Sign in to follow this  
Guest iain

Failure Of The Death List?

Byron Nelson had the nickname "Lord Byron" because of his elegant swing and chivalrous demeanor.

Thank you quite kindly CarolAnn. I knew somewhere someplace somehow sometime something somebody would respond to my question,. Now I can resume my starting of the consumptiion of beverages with a freeer mind.

Would you or anyone else happen to have a photograph of Lord Byrons' elegant swing?

Morning has arrived and the birds are cackling wildly.

The epochal 2003 list had three deaths in as many days.

As many dayss as what??@

THREE DEATHS IN AS MANY DAYS - IT'S AN EXPRESSION!

Actually I'm wrong. There were 3 deaths in two days (8-10 Sept), but there was actually

a death on the 12th, so it's FOUR DEATHS IN AS MANY DAYS (4 deaths in 4 days)

see for yourself - http://www.deathlist.net/?y=2003&news=1

Is that clear? :banghead:

it strikeths meow odd that since the most recent deathing of Lord Byron Nelson (why has yet not nobody of any repute confirmed or refuted my wondered wonderings of wherther or not he was indeed a Lord and when dieing does one retain Lordship or are they reduced to back regular status,?

Byron Nelson had the nickname "Lord Byron" because of his elegant swing and chivalrous demeanor.

Correct, Lord Byron and Byron Nelson were two different people, although there was poetry in Nelson's swing.

it strikeths meow odd that since the most recent deathing of Lord Byron Nelson (why has yet not nobody of any repute confirmed or refuted my wondered wonderings of wherther or not he was indeed a Lord and when dieing does one retain Lordship or are they reduced to back regular status,?

Correct, Lord Byron and Byron Nelson were two different people, although there was poetry in Nelson's swing.

Was he related to Horatio Nelson? Or Nelson Mandela?

Thank you quite kindly CarolAnn. I knew somewhere someplace somehow sometime something somebody would respond to my question,. Now I can resume my starting of the consumptiion of beverages with a freeer mind.

Would you or anyone else happen to have a photograph of Lord Byrons' elegant swing?

Morning has arrived and the birds are cackling wildly.

There's a very amateurishly done analysis of Nelson's swing on You Tube, but it shows Nelson playing. Skip the first 30 seconds - wait through the breaks - don't get weirded out from where the guy slows video down without removing the audio. Sounds like he's playing golf in the veldt or something.

I think it's too early to write off this year as a failure but it has been a mediocre performance, especially in the light of 12.5% of our success being the deadpool gift that was Lou Rawles. I think greater success for 2007 depends on selecting some more obscure but obit-worthy candidates. I will maintain my campaign for the likes of Edward Upward and/or Michael DeBakey to be included. Whether they're household names is less important these days when anyone can be famous for a fleeting second. The two above will get national obits, DeBakey an international one.

I think it's too early to write off this year as a failure but it has been a mediocre performance, especially in the light of 12.5% of our success being the deadpool gift that was Lou Rawles. I think greater success for 2007 depends on selecting some more obscure but obit-worthy candidates. I will maintain my campaign for the likes of Edward Upward and/or Michael DeBakey to be included. Whether they're household names is less important these days when anyone can be famous for a fleeting second. The two above will get national obits, DeBakey an international one.

MPFC, have you taken leave of your senses? it's not often I disagree with you but on this one I think you're pissing up the wrong tree, offering a recipe for dullness and tedium. These people are not even the Carlisle Uniteds of the obits columns. Conversation pieces they are not. The Maryport horse is more famous than these two. The deathlist should be competitive, yes, but it has to sparkle with lots of groovy picks. I doubt if either of them are household names, not even in their own households. Apart from that I agree with you 100 per cent.

Last night I had a look at a site which keeps track of noted nonogenarians (including a sizable number of Cinematographers - must be the celluloid!).

Here's the link

There's a fair few and I'm not sure that all of them would make the obits. Some of these have

been mentioned as candidates before. I've made a list of possibles...

Ruby Mahommed - Nation of Islam (b.1897)

Zheng Ji - Biologist (b.1900)

Boris Efimov - Cartoonist/Propagandist (b.1900)

Sir Arthur Marshall - Aviator (b.1903)

Frank Stanton - US TV executive (b.1908)

Charles Forte - Hotelier (b.1908)

Dame Elisabeth Murdoch - Philantropist and mother of Rupert (b.1909)

Gloria Stuart - Actress (b.1910)

Ronald Neame - Filmmaker (b.1911)

Peter Rogers - Film Producer (Carry Ons) (b.1914)

Phil Drabble - TV Presenter (One Man and his Dog) (b.1914)

Norman Lloyd - Actor (b.1914)

Anna Wing - Actress (Eastenders) (b.1914)

Peter Copley - Actor (b. 1915)

Joao Havelange - Ex-President of FIFA (b.1916)

Olaf Pooley - Actor (b.1916)

MPFC, have you taken leave of your senses? it's not often I disagree with you but on this one I think you're pissing up the wrong tree, offering a recipe for dullness and tedium. These people are not even the Carlisle Uniteds of the obits columns. Conversation pieces they are not. The Maryport horse is more famous than these two. The deathlist should be competitive, yes, but it has to sparkle with lots of groovy picks. I doubt if either of them are household names, not even in their own households. Apart from that I agree with you 100 per cent.

Well said that man.

Edward Upward is even more boring than Ingmar Bergman and that's saying something.

We have tons of good exciting candidates for next year, it's up to DL if they choose any or if they choose people more boring than Welsh Assembly - LIVE - 24 hour rolling coverage.

Well said that man.

Edward Upward is even more boring than Ingmar Bergman and that's saying something.

We have tons of good exciting candidates for next year, it's up to DL if they choose any or if they choose people more boring than Welsh Assembly - LIVE - 24 hour rolling coverage.

But who's more likely to cark it?

But who's more likely to cark it?

Oh c'mon MIB!

Shoko Asahara, Allen Carr, Fidel Castro, Lansana Conte, Charlie Drake, Freddie Fender, Mark Felt, Alan Freeman, Zsa Zsa Gabor, Estelle Getty, Lee Hazlewood, Jesse Helms, Jack Kevorkian, Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Maurice Papon, Ferenc Puskas, Bobby Robson, Yitzhak Shamir, Ariel Sharon, Jeremy Thorpe

All exciting candidates in terms of health or execution.

Then we have:

Brooke Astor, Harold Pinter, Suharto, Lady Bird Johnson, Gerald Ford, Kurt Waldheim, Billy Graham, Muhammad Ali, Charlton Heston & George Melly already.

Hey presto, 30 exciting candidates, all with as good a chance as boring boring Upward.

So are you suggesting that DL come up with a 'sexier' list rather than have candidates

that may have some not-so-famous people who are likely to die?

So are you suggesting that DL come up with a 'sexier' list rather than have candidates

that may have some not-so-famous people who are likely to die?

No, the list will still have people quite likely to die, but well known ones. That's the whole point of deadpooling. The lady down our road isn't going to live the week out but I wouldn't put her on the deathlist. What's happened is that some are playing strictly by the letter of the rules so if you want to have people like Vladimir Syromyatnikov, the soviet scientist who invented a docking mechanism for spacecraft (Telegraph obits today) go ahead, but it's not going to be easy to discuss him.

Aye some lively debate about death, luvverly.

Godot; I don't think we're that far apart. My main point is that we're missing a few who are almost Lou Rawle level certs. We've got fifty picks, plenty of room for sexy, sick and - a few - certain.

Re Mr Upward, whilst it's not good to get fixated on any example in this argument he is summat of decent case in point. He's not that dull, having hung around in the days when it was cool to be a commie and betray your country. As interesting - say - as Bergman. Debate dies in the Deathlist when there's nowt to discover. Look at the dire state of a few of the threads down the bottom. I mean, honest, we try with Tony F*****g Curtis but once you've got past his monster ego there's nowt else there, not even a sniff of ill health. One or two of the more marginal types pitched into places like the CPDP do withstand some digging and make interesting threads on the forum. If we were waiting for Edward Upward for a few months next year we'd probably dig up his poems, re-write and abuse them, giving us summat to get our teeth into.

Sure, I want famous names and the rest but people who've spent their career producing work which is now discarded make better threads than people who did summat once - like refuse to give up a seat on a segregated bus. I think the Al Lewis thread this year a good example, we found out loads about a politically active unidexter with a highly dubious date of birth. Fair kept the posts flowing while his blood still flowed did that little mountain of discoveries.

As far as dead certs are concerned, Lee Hazlewood looks a good bet, providing he survives the year.

Same for Allen Carr.....

The fear is missing out on the biggies - surely Fidel (who was in 05 but out 06) has got to

be in future DL's.

As far as dead certs are concerned, Lee Hazlewood looks a good bet, providing he survives the year.

Same for Allen Carr.....

The fear is missing out on the biggies - surely Fidel (who was in 05 but out 06) has got to

be in future DL's.

But you criticised all three, when I listed them, as being "too sexy". :)

I never said that at all OoO!

In a Death list of 50, there's always going to be room for also rans like Updike.

I shall do my DDP on the criteria of

1. Whether I've heard of them

2. The likelihood of their death and

3. The points that could be accrued from making such a prediction

There's always the dilemma of knowing about a famous or noted person being ill

and likely to die because of their unfortunate circumstances. But points mean prizes

and needs must... :)

Aye some lively debate about death, luvverly.

Godot; I don't think we're that far apart. My main point is that we're missing a few who are almost Lou Rawle level certs. We've got fifty picks, plenty of room for sexy, sick and - a few - certain.

Re Mr Upward, whilst it's not good to get fixated on any example in this argument he is summat of decent case in point. He's not that dull, having hung around in the days when it was cool to be a commie and betray your country. As interesting - say - as Bergman. Debate dies in the Deathlist when there's nowt to discover. Look at the dire state of a few of the threads down the bottom. I mean, honest, we try with Tony F*****g Curtis but once you've got past his monster ego there's nowt else there, not even a sniff of ill health. One or two of the more marginal types pitched into places like the CPDP do withstand some digging and make interesting threads on the forum. If we were waiting for Edward Upward for a few months next year we'd probably dig up his poems, re-write and abuse them, giving us summat to get our teeth into.

Sure, I want famous names and the rest but people who've spent their career producing work which is now discarded make better threads than people who did summat once - like refuse to give up a seat on a segregated bus. I think the Al Lewis thread this year a good example, we found out loads about a politically active unidexter with a highly dubious date of birth. Fair kept the posts flowing while his blood still flowed did that little mountain of discoveries.

As always some good arguments MPFC although I don't quite buy them all. Al Lewis was quite a bit sexier than either of these geezers. But there's plenty of scope to debate them outside the actual list. Why not post an Upward gem if there is one on the dead poets list? You'd have thought Tony Curtis would have done better. After all he was almost eaten by crabs in The Vikings which would have merited inclusion in your screen deaths thread.

Sexy or not Godot, the point about Al Lewis' was the revelations of a bit part actor in the lunatic/eccentric end of politics and the other colourful aspects of his life. Probably my favourite thread in the current top fifty.

And I was never a huge fan of The Munsters.