Sign in to follow this  
in eternum+

Death Of My Country

It appears to be that Canadians - who seem to have become delusional en masse - have elected a Conservative (minority) government.

Woe is Canada.

Last time we had a Conservative government, we were pretty much f*cked by our "friends" to the south, and are still paying for it.

I shall now have my own mini-moment of silence, as I mourn the (hopefully temporary) demise of Canada as a great country. :sicktherm:

I shall now have my own mini-moment of silence, as I mourn the (hopefully temporary) demise of Canada as a great country.  :o

At this very moment i'm trying to cheer the lovely in eternum+ up by

explaining to her by "Via PM" all the terrible ways all of Jesus's saints

had died. I came across the book today and at first I thought it was

some sort of religious hater joke. :sicktherm:

Woe is Canada.

One of my favourite chess writers (Hein Donner) asked the right question: does Canada exist?

I can imagine that the fact that one of his rivals, Hans Ree, had just tied the Canadian Open with the World Champion in 1971 skewed his view a bit.

regards,

Hein

Woe is Canada.

One of my favourite chess writers (Hein Donner) asked the right question: does Canada exist?

Is he the influence of what we call you today? Magere Hein

It appears to be that Canadians - who seem to have become delusional en masse - have elected a Conservative (minority) government.

Woe is Canada.

Last time we had a Conservative government, we were pretty much f*cked by our "friends" to the south, and are still paying for it.

I shall now have my own mini-moment of silence, as I mourn the (hopefully temporary) demise of Canada as a great country. :sicktherm:

Believe it or not, I have very little opinion about recent Canadian politics, as I've not had that much time to follow all the debates. In elections American or Canadian, I always start myself out neutral and look for a candidate who has what I'm looking for and the party that s/he represents. Right now, I think Canada needs a leader who is strong enough to stand up when necessary, but also... I don't know what word I'm looking for here... friendly?... enough to keep Canada on par with its reputation. Whether that's Conservative, Liberal, NDP or Green, whoever can do that is my guy/gal.

We need two things right now. We need a stronger stance against Iran concerning that murdered woman and we need someone who will work towards the United States abiding by the NAFTA agreement on softwood lumber.

I'll expand more if discussion is requested, but I'm not certain how much people here care. That's my brief two cents though.

• Like 1

Woe is Canada.

I shall now have my own mini-moment of silence, as I mourn the (hopefully temporary) demise of Canada as a great country.  :sicktherm:

Believe it or not, I have very little opinion about recent Canadian politics, as I've not had that much time to follow all the debates. In elections American or Canadian, I always start myself out neutral and look for a candidate who has what I'm looking for and the party that s/he represents. Right now, I think Canada needs a leader who is strong enough to stand up when necessary, but also... I don't know what word I'm looking for here... friendly?... enough to keep Canada on par with its reputation. Whether that's Conservative, Liberal, NDP or Green, whoever can do that is my guy/gal.

We need two things right now. We need a stronger stance against Iran concerning that murdered woman and we need someone who will work towards the United States abiding by the NAFTA agreement on softwood lumber.

I'll expand more if discussion is requested, but I'm not certain how much people here care. That's my brief two cents though.

I care.

Did you see that disastrous thing on 60 minutes last night on the oil sands? It made me very derpressed.

Is he the influence of what we call you today? Magere Hein

Here's a piccy of IGM Donner (an uncle of our current Minister of Justice):

142270.jpg

regards,

Hein

I care.

Did you see that disastrous thing on 60 minutes last night on the oil sands? It made me very derpressed.

Enlighten me. My housemate hasn't paid the cable bill in a long time.

I care.

The theme of the documentary was: look at all that lovely oil just sitting there waiting for us to come and get it, which will save our country from the fossil fuel crisis. What silly sods we've been! Here it's been on our doorstep for all this time; why didn't we think of raping and pillaging Alberta before? Thank goodness that clever Texan [whose name is T-Bone something-or-other] is there, to make sure we will get more than our fair share.

I appreciate that I am currently in America, and the programme was geared towards the US, but it was just so "looking out for Number One with complete disregard to who or what might get damaged along the way". And with f*cking Ralph Klein as the Premier, the sad fact is that it's probably going to happen (although someone told me today that China has bought something like 48% of tar sands stock or some such).

:sicktherm:

I care.

The theme of the documentary was: look at all that lovely oil just sitting there waiting for us to come and get it, which will save our country from the fossil fuel crisis. What silly sods we've been! Here it's been on our doorstep for all this time; why didn't we think of raping and pillaging Alberta before? Thank goodness that clever Texan [whose name is T-Bone something-or-other] is there, to make sure we will get more than our fair share.

I appreciate that I am currently in America, and the programme was geared towards the US, but it was just so "looking out for Number One with complete disregard to who or what might get damaged along the way". And with f*cking Ralph Klein as the Premier, the sad fact is that it's probably going to happen (although someone told me today that China has bought something like 48% of tar sands stock or some such).

Ridiculous. And don't even get me started on Ralph Klein... I mean, I thought he had a good plan to begin with, but now that his province is out of debt, he's completely f*****g it up.

He needs to be replaced by someone competent instead of pure idealist.

Guest Herr Himmler

I thought the country was run by "Terrence & Phillip" :sicktherm:

I care.

Ridiculous. And don't even get me started on Ralph Klein... I mean, I thought he had a good plan to begin with, but now that his province is out of debt, he's completely f*****g it up.

He needs to be replaced by someone competent instead of pure idealist.

It is not even possible for me to express via language the hatred and contempt I feel for Ralph bloody Klein.

He abused Albertans in order to get our province debt-free, and now has the gall to say that it was his government (and not the almost unlimited crude oil the province is literally built on) that is responsible for it!

Did you know that when he first came to power, one of his ways of reducing the level of unemployment in the province was to offer every unemployed person a one-way Greyhound ticket out so long as they never returned? I mean really!

It is not even possible for me to express via language the hatred and contempt I feel for Ralph bloody Klein.

He abused Albertans in order to get our province debt-free, and now has the gall to say that it was his government (and not the almost unlimited crude oil the province is literally built on) that is responsible for it!

Did you know that when he first came to power, one of his ways of reducing the level of unemployment in the province was to offer every unemployed person a one-way Greyhound ticket out so long as they never returned? I mean really!

He's definetely not a people person. :sicktherm: Seriously though, I mean, I've yet to meet a person, young or old, who thinks he's doing a good job. How is he still in power again?

He's definetely not a people person. :sicktherm: Seriously though, I mean, I've yet to meet a person, young or old, who thinks he's doing a good job. How is he still in power again?

Calgary and all of rural Alberta.

I am from Edmonton.

A right-wing government in Canada may be disheartening to some, but it just means that when the big war between the democracy-loving euro-zone and the ultra-right-wing bible-fascist USofA arrives, we won't need to worry about our nukes straying north of the border. :sicktherm:

You get what you vote for.

I mourn the potential death of your country, ie+ and Canuck Paul, and hope that Stephen Harper and his lunatic minions f**k-up so badly that they are chucked out of office asap. Canada now enters my "nice place, shame about the government" list (yes, Britain's on there too).

You get what you vote for.

I'm not.

I mourn the potential death of your country, ie+ and Canuck Paul, and hope that Stephen Harper and his lunatic minions f**k-up so badly that they are chucked out of office asap. Canada now enters my "nice place, shame about the government" list (yes, Britain's on there too).

Why thank you, I hope so too.

Calgary and all of rural Alberta.

I am from Edmonton.

My mother was born there, and her parents live there now. I work there in the summers, though I was born in Winnipeg. Would probably explain why all I've heard is Klein bashing. :sicktherm:

He needs to go though. When I'm more awake, I'll make a more cohesive argument.

Woe is Canada.

It is not the end of the world ie+,

The sun will rise tomorrow and Canada will be just fine. Despite my liberal leanings, I could not in good conscience vote for this government. It is good democracy for corrupt governments to be thrown out of office, so that they know that if they screw up, another party will be voted in, and that is exactly what happened. The liberals party brought this on themselves and have only themselves to blame.

I can only hope that this electoral defeat will serve as a warning for all political parties in Canada.

Regards,

ff :o

It is good democracy for corrupt governments to be thrown out of office, so that they know that if they screw up, another party will be voted in, and that is exactly what happened. The liberals party brought this on themselves and have only themselves to blame.

I couldn't agree more. Buth there are other parties besides the Tories.

..... and we need someone who will work towards the United States abiding by the NAFTA agreement on softwood lumber.

This sounds sooooo exciting, please do tell us more. :sicktherm:

My country is dying too. A slow strangulation in red tape, taxation and interference.

..... and we need someone who will work towards the United States abiding by the NAFTA agreement on softwood lumber.

My country is dying too. A slow strangulation in red tape, taxation and interference.

What, Yorkshire?

What, Yorkshire?

It may have passed all four of you by, but Yorkshire is not an independant country (yet). If it were, I believe we could make a better fist of running the place than the London based Scottish twunts currently in charge.

EDIT:

Remembered this post from earlier last year. The JYFA will rise one day.

It may have passed all four of you by, but Yorkshire is not an independant country (yet).

Standards slipping, Mr. J?

Tut, tut!

This sounds sooooo exciting, please do tell us more. :)

What, Yorkshire?

It may have passed all four of you by, but Yorkshire is not an independant country (yet). If it were, I believe we could make a better fist of running the place than the London based Scottish twunts currently in charge.

EDIT:

Remembered this post from earlier last year. The JYFA will rise one day.

Here, here. Come the great day I would like to nominate Dickie Bird as president and Mollie Sugden as first lady.

Not sure what to think about this ie+ (or anyone else who is interested). It's promising that he wants to work towards the enforcement of the NAFTA agreement, but I'm not sure how he's going to be able to do that if he's going to buddy buddy with GWB over every other issue.

Before we can repair relations, we have to hardline that issue and get it resolved. Then we can talk about fixing other problems. How are we going to get them to enforce the agreement if they we start off a new administration by acquising immediately on a whole bunch of issues?