Sign in to follow this  
Madcow

Laughing At Funerals

A couple of years ago, a friend passed away. It was a sad time for all who knew him, as he was only 29.

En masse, we gathered in the church for the service and waited in silence as the vicar solemnly announced

"Today, we are here to give thanks for The Life of Brian"

How I tried to subdue my mirth. I smothered my mouth, I held my breath and eventually had to make strangled wooting noises whilst banging my head against the church wall. Luckily, most people thought I was just overwhelmed with grief.

This was not the first time I have had to resort to this tactic at a funeral. The first time being when my Grandma was cremated. She'd always been Nanny to me. It never occured to me that she even had a name. It came as a bit of a shock find her name was Doris Ethel. My sister didn't know either. The pair of us were in tears laughing.

How have you put the 'fun' in funeral?

I haven't but a former workmate told me that his mum wanted her ashes scattered from a cliff overlooking the sea and when her three sons went about the duties said ashes blew back and covered their faces leaving them gasping and choking. They figured their mum had planned this deliberately and would've laughed at the consequences.

It always occured to me that if I was invisible for a day the best fun I could have would be sneaking into funerals, banging on coffin lids and making muffled screaming noises.

It always occured to me that if I was invisible for a day the best fun I could have would be sneaking into funerals, banging on coffin lids and making muffled screaming noises.

I always thought that I would go into girls bedrooms and letch at them being naked - but somehow that doesn't seem appropriate.

DWB :blink:

I was at a funeral of a former customer. The priest was in the pulpit spouting forth about this bloke we hardly recognised from his eulogy when the microphone stand began slowly subsiding. It was as if old Bill himself had heard enough crap! We all had a little titter.

Another time was quite deliberate - the deceased's favourite part of his favourite TV program was played as the curtains closed on the coffin. Only Fools and Horses - 'Cwying'!

I have a friend who would like to be carried in by male strippers on stilts. :referee:

Fits of laughter are not at all unusual at funerals, it's a stress response. Personally, I'm hiring a comedian to do my eulogy; leave 'em laughing, I always say.

A couple of years ago, a friend passed away. It was a sad time for all who knew him, as he was only 29.

How have you put the 'fun' in funeral?

I ain't done did this yet-----I'm usually having a coffin fit :evil2: .

I have a friend who would like to be carried in by male strippers on stilts. :blink:

Will my prosthetic leg do as a substitute?

Fits of laughter are not at all unusual at funerals, it's a stress response.
Or perhaps the parlor staff which goes about tickling people with feathers....

Personally, I'm hiring a comedian to do my eulogy; leave 'em laughing, I always say.
Well it will be something of a celebration for the person who gets your collection of owl eyes and melted candles and yet somehow I doubt that will elicit rounds of rolling laughter...