Typhoid Harry

Paul Hester, 46

The following is unconfirmed:

How could he do something so wrong? Maybe he dreamt it was over?:

R.I.P. Paul Hester

by Paul Cashmere

26 March 2005

Former Split Enz/Crowded House drummer Paul Hester has taken his own life.

Peter Green, President of the Split Enz and Crowded House fanclubs broke the news to fans. "Everyone, sitting here in the office trying to figure out what to write, we are a bit messed up at the moment" his letter reads.

"Last night, our mate, and Crowded House drummer Paul Hester took his own life."

"Over the years Paul has swung the extremes of happiness and sadness, but none of us ever thought this would happen. He loved life too much, and it really seems like a bad dream that we hope we'll wake up from tomorrow."

"At the moment we are trying to look after Paul's family, he leaves behind two beautiful girls, so if people could not email us that would be appreciated during this incredibly sad time."

"It doesn't seem real, but (sadly) it is."

"I'll post more on this later on, we are all just getting our heads around this loss of one of our family."

Paul Newell Hester was born in Melbourne on January 8, 1959. His mother Ann was a jazz drummer.

Hester joined Split Enz in 1983 fresh from Deckchairs Overboard. He was recruited into the band with a reference from Midnight Oil's Rob Hirst. His first album with The Enz was 'Conflicting Emotions'. He played on the hits 'Message To My Girl' and 'Strait Old Line.

When Split Enz broke up one album later after 'See Ya Round', Hester stayed with singer/songwriter Neil Finn and together with bass player Nick Seymour, was a founding member of Crowded House.

Crowded House was an international success. 'Don't Dream It's Over' became a major hit in the USA.

Hester recently played with Tarmac Adam, a band featuring his Crowded House band-mate Nick Seymour.

He also hosted The Music Max Sessions for Australia's cable music news channel Music Max.

Bad time for drummers at the moment. I wonder if Messrs Fleetwood and Starkey have checked their life insurance recently.

From an older generation, are Buddy Rich and Gene Krupa still with us?

{threads merged - HCW}

From an older generation, are Buddy Rich and Gene Krupa still with us?

Gene Krupa died October 16 1973 of a heart attack Gene Krupa

Buddy Rich died on 2 April 1987 of heart failure Buddy Rich

Ah, thank you. I had a feeling Krupa had "upped sticks," but I could've sworn I saw Buddy Rich playing on the Performance Channel a year or so back, that's why I asked.

Obviously it was an old recording.

Buddy Rich was notoriously hard to get on with while alive, sacking band members on a whim etc.

Famously (and probabably mythically) a fellow musician phoned up Buddy Rich's house not long after his demise. His widow answered the phone to tell the musician the news that Buddy had passed on.

Ten minutes later, the phone rang again and again the widow answered. It was the same musician again asking after Buddy.

"But I told you before, Buddy died last week" she is reported to have said, whereupon the musician replied,

" I know, I just like to hear you say it."

Reportedly, his last words (replying to a nurse, who asked if anything was bothering him) were: "Yes ... country music!"

Guest One Man Jury
Buddy Rich was notoriously hard to get on with while alive, sacking band members on a whim etc.

Famously (and probabably mythically) a fellow musician phoned up Buddy Rich's house not long after his demise. His widow answered the phone to tell the musician the news that Buddy had passed on.

Ten minutes later, the phone rang again and again the widow answered. It was the same musician again asking after Buddy.

"But I told you before, Buddy died last week" she is reported to have said, whereupon the musician replied,

" I know, I just like to hear you say it."

Reportedly, his last words (replying to a nurse, who asked if anything was bothering him) were: "Yes ... country music!"

No, his last words were actually in song:

"Tie a yellow ribbon 'round the old oak tree"

Then he did!

Guest joel

Gunjaman5000, what a witty line.....oh you're so funny and so talented, you f*&kwit!

Really Joel? I thought it was kinda predictable, certainly not amongst his best work.

Gunjaman5000, what a witty line.....oh you're so funny and so talented, you f*&kwit!

Tremendous, it looks like I've arrived. Can't be considered a Death List member until one's been given the 'shift numbers' treatment. Forkwit? Folkwit? I give up.

Joel, do you think he took the weather with him?

I've not had the "Shift Numbers" treatment yet, obviously not trying hard enough.

I've not had the "Shift Numbers" treatment yet, obviously not trying hard enough.

W*&!£r.

Writer? Walker? There's probably a name for all that crap above the numbers when one hits shift but, like why people like warm beer, I'll never know. I don't need to know if my car's suspension is MacPherson Strut or Double Wishbone to drive it. Should I?

He's still dead though, isn't he?

Writer? Walker? There's probably a name for all that crap above the numbers when one hits shift but, like why people like warm beer, I'll never know. I don't need to know if my car's suspension is MacPherson Strut or Double Wishbone to drive it. Should I?

Would that be with Koni's?

Guest Guest

You betcha! Jacked up at the back with big fat mags...

You betcha! Jacked up at the back with big fat mags...

Should have logged in then, shouldn't I.