More from Andrew Cotter. 

• Haha 2

On 11/08/2024 at 17:49, RoverAndOut said:

@The Old Crem I won't quote you just in case TQR pops back and there's no need to if I'm responding to your points.

1. Target hit.

2. Target missed. If we'd only won 50 medals, we'd have only needed 17 golds for a third, so it's awful that we overachieved. I've already outlined how close we were to a bucketful more golds which would have more than hit the target. There are plenty more nearlys they'll be able to point to, too.

3. Target missed. We don't control the medal table. or what other countries do. If we'd hit our gold target, we'd have hit our medal table target. As it was, we were 2 golds away, hardly disastrous. We could have won 17 gold medals and nothing else, been 5th on the medal table and hit 2 of the 3 targets but I'm not sure it would be a better games for missing out on the top one.

If UK Sport consider 29 bronze medals a failure, then our standards are too high. If they consider there to be room for improvement, they'd be right.

I’ve been reading various other froums and found bits and bobs of other country targets. 
France - Top 5 - Target met. 

Italy - Better than Tokyo (10, 10, 20) - Target met - same amount of medals but more golds and higher medal table placing.

Spain - Better than Barcelona (22 medals) - Target not achieved.

New Zealand - 13-18 medals - Target exceeded 

Hungary - 15-25 medals - Target met 

South Korea - At least five golds - Exceeded and then some. 
Japan  - 55 medals and 20 golds - Met the golds but not the total number of medals. 
Brazil -  Better than Tokyo (7, 6, 8) - Target not achieved (3, 7, 10)

Germany - Remain top 9 - Target just failed 

Netherlands - Top 10 in the medal table - Target achieved 

Belgium - Better than Tokyo (3,1,3) - Target achieved (3, 1, 6) - also higher on the medal table. 
Kenya - 6 gold medals - Target failed 

Switzerland -  As good as Tokyo (3,4,6) - Target failed - (1, 2, 5)

Ireland - 5-7 medals - Target met. 

So some countries did well but a few failed.

• Like 1

@The Old Crem interesting though they may be, I think you'll find it was impossible for all those countries to hit their medal targets at the same time. That's how sport works. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Toast said:

You can still buy a 5 disc DVD of the opening and closing ceremonies plus highlights of the 2012 Games remarkably cheaply.  Lots on ebay and other sellers too.

I was about to buy it until I noticed the "Usually despatched within 6 to 7 months" bit :mellow:

35 minutes ago, BuffaloPhil said:

I was about to buy it until I noticed the "Usually despatched within 6 to 7 months" bit :mellow:

Have a look on Ebay.

6 hours ago, RoverAndOut said:

Already got it. Pretty sure I got it as soon as it came out, maybe Christmas 2012. :D Elbow's BBC Olympics theme is a masterpiece too.

I got it for that Christmas as well

The British team coming home by train today got a good reception, so too Tom Daley's tearful (second) retirement. 

Noticed Jodie Williams - I mentioned earlier - was smack in the middle of the massed ranks lining up for the photo, she might have done that because she'll announce retirement soon, she'd already indicated this would be her last Olympics. May well be the end of the funding of a few who get the basic grant for involvement in a relay squad. Thinking Richard Kilty and - maybe - Bianca Williams might decide they're done too.

1 minute ago, maryportfuncity said:

The British team coming home by train today got a good reception, so too Tom Daley's tearful (second) retirement. 

Noticed Jodie Williams - I mentioned earlier - was smack in the middle of the massed ranks lining up for the photo, she might be another to announce retirement soon, she'd already indicated this would be her last Olympics, may well be the end of the funding of a few who get the basic grant for involvement in a relay squad. Thinking Richard Kilty and - maybe - Bianca Williams might decide they're done too.

I don't think Kilty would have gone to Paris had it not been for Ujah losing him his medal from Tokyo.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RoverAndOut said:

I don't think Kilty would have gone to Paris had it not been for Ujah losing him his medal from Tokyo.

Aye, he's a dad now and also - apparently - a good coach. The man seems to live and breathe athletics, so hopefully will still be around. 

• Like 1

Breakdancing had one chance to be in the Olympics and show the world what it is about. Yet 99% of the publicity about it has been about an Aussie Ali G / Honey B wannabe who decided it would be funny to jump around like a kangaroo.

On 11/08/2024 at 22:14, The Old Crem said:

Looks like she will be banned from LA if Seb Coe becomes IOC President next year going by his actions as head of Athletics

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/article/2024/aug/11/sebastian-coe-ioc-presidency-thomas-bach-olympics

It's the same issue as Caster Semenya (DSD). How this person was allowed to fight against women in (checks notes) .. BOXING .. really boggles the mind.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/olympics/articles/c75nr7e5qd5o

‘Track cyclist Matt Richardson, who won three medals for Australia at the Paris Olympics, has switched nationality and will now represent Great Britain.’

This is quite big and surprising news. He is eligible as he was born in Kent. One suspect’s the main reason he chosen it is he is dating Emma Finucane and doesn’t want to continue a long distance relationship anymore. (The nature of Track Cycling means teams have to train together so he couldn’t live in the UK but then represent Australia). 

• Like 1

Sounds flimsy to me. What if they split up in a year's time? He's just going to go back to representing Australia? Big decision to make because of a 21-year-old girl. In other words: I suspect there is more to it than that.

• Like 1

On 19/08/2024 at 17:25, RoverAndOut said:

Sounds flimsy to me. What if they split up in a year's time? He's just going to go back to representing Australia? Big decision to make because of a 21-year-old girl. In other words: I suspect there is more to it than that.

Well, yeah, but nobody would dispute his girlfriend is really fit, right?

On 19/08/2024 at 19:25, RoverAndOut said:

They have only been together since January so it’s pretty risky. 

Good luck to all at the Paralympics. I can’t wait for it to start. For Athens and Bejing due to holidays I saw more of the Paralympics than the Olympics and in 2012 going to the stadium one night was an incredible experience. 

My enemy so far is Channel 4 adverts.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, ladyfiona said:

Annoying they cut away from so many of the participating countries.

My award for most excited goes to Brazil.

My award for best costume goes to Austria.

My award for most fruitless commentary goes to Ellie.

Bonjour again to Paris. An old friend by now, but a fantastic opening - could not stop smiling.

Para Cycling

- Silver for Men's B4000 Individual Persuit

- Silver for Women's C1-3 3000 Individual Persuit

Para Swimming

- Gold for Women's 100m Butterfly - S14

- Silver for Men's 100m Butterfly - S14

Table Tennis

- Joint Bronze (with Norway) for Women's Doubles - WD14

25 minutes ago, ladyfiona said:

Para Cycling

- Silver for Men's B4000 Individual Persuit

- Silver for Women's C1-3 3000 Individual Persuit

Para Swimming

- Gold for Women's 100m Butterfly - S14

- Silver for Men's 100m Butterfly - S14

Table Tennis

- Joint Bronze (with Norway) for Women's Doubles - WD14

For some reason Para Table Tennis is like boxing and doesn’t have Bronze medal matches. I’m not sure why as other sports here do have bronze matches 

22 hours ago, ladyfiona said:

Jeez they are bad tonight. Driving me mad. Apparently they are less intrusive on you tube. 

Won another gold in the women's swimming.

• Like 1

We are currently second in the medal table if anyone is interested.

image.png.5d1224cb3e86baf56da4bede9ad82693.png

• Love 1