Well, it’s been a long one. Heck of a lot of talent and toot in equal measure in this game, but in the end, rather aptly for Kill or Save, Murder wins! 207 murders have happened on this dancefloor, now let us all strip off and go wild for our latest winner, Sophie Ellis-Bextor! She ain’t half had a good year, and fair fucks to her, MOTD (not off of football) has aged like a fine wine.

Here she is to play us out, though this is best enjoyed with added Barry Keoghan arse cheeks on Amazon Prime.

This is how things stacked up in the end:

1. Sophie Ellis-Bextor — Murder On The Dancefloor
  2. Mark Ronson ft. Amy Winehouse — Valerie
  3. Kylie Minogue — Love At First Sight
  4. Coldplay — In My Place
  5. Gorillaz — Feel Good Inc.
  6. Manic Street Preachers — Your Love Alone Is Not Enough
  7. Wheatus — Teenage Dirtbag
  8. Adele — Chasing Pavements
  9. Razorlight — Somewhere Else
  10. Coldplay — Speed Of Sound
  11. Kylie Minogue — On A Night Like This
  12. Pink — Get The Party Started
  13. Oasis — Stop Crying Your Heart Out
  14. Kelis — Trick Me
  15. Busted — Year 3000
  16. Corinne Bailey Rae — Put Your Records On
  17. Manic Street Preachers — The Love Of Richard Nixon
  18. Justin Timberlake — Cry Me A River
  19. Daft Punk — One More Time
  20. Plain White T’s — Hey There Delilah
  21. Taylor Swift — Love Story
  22. Dido — White Flag
  23. Kate Nash — Foundations
  24. Jeff Buckley — Hallelujah
  25. James Morrisson ft. Nelly Furtado — Broken Strings

Some of us haven’t been best pleased with the quality of the music in this final group. To them I say: wise up, dickheads. It could be a hell of a lot worse. This fucking lot for starters - the worst 25 of the game:

Westlife — What Makes A Man

Martine McCutcheon — I’m Over You

Ronan Keating — Lovin’ Each Day

Steps — The Way You Make Me Feel

True Steppers, Dane Bowers & Victoria Beckham — Out Of Your Mind

One True Voice — Sacred Trust / After You’re Gone

Shane Richie — I’m Your Man

Cheeky Girls — Cheeky Song (Touch My Bum)

Jay-Z ft. Beyoncé — Bonnie & Clyde

Fast Food Rockers — Fast Food Song

4-4-2 — Come On England

Busted — Air Hostess

Westlife ft. Diana Ross — When You Tell Me That You Love Me

Duncan James & Keedie — I Believe My Heart

Ronan Keating — She Believes In Me

Lee Mead — Any Dream Will Do

Cliff Richard — 21st Century Christmas/Move It

Shayne Ward — No Promises

Pussycat Dolls ft. Will.I.Am — Beep

Shayne Ward — No U Hang Up / If That’s OK With You

Geraldine McQueen — The Winners Song

Westlife — What About Now

Nickelback — Rockstar

Sugababes — Get Sexy

Robbie Williams — Bodies

So, that’s another lot of the UK No.2s done! Thank you so much to all who join in, whether you’ve been here since day 1, have joined us recently or even just dip in and out. Love your work. Mostly.

Now though, such is the scale of the beast that is Kill or Save, this party is about to go forth and multiply. I’m delighted to welcome @wannamaker as our estimable new gamerunner for the No.3s. He’s primed and ready to take us back to the 1970s to begin rifling through the songs that finished their chart climb the next rung down the ladder.

Meanwhile, I will be doing a bit of gap filling (insert :o meme here). It’s time we gave the 1950s and the 2010s the attention they (arguably) deserve. 2010s No.1s are up first, which’ll run alongside Wannamaker’s No.3s of the 1970s. And 1980s. And maybe 1990s; it’s a big fuck off list. Once we’re all caught up, we’ll change tack and look at doing themed rounds - the possibilities are endless here!

Anyway, enough jibber-jabber from me; our workload has just doubled. Let’s go Killing and Saving!

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Can I lodge a point of order? How do these lists work? Number 1s are obviously easy, the songs that got to Number 1, but Number 2s and 3s...surely lots of the songs that spent a week in those positions also got to Number 1? Presumably they're filtered out, but we still seem to have a very long list for each round...am I missing something or am I right? Just curious.

Sophie's a worthy winner, and I didn't hate any of the final 4 or 5 - but Dido and Kate Nash should definitely have been higher.

3 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

Can I lodge a point of order? How do these lists work? Number 1s are obviously easy, the songs that got to Number 1, but Number 2s and 3s...surely lots of the songs that spent a week in those positions also got to Number 1? Presumably they're filtered out, but we still seem to have a very long list for each round...am I missing something or am I right? Just curious.

Songs that peaked at that number during their original chart run.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, RoverAndOut said:

These are songs that peaked at No.2. There just seems to be a period of about 15 years from the late 90s to the early 10s where the charts were incredibly dynamic and fickle.

• Like 1

Just now, TQR said:

These are songs that peaked at No.2. There just seems to be a period of about 15 years from the late 90s to the early 10s where the charts were incredibly dynamic and fickle.

Mad that so many songs reached Number 2 without reaching Number 1. Does this mean, conceivably, there could be a period between, say, May 1982 and July 1982  for example where there is no Number 2 song in the game because every song that was at Number 2 one week rose to Number 1 the week after? So we might have the Number 2 from the last week of April 1982 and the next entry could be Number 2 from the middle of July 1982?

4 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

Mad that so many songs reached Number 2 without reaching Number 1. Does this mean, conceivably, there could be a period between, say, May 1982 and July 1982  for example where there is no Number 2 song in the game because every song that was at Number 2 one week rose to Number 1 the week after? So we might have the Number 2 from the last week of April 1982 and the next entry could be Number 2 from the middle of July 1982?

A perfect example of this will be found in a future game, the 10s No.2s. Mild spoiler alert, this is the complete list of songs that peaked at No.2 in 2018:

25 Jan 2018 - Ramz — Barking

5 Apr 2018 - George Ezra — Paradise

3 May 2018 - Ariana Grande — No Tears Left To Cry

12 Jul 2018 - Drake ft. Michael Jackson — Don’t Matter To Me

11 Oct 2018 - Marshmallow ft. Bastille — Happier

8 Nov 2018 - Little Mix ft. Nicki Minaj — Woman Like Me

And that's it! 52 weeks of charts and only 6 No.2s because most then got to No.1.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, TQR said:

A perfect example of this will be found in a future game, the 10s No.2s. Mild spoiler alert, this is the complete list of songs that peaked at No.2 in 2018:

25 Jan 2018 - Ramz — Barking

5 Apr 2018 - George Ezra — Paradise

3 May 2018 - Ariana Grande — No Tears Left To Cry

12 Jul 2018 - Drake ft. Michael Jackson — Don’t Matter To Me

11 Oct 2018 - Marshmallow ft. Bastille — Happier

8 Nov 2018 - Little Mix ft. Nicki Minaj — Woman Like Me

And that's it! 52 weeks of charts and only 6 No.2s because most then got to No.1.

Perfect, thanks for that. I never question the lists, but obviously they don't come with dates, and some of them have been enormous! Interesting to see how it fits together - as for 2018, I know just two of those. It's going to be a long game... :lol:

Just now, RoverAndOut said:

Perfect, thanks for that. I never question the lists, but obviously they don't come with dates, and some of them have been enormous! Interesting to see how it fits together - as for 2018, I know just two of those. It's going to be a long game... :lol:

In the first post, I always include a complete list with all the dates, in spoiler tags.

• Like 1

Just now, TQR said:

In the first post, I always include a complete list with all the dates, in spoiler tags.

I never read that, I like to leave it for yearly surprises. :lol: But good to know for future reference. Thanks for all the work you (and others) put into this little diversion.

• Like 1