Sign in to follow this  
Guest IYG

The Dead Pool

Guest IYG

Being a huge movie fan I like seeing a ton of movies and now having some time off college I get to see quite a bit.

Today I watched The Dead Pool (1988), the 5th and last Dirty Harry movie.

Normally I wouldn't post a movie here but this movie deals with the same thing the Death List deals with, guessing which celebrities are going to die.

I was just wondering what are your thoughts of this movie and do you think someone could go as far as to killing celebs on his list just to 'win'.

Personally I thought it was a really good movie, I enjoyed it a lot.

:ph34r:

do you think someone could go as far as to killing celebs on his list just to 'win'.

The answer is no and a majority of death pools have rules specifically forbidding members from harming anyone on his or her list. I have included part of a post from DWB dated Dec 8th, 2004 addressing that very subject.

If you read the unwritten rules of the DL you will see that a DL candidate cannot be 'bumped off' in order to score a hit on the list.

Maybe we should each pick one of the people on the list and bump them off to hurry things along, mmmm been a protestant from Northern Ireland I figure its my duty to take out the pope!

Guest IYG
do you think someone could go as far as to killing celebs on his list just to 'win'.

The answer is no and a majority of death pools have rules specifically forbidding members from harming anyone on his or her list. I have included part of a post from DWB dated Dec 8th, 2004 addressing that very subject.

If you read the unwritten rules of the DL you will see that a DL candidate cannot be 'bumped off' in order to score a hit on the list.

I think most of the people playing these things are just playing for fun but someone might go as far as actually killing a celeb one day if he's really unstable and with all the death lists circling around, too many suspects.

And VM, I think the Pope will be taken out by his boss pretty soon. :ph34r:

I have an idea for a game.

All competitors pick a candidate who is over 90 years old, but seems to have a few good years left in them.

They then pay a fiver a month into the kitty until their candidate dies. They have then lost and withdraw from the game.

The remaining candidates continue to pay their fiver until their candidates also die.

Anyone who fails to pay in for more than two months on the trot without a bloody good reason gets disqualified and loses all his money.

The player whose candidate lives the longest gets all the money. It could take 10 years and amount to a goodly sum.

Players would be discouraged from murdering one another's candidates.

It's a sort of tontine.

Any takers?

Where would one find the unwritten rules then? ( :ph34r: )

QUOTE (football_fan @ Jan 9 2005, 06:43 AM)

Where would one find the unwritten rules then?

I could tell you......... but I'd have to shoot you! :ph34r:

And VM, I think the Pope will be taken out by his boss pretty soon. :P

I have to agree on you on that one. He's in line for a promotion :ph34r:

I was just wondering what are your thoughts of this movie and do you think someone could go as far as to killing celebs on his list just to 'win'.

You would have to be a bit whacko to do something like that. :ph34r:

Guest IYG

You would have to be a bit whacko to do something like that. :ph34r:

And we all know the world is rid of whackos. :P

Notapotato, I've heard of similar games where the people put in money and over time, ending up with a nice sum, I'd do it but I have no income being a college student.

jim carrey makes an appearance in this film as a rockstar

i thought dirty harry was getting tired by the end of this film

Guest IYG
jim carrey makes an appearance in this film as a rockstar

i thought dirty harry was getting tired by the end of this film

This is such an early movie in Jim Carrey's career that he is actually credited as James Carrey.

I agree, Harry was pretty tired by the end of it and I guess that's why it was the last of the series.

It's a sort of tontine.

Wow. That's not a word heard often these days!

Tontine

QUOTE (Larry Pestilence III @ Jan 9 2005, 07:02 PM) It's a sort of tontine.

It's also a fine restaurant near Northallerton (on the A19) in North Yorkshire: Tontine

And of course the inspiration for that great film The Wrong Box starring a "host of British comedy favourites", many of whom, to get back to the point of this site, are dead.

Ralph Pichardson, Dud & Pete etc...

Although a leading survivor is our old friend Sir John Mills...

I grew up in a shithole town where all the sleazy 'niteclubs' were on a road called 'Tontine Street'

Come Saturday night when the squaddies were out on the lash, it certainly seemed like a case of last man left alive gets a donner kebab.

Once had a 'doner' when sober.............disgusting.

As a kid, I had the honour of spending my summer holidays in Monkey-Hanging Hartlepool every year. I think I've been past that restaurant a couple of times too. Certainly rings a bell. I think there was a Tontine Road in Hartlepool too.

It would seem that tontines are probably illegal in the UK. I shall do some research regarding the legal situation here in Germany.

Incidentally, Tontine Street was on TV last night. BBC1 'Drunk and Dangerous' - A look at pikey piss-heads.

Not pleasant.

It's a sort of tontine.

It's amazing what you can learn watching The Simpsons.