59 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

Incidentally, the noises she makes during that scene - I'm pretty sure she's covering a track from an early Yoko Ono album!

I’m aware of the nature of this site, but is that really necessary? That footage is really upsetting. Have some empathy

35 minutes ago, oldhollywood said:

I’m aware of the nature of this site, but is that really necessary? That footage is really upsetting. Have some empathy

With respect - Yes, that is the nature of this site and dark humour goes with that to a degree. Also The person you quote is not the one who originally posted, if you are going to complain, do it to both. 

But mostly - the footage wasn't viewable directly and was flagged as being 'scary' from a documentary about a crisis - what were you expecting exactly? You didn't have to view it, you chose to.

• Like 2

I have worked in healthcare for years now.A dark sense of humour is essential in life.It isn't to diminish anything it's a essential protective mechanism.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, En Passant said:

With respect - Yes, that is the nature of this site and dark humour goes with that to a degree. Also The person you quote is not the one who originally posted, if you are going to complain, do it to both. 

But mostly - the footage wasn't viewable directly and was flagged as being 'scary' from a documentary about a crisis - what were you expecting exactly? You didn't have to view it, you chose to.

I watched the documentary, I didn’t need to click the link. Talking about it or sharing the clip isn’t what I have a problem with it’s making jokes about it

2 minutes ago, oldhollywood said:

I watched the documentary, I didn’t need to click the link. Talking about it or sharing the clip isn’t what I have a problem with it’s making jokes about it

Then you should have made that clearer in the first place.

And it's still the nature of this site so goes with the territory I'm afraid.

Don't get me wrong, I took a few seconds of it and quit thankyou-very-much I'd rather not see this.

But that was my choice. You had the same in the first place with the doc.

Live and let live, as Sean points out, people see these things differently. You are imposing your values on others.

Theres a whole thread devoted to complaints about this site by the way.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, En Passant said:

Then you should have made that clearer in the first place.

And it's still the nature of this site so goes with the territory I'm afraid.

Don't get me wrong, I took a few seconds of it and quit thankyou-very-much I'd rather not see this.

But that was my choice. You had the same in the first place with the doc.

Live and let live, as Sean points out, people see these things differently. You are imposing your values on others.

Theres a whole thread devoted to complaints about this site by the way.

It’s not the site or the scene I’m complaining about, it’s one specific joke I found to be disrespectful. I acknowledged the irony of me getting upset about it considering the site I’m on, but I don’t think mocking someone dealing with a horrific life-threatening condition is something you should just accept.

1 hour ago, oldhollywood said:

It’s not the site or the scene I’m complaining about, it’s one specific joke I found to be disrespectful. I acknowledged the irony of me getting upset about it considering the site I’m on, but I don’t think mocking someone dealing with a horrific life-threatening condition is something you should just accept.

To be honest the main focus of the joke was Yoko Ono's music which is fair game

• Like 10

5 hours ago, oldhollywood said:

it’s one specific joke I found to be disrespectful.

And, for the second time of pointing it out, that's your view not necessarily that of others.

You are completely entitled to it. 

But, and it's a big but - for some reason you believe your view should be pre-eminent?

How is that different from say Jehovah's Witnesses showing up at your door?

Oh wait no, it's exactly the same.

You are looking down on others because they do not believe as you do. Stop that please.

4 hours ago, Bibliogryphon said:

To be honest the main focus of the joke was Yoko Ono's music which is fair game

Pretty generous to describe it as music

49 minutes ago, En Passant said:

And, for the second time of pointing it out, that's your view not necessarily that of others.

You are completely entitled to it. 

But, and it's a big but - for some reason you believe your view should be pre-eminent?

How is that different from say Jehovah's Witnesses showing up at your door?

Oh wait no, it's exactly the same.

You are looking down on others because they do not believe as you do. Stop that please.

You’re doing an awful lot of mental gymnastics trying to make yourself seem somehow righteous in this situation.

I’m entitled to an opinion. How is what you’re doing different from what you’re accusing me of doing?

none of this banter relates to celine dion so please take this elsewhere

8 minutes ago, oldhollywood said:

You’re doing an awful lot of mental gymnastics trying to make yourself seem somehow righteous in this situation.

I’m entitled to an opinion. How is what you’re doing different from what you’re accusing me of doing?

I dont give a fuck one way or the other. I am however fed up to the back teeth of people

proselytizing their own view as being the 'right' one.

4 minutes ago, jimbean1121 said:

none of this banter relates to celine dion so please take this elsewhere

I've thought about this carefully, and for quite a while. Fuck Off.

13 minutes ago, oldhollywood said:

I’m entitled to an opinion

Yes, yes indeed you are. But it's the fact that you cannot restrict it to 'I disagree and I think this is tasteless'.

You have to take the moral high ground by stating that other people (who you have no knowlege of) have no empathy.

You simply do not know that. They made a joke, that's all.

35 minutes ago, En Passant said:

I've thought about this carefully, and for quite a while. Fuck Off.

:(

1 hour ago, jimbean1121 said:

:(

I'm sorry, it's not personal.

To a degree, you are right. It doesn't ultimately pertain to Celine specifically.

However, it boils my piss when people try to claim some kind of moral high ground about what can and cannot be talked about, or in this case joked about because it offends them personally.

For the second time. Live and let live. People have, and are entitled to differing opinions. Black humour is a part of that.

It just so happens oldhollywood and I fundamentally disagree in a thread that happens to be this one.

I was a bit abrupt. I apologise for that.