BrunoBrimley

Barney Is Dead

You'll be ok as long as you remember to always check your wok before you post.

It's important to distinguish between linguistic diversity, (such as different languages, regional dialect etc.,) and the ignorant bastardization of language (of which I need give no examples).

It's important to distinguish between linguistic diversity, (such as different languages, regional dialect etc.,) and the ignorant bastardization of language (of which I need give no examples).

But you simply must give examples of said bastardizationing especially when you consider it is of the ignorant sort which means we are unable to realistically remember the qwestion you had presented. Really though Notapotato, isn't what you refer to as ignorant bastardization in fact just more regional dialecting? I suppose you could argue that the rapper from South Central and his twists of words may be considered non-regional if it lands in Chicago or London or Paris however is it not now regional if the persons listening to said sounds adopt these word forms as their own? In a broader sense look at the English language itself which consists at many times of words and parts of words and combinations of words from other languages. If it has become a firmly engrained part of the Queen's English and if it appears in The Oxford English Dictionary does it in fact maintain 'bastardized' status or is it not thusly elevated to a real word?

But you simply must give examples of said bastardizationing especially when you consider it is of the ignorant sort which means we are unable to realistically remember the qwestion you had presented. Really though Notapotato, isn't what you refer to as ignorant bastardization in fact just more regional dialecting? I suppose you could argue that the rapper from South Central and his twists of words may be considered non-regional if it lands in Chicago or London or Paris however is it not now regional if the persons listening to said sounds adopt these word forms as their own? In a broader sense look at the English language itself which consists at many times of words and parts of words and combinations of words from other languages. If it has become a firmly engrained part of the Queen's English and if it appears in The Oxford English Dictionary does it in fact maintain 'bastardized' status or is it not thusly elevated to a real word?

It is just plain bad manners to write in a way that cannot be understood.

I have no difficulty in understanding Notapotato, nor in understanding the several posters for whom English is not their first language. However, I have tried to work out what your post, (quoted above) means and have concluded, after a brief intensive effort, that my time would be better spent watching Garfield, The Movie.

Is there a kind person out there who speaks 'Brimley' and can be bothered to extract the meaning for me? :unsure:

Regional dialect and variation have existed side by side with the English language for centuries. The written language as it is practised by the educated is a distinct and separate thing from the way many people speak. The one has influenced and changed the other constantly over the years and for a living language this can only be considered healthy.

On the other hand to maintain that gratuitous misspelling and foreign or downright ignorant formulation belong in the English language simply by virtue of the unfortunate fact of their frequent appearance in the same is tantamount to vandalism of the living treasure handed down to us by our literary forbears.

To borrow a foreign phrase for which there is no more appropriate English equivalent: dumbing down.

If I may quote Kipling:

"Times change, but standards must be maintained."

That's all I'm saying. Feel free to have the last word.

Now how can I have the last word when you keep refuting and disputing and often convoluting my every garbled phrase?

Actually TH my favourite (note the 'U') word is retromingent. From this comes the vernacular 'minging', and 'minge'. This could also account for the 'ming' in Birmingham.

I do agree with the good captain that it is bad manners to write in a way that can not be easily understood, as with most of the 'drive by' ranters. I am sure that Barney would concur as I understand that he has a song about manners.

As for losing the war 'some years back' BB, I seem to recall that my country has been at war with every other country at some point in history except Portugal (our oldest ally). We have won far more than we have lost.