Sign in to follow this  
in eternum+

Death Of My Country

It is hard for us Brits to understand Canadian politics.

The main reason for this is the reliance on coalitions, as our first-past-the-post system normally results in an outright majority.

The other issue is the Liberal/Conservative split - North American politics have always shyed away from anything that is seen openly as left-wing.

But, most importantly, is the two nations within a nation issue - ie the English and the French, if you will.

And, of course, we in Britain are still coming to terms with our relationship between the EU compared to the old dominions.

Personally, I think Canada will be fine - changes are always needed, as our Labour Government will find out in 2009/10.

Tell me Canadian Paul, I'm I right in thinking that a Conservative victory overthere secures the Monarchy for a while longer?

Tell me Canadian Paul, I'm I right in thinking that a Conservative victory overthere secures the Monarchy for a while longer?

The word Conservative - now that's changed it's meaning in British politics recently.

I was the first to moan when "New" Labour stole the centre ground in the mid-90s to win the 1997 election, but surely David "Call me Dave" Cameron can do better than copy Tony Blair.

The Tory Party, for all their faults, are an iconically British institution. If they go over to the bleeding-heart liberal brigade, this country hasn't got much of a future to look forward to.

Perhaps I'll be going to Canada soon!

I think that you are right. There is definitely a strong monarchist sentiment over here in Canada.

There is definitely a strong monarchist sentiment over here in Canada.

That sounds a bit bizarre. I mean this: in my country the monarchy is digustingly popular, but those poor monarchist souls have the excuse that the monarch lives around the corner. What excuse do Canadian monarchists have?

Long live the republic,

Hein

Of course. We love the Queen. We had her over for a spot of tea a year or two back and ended up renaming a second highway after her at the cost of millions to taxpayers to change all the signs.

And I wouldn't mind hanging out and having a few drinks with Prince Phillip. Seems like the type of chap who I could have a good laugh with.

Guest Himler

Did you know that the USA have an official invasion plan for your country?

Personally I thought Terrence & Philip still ran things

(Suck my ass!) ;):banghead:

Not sure what to think about this ie+ (or anyone else who is interested).

Unfortunately, I don't honestly believe that Canada can have good relations with the US. For too long, Canada (and I blame Mulroney) has simply pandered to whatever the US decided was 'the right thing to do'. I was fiercely proud of being Canadian when we did not support the Iraq war (especially as I was living in England at the time!). This whole kissing the US's ass is exactly why I'm so worried about a Conservative government; namely, statements like these:

Harper's victory also was welcomed by U.S. conservative groups.

"We are glad to see that Canadians have values-voters too," said Bob Morrison of the Family Research Council, a Washington-based group opposed to abortion and gay marriage. "We can be optimistic about the end of the social engineering as driven by the Martin government."

I'm I right in thinking that a Conservative victory overthere secures the Monarchy for a while longer?

I once got invited to the annual meeting of the IODE, a group of older Canadian women kind of like the Masons (I think!). Anyway, their guest speaker (not me!!) gave a 20 minute speech about the continuing role of the monarchy in Canada. At one point she put down her cue cards, looked out into the audience, and said with great disdain: "Can you believe that there are actually Canadians who want to have the image of the Queen removed from our currency?!" Gasps and tuts abounded.

It has already happened. Wendy's bought Tim Hortons last year. ;)

And from one Cannuck to another...

;) ........ :flame:

:flame: ........ :flame:

:flame::flame::flame:

:flame: ........ :flame:

:flame: ........ :flame: appy Birthday CP!

Seemingly a Geordie is a Scotsman with his brains kicked out.

Is true that a Canadian is an American with his brains kicked out. May be I got that the wrong way round. ;)

We had her over for a spot of tea a year or two back and ended up renaming a second highway after her at the cost of millions to taxpayers to change all the signs.

Just keeping with tradition..... ;)

Guest prekash

hellos mys frieneds, canada is being a nice place to lives, myself, father,mother, sisters,brothers,cousins,uncles,and auntys, are soons to be living in canada.

Seemingly a Geordie is a Scotsman with his brains kicked out.

Is true that a Canadian is an American with his brains kicked out. May be I got that the wrong way round. :lol:

Yep, I think you got that the wrong way round.

:lol: ........  :flame:

:flame: ........  :flame:

:flame:  :flame:  :flame:

:flame: ........  :flame:  appy Birthday CP!

Yes Happy Birthday CP,

Those teen years are naught but a memory now.

Middle-age is but an eye blink away.

:lol: ........  :flame:

:flame:  :flame:  :flame:

:flame: ........  :flame:  appy Birthday CP!

Yes Happy Birthday CP,

Those teen years are naught but a memory now.

Middle-age is but an eye blink away.

Haha. Thank you both!

It was bit sad to have to delete Nirvana off of my iPod, but I suppose it comes with the territory...

It has already happened. Wendy's bought Tim Hortons last year. :lol:

And now The Bay is gone as well... Long time coming, but still sad. :(:(

It has already happened. Wendy's bought Tim Hortons last year. :lol:

And now The Bay is gone as well... Long time coming, but still sad. :(:(

We've still got Harvey's and Mr. Sub though. Best joints in town.

Looks like the United States pulled a Yuschenko on Stephen Harper after he stood up to them about Hans Island.

It's all very well and good Mr. Harper, but how about you start making a stance on softwood lumber instead of Hans Island? (Although to be honest, I am a bit surprised/impressed at the moment).

It appears to be that Canadians - who seem to have become delusional en masse - have elected a Conservative (minority) government.

Woe is Canada.

Last time we had a Conservative government, we were pretty much f*cked by our "friends" to the south, and are still paying for it.

I shall now have my own mini-moment of silence, as I mourn the (hopefully temporary) demise of Canada as a great country. :P

Such is life I don';t hjave much interest in Canada anyway especially since they canceolled Seargent Preston and also King Of Kensington.

Looks like the United States pulled a Yuschenko on Stephen Harper after he stood up to them about Hans Island.
Although Harper has described himself in the House of Commons as a "lifelong sufferer from asthma," his office said Friday morning that Harper has outgrown his childhood asthma and hasn't had an attack in years.

However, the 46-year-old politician had pneumonia a few years ago and remains susceptible to colds, his office said.

During the recent election campaign, which ended with his Conservatives winning a minority government, Harper told the Sun newspaper chain that his asthma frequently put him in hospital emergency wards for treatment.

[wishful thinking] Outside possibility for 2007? [/wishful thinking]

Although Harper has described himself in the House of Commons as a "lifelong sufferer from asthma," his office said Friday morning that Harper has outgrown his childhood asthma and hasn't had an attack in years.

However, the 46-year-old politician had pneumonia a few years ago and remains susceptible to colds, his office said.

During the recent election campaign, which ended with his Conservatives winning a minority government, Harper told the Sun newspaper chain that his asthma frequently put him in hospital emergency wards for treatment.

If so, he'd be the youngest of deceased Prime Ministers.

It would not make much of a difference if Steven Harper were to die. He would just be replaced by another conservative Prime Minister.

It would not make much of a difference if Steven Harper were to die. He would just be replaced by another conservative Prime Minister.

If any prime minister died they would be replaced.

It would make a difference to our 2007 list, if he were on it.

True, although they might replace him with someone who has a spine.

In all fairness though, right now I'm thinking it could be worse. I mean, he's (relatively) young, so he's not set in stone in all his beliefs and ways. Also, if he stood up to America on Hans Island, maybe he'll be willing to do so on softwood lumber? It remains to be seen I guess.