Sign in to follow this  
Harvester Of Souls

Locked Threads

Any particular reason for locking some of these threads?

Granted some of the shite posted on this forum recently isn't worth the little asterix but some of the locked threads have been star rated by the moderators. What's happening or is it purely for the secret circle? :(

Any particular reason for locking some of these threads?

Granted some of the shite posted on this forum recently isn't worth the little asterix but some of the locked threads have been star rated by the moderators. What's happening or is it purely for the secret circle? :(

*fighting urge to be pedantic*

*losing that fight*

HoS, you know I respect you and don't want to start a fight, but the word you were looking for is asterisk.

Asterix is a cartoon character.

Sorry, couldn't let that one go.

Can we lock this thread before anyone else spells thigns rong? :lol:

Before this thread is, in fact, locked, I would like to add my two sents.

I have recently become somewhat incensed over the amount of bollocksy threads/posts on this forum. I find them all eminently uninspiring and unpostable in. I don't understand what has happened.

I find this more enflaming than threads being locked. Though of course I give HoS my full support in his endeavours.

Having said that, you are quite right that locking threads is a bit pointless, and if people want to write about any subject they will, and the proof of its popularity will be found in the pudding that is the number of posts. I'll unlock those that remain shut.

Good show, Sir! Once more our little forum is lacking a kudos button! Huzzah! clapper9yr.gif

Threads get locked I try not to think aboit why and sometimes a locked thread is later unlocked often without reasons given, again I think as little abvout it as I can. Mods and admins have a tough job and need to lock threads and it is not mine to reason why, mine is but to do or die.

OK, that was lame, who deleted all my posts in this thread? There was absolutely no reason to do so, and I believe that my argument was a very good one (after all, I got them to unlock the threads). Now one I point people here to see my argument, I look like an idiot.

So really, what gives?

Well what a kerfuffle. :P

No sign in the trashcan, somebody has been thorough.

I wasn't aware that there are that many locked threads. The R O'Sullvan thread gets locked and unlocked according to how far off topic it has gone but there aren't that many locked at one ime are there?

I wasn't aware that there are that many locked threads. The R O'Sullvan thread gets locked and unlocked according to how far off topic it has gone but there aren't that many locked at one ime are there?

There were a couple that were (at least in my mind) controversally locked yesterday. The discussion was moved to the Ron Santo thread if you want to see what this thread is all about.

I remember why this thread was originally created, but it serves no logical purpose if one doesn't remember.

I can see why you're doing this CP but all it seems to be doing is shunting more interesting threads down the line. This lot were part of the fossil record.

I can see why you're doing this CP but all it seems to be doing is shunting more interesting threads down the line. This lot were part of the fossil record.

The idea is though that they will quickly be merged or deleted and no one will ever have to deal with them again. I picked this time because it's past midnight in the UK, and chances are a mod will come by and clean them all up before the main crowd comes in.

I'm done now anyhow though.

The idea is though that they will quickly be merged or deleted and no one will ever have to deal with them again. I picked this time because it's past midnight in the UK, and chances are a mod will come by and clean them all up before the main crowd comes in.

I'm done now anyhow though.

I supplied a whole list of threads like this not that long ago, unfortunately only a small amount of deleting/merging was done by the Mods. They are a tad workshy perhaps. Maybe we should keep reviving them until action is taken :lol:

PS a great way to get your post count up as well, hey CP. :P

I supplied a whole list of threads like this not that long ago, unfortunately only a small amount of deleting/merging was done by the Mods. They are a tad workshy perhaps. Maybe we should keep reviving them until action is taken :huh:

Hey, if I can help out the DL in cleaning up clutter and raise my post count and posts per day ratio without anyone in the future being able to figure out how I did so (once many of these are deleted) at the same time, then why shy away from that? :lol:

In other news, that was probably the biggest run-on sentence I've ever written on Deathlist. I was thinking that perhaps we can convert this thread into a discussion forum for deleting threads. That way, instead of raising all these "fossil" threads to the top, we can avoid the problem Godot brought up by posting links to threads that need a fair amount of "reassignment" and avoid the problem you brought up by making sure this thread floats on top of the list until our demands are satisfied.

I supplied a whole list of threads like this not that long ago, unfortunately only a small amount of deleting/merging was done by the Mods. They are a tad workshy perhaps. Maybe we should keep reviving them until action is taken :huh:

Hey, if I can help out the DL in cleaning up clutter and raise my post count and posts per day ratio without anyone in the future being able to figure out how I did so (once many of these are deleted) at the same time, then why shy away from that? :lol:

In other news, that was probably the biggest run-on sentence I've ever written on Deathlist. I was thinking that perhaps we can convert this thread into a discussion forum for deleting threads. That way, instead of raising all these "fossil" threads to the top, we can avoid the problem Godot brought up by posting links to threads that need a fair amount of "reassignment" and avoid the problem you brought up by making sure this thread floats on top of the list until our demands are satisfied.

Good Idea, I was perhaps a tad hard on the Mods they did delete/merge most of the threads I listed, but they do very quickly lose interest in the menial tidying up work.

A forum needs good housekeeping, to make it easy to navigate and locate relevant threads, it's an ongoing job that needs regular attention.

Good Idea, I was perhaps a tad hard on the Mods they did delete/merge most of the threads I listed, but they do very quickly lose interest in the menial tidying up work.

A forum needs good housekeeping, to make it easy to navigate and locate relevant threads, it's an ongoing job that needs regular attention.

But surely the members housekeep the threads themselves, when they don't post in them and the threads disappear to the annals of DL history?

That's like have a perfectly good layer of dust hidden under a sofa. It is doing no one any harm there, until someone comes along and stirs it all up, causing it to get into peoples' airways, as said stirrer points out that there's a lot of dust in the air and shouldn't someone clean it up. Just leave the dust man!

But surely the members housekeep the threads themselves, when they don't post in them and the threads disappear to the annals of DL history?

That's like have a perfectly good layer of dust hidden under a sofa. It is doing no one any harm there, until someone comes along and stirs it all up, causing it to get into peoples' airways, as said stirrer points out that there's a lot of dust in the air and shouldn't someone clean it up. Just leave the dust man!

These threads clutter up the search facility, why ignore the detritus, better to delete it or if possible merge into another more appropriate thread.

These threads clutter up the search facility, why ignore the detritus, better to delete it or if possible merge into another more appropriate thread.

But you can refine your search to specific periods of time, so if you don't want to include anything old, you don't have to. On the other hand, if you want to do a bit of archive searching, to reminisce about the good ol' days or something, then the threads are there if you want them.

Surely it's not that much of a problem.

But you can refine your search to specific periods of time, so if you don't want to include anything old, you don't have to. On the other hand, if you want to do a bit of archive searching, to reminisce about the good ol' days or something, then the threads are there if you want them.

Surely it's not that much of a problem.

Keep the quality old threads, chuck out the junk.

Surely that's not much of a problem? :P

Can't stand clutter myself.

Yes, but who decides what is 'quality' and what isn't? Us? The mods? One man's junk is another man's treasure, right?

If you think it's junk, simply don't open it/post in it.

Yes, but who decides what is 'quality' and what isn't? Us? The mods? One man's junk is another man's treasure, right?

If you think it's junk, simply don't open it/post in it.

I think common sense is all that is needed to determine which threads are worth keeping.

If I think it's junk, then from now on I will post in it, to highlight that fact.

If I think it's junk, then from now on I will post in it, to highlight that fact.

That's ridiculous.

That's ridiculous.

No, what's ridiculous is closing your eyes and ignoring the junk and pretending it's not there.

Better to deal with it and give the forum a good spring clean.

No, what's ridiculous is closing your eyes and ignoring the junk and pretending it's not there.

Better to deal with it and give the forum a good spring clean.

It's not a question of "closing your eyes and pretending it's not there". My god, you're speaking about old threads as if they're crimes against humanity!

Just leave 'em. If you don't want to read them, ignore them. Then, they're there if others do want to read them. Who knows, maybe one day they're regain relevance. Like the Don Knotts thread.