions of years.

Discovered less than a year ago, this harmless green comet already is visible in the northern night sky with binoculars and small telescopes, and possibly the naked eye in the darkest corners of the Northern Hemisphere. It’s expected to brighten as it draws closer and rises higher over the horizon through the end of January, best seen in the predawn hours. By Feb. 10, it will be near Mars, a good landmark. 

Skygazers in the Southern Hemisphere will have to wait until next month for a glimpse.

SC

• Like 1