Guest Catherine C

Death List Candidates 2004

Good point Arnold - I thought we had an extensive committee meeting but I dont recall a debate about Patrick Moore. I fear this could be a nasty oversight.

Catherine - there was some debate about Sister Lucia but there was a question mark by some of the committee about whether she was famous enough. Because of that she was voted down. No doubt time will tell if that was a mistake.

Mr Reaper

This looks like it is your annual cock-up. I have recorded a vote of 4 against Patrick Moore which should have seen him on the list - were you at the bar?

Catherine

We discussed Chalres Lane as well as Sister Lucia but sadly both were turned down on the grounds of fame. A rump of right wing hard liners turned up to the nomination meeting and pretty much shot down everyone they hadn't heard of. Philistines.

My plea that the Death List shouldn't be constrained by their own ignorance fell on deaf ears. But that's democracy for you.

Happy New Year to you all

Mr Stats

I accept this, but surely Sister Lucia is a better known spiritual figure than Maharishi Mahesh Yogi or Brother Theodore of a few years back? When she sadly passes away, the last surviving witness of one of the most important apparitions of the 20th century will be gone. It's sure to make the UK papers at least, if not TV and radio as well.

A few thoughts emerging for 2004 - Rosemary Kennedy, Olivia De Havilland, Joan Fontaine, Vera Lynn.

Guest Gucci

And wot abaht the milk snatcher herself? There's few would mourn her passing and now that Denis has gone, perhaps Maggie's demise is not so far away?

Am surprised that sharon osbourne didnt make it onto the list

still though its nice to see the teflon taoseach CJ haughy as a new entry at 23 he would have gotten my vote

would have also put sadam hussein up their as well he is just as much a dictator as robert mugabe and just as likely to pop his clogs in 2004

Arnold - we can only offer our humblest apologies on Patrick, Mr Reaper will carry the can

Billy - Sharon Osbourne was discussed and we decided that her cancer was not fatal this year and was probably exaggerated for PR purposes, we're terrible cynics. Saddam isn't going to die just yet - there's no way they'll get their act together for a trial in one year and we can't believe the States will allow him to be made a martyr. He's not a suicide risk, frankly he had opportunity already to go out with dignity but all he cares about is saving his own skin - he's not an ideologist like our mate Osama

Gucci - Maggie wasn't even discussed although she's in the database. We're expecting a romance between her and Pinochet to kick off shortly.

Catherine - Sister Lucia was chatted about for a while but none of us are Catholics and the panel hadn't heard of her. The Mahareshi meanwhile is famous as the religious guru to the Beatles - everyone's heard of him. Brother Theodore was admittedly stretching it a bit - very famous in the good old US of A and popular with our transatlantic panel members

Hope that covers it

Mr Stats

Mr. Stats' hat must be on too tight, because no one in the Home of the Free has ever heard of some damn fool called "Brother Theodore". And here's to Catherine and the comment that "you don't want a list composed almost solely of 97 year olds and up". I'd be up for nominating almost anyone with the name "Youngblood", even if they weren't old, unwell or particularly famous.

Any of you Brits ever heard of Phillies pitcher Tug McGraw who also has claims to fame as father of country singer Tim McGraw, hubbie of the luscious Faith Hill? He'd have been a good one, but sadly passed into the great bullpen in the sky.

Ronnie - DeathList has never been a young person's game - Im still waiting for Stats to work out the average age of people on the list since it began. No doubt it has increased over the years but then so has the strike rate.

Would prefer say 3 deaths out of 50 from a list of 50 years olds, or 14 out of 50 from a list like we have? I vote for the latter everytime. DeathList was getting a bit boring in the old days before it started to get refined and only had a couple of deaths a year.

Hurrah for the oldies!

Incidently despite Derby Dead Pool's great rules for rewarding younger deaths our top 20 would have finished 2nd in their competition last year.

Guest Benny_Profane

Id love to see Thatcher go this year. Dont know what the stats are but im sure a lot of people die within a year of their husband/wife, could make her a good bet (what are the odds on a glorious Thatcher/Reagen 1-2 this year?). I also reckon Sir Bobby Robson could be an outside bet.. I think "this is it" everytime i see his big red enraged face in a post match interview bemoaning something or other.

Guest Kaisersoze

ooooooooooooo, is somebody here?????????????

Guest Banshees Scream

Charles Lane will soon be 100. I think he would be a good and easy participent for the deathlist 2005. As i see it its only a matter of time :D