Grim Reaper

Comedic Euthanasia?

A bit like Monoclinic, we went years with no TV and even longer without UK TV, but the children's education, the call of the BBC, and cheap Sky kits on Ebay changed all this.

I took to 'surfing' the channels, and stumbled upon a strange looking chap in a Spurs shirt. This grabbed my attention, because as everyone knows, everyone in England supports either Manchester United or Liverpool. Without knowing it and with no 'hype' to help me along, I was really enjoying a silly show called Gavin and Stacey. Great it's not, but I think it's still very good.

If building 'em up to knock 'em down, was an olympic sport the UK would be world beaters.

I agree with L.B. about Rik Mayall. As I have mentioned on here before, I am a great admirer of his Bottom. I found it quite hard to get into, but if you haven't tried it give it a go.

I agree with L.B. about Rik Mayall. As I have mentioned on here before, I am a great admirer of his Bottom. I found it quite hard to get into, but if you haven't tried it give it a go.

Drop Dead Fred is an old favourite of mine. Granted I first saw it when I was about 10, I still regard it as one of the funniest films I have seen (probably due to nostalgia).

I too like 'Bottom', but then I'm someone who doesn't mind non-intellectual, cheap-laugh comedy. When I was in my first years of secondary school, it was a legendary programme amongst my friends. One of the circulating quotes being, "I believe that our diet...has something to do with what we eat...".

Like I say, there isn't much to do up this way. :)

Do you think we offended him?

In my book, The Office was pretty revolutionary in its style of humour - it pretty much introduced a style of "uncomfortable to watch" humour which maybe some people didn't like. The fact that this has become a frequently used style now probably takes away from it these days.

Curb Your Enthusiasm very much picks up on its idea but is done from a more sympathetic viewpoint. There was an Aussie comedy "Summer Heights High" which used a similar style and I thought was pretty amusing.

Anyway none of this discussion should take away from Horne and Corden - I had even forgotten about their movie which also got horrific reviews.

I had to chuckle when in my newspaper this morning there was an article almost picking up on this thread Horne and Corden: is this the end?

Not seen This Is Spinal Tap or The King of Comedy then... :)

The strange thing that struck me about the Office is that it's a spoof documentary without the voice over or the participation of a spoof documentary maker, which is the case in virtually all mockumentaries including the disgraced Chris Langhams' People Like Us, made before the Office... :rolleyes:

I wouldn't call Spinal Tap "uncomfortable to watch" humour, certainly not in relation to The Office. Unless you're Jimmy Page or Rob Halford, perhaps.

Mock documentary, long embarrasing pauses between lines, shots of uncomfortable faces after some embarrassing remark or other. Stuff like that...

Drop Dead Fred is an old favourite of mine. Granted I first saw it when I was about 10, I still regard it as one of the funniest films I have seen (probably due to nostalgia).

I too like 'Bottom', but then I'm someone who doesn't mind non-intellectual, cheap-laugh comedy. When I was in my first years of secondary school, it was a legendary programme amongst my friends. One of the circulating quotes being, "I believe that our diet...has something to do with what we eat...".

Like I say, there isn't much to do up this way. :)

Aahh young man, left with the crumbs after we engorged on The Young Ones, Filthy, Rich & Catflap and the Comic Strip Presents. You missed out son....:rolleyes: