Sign in to follow this  
Guest iain

Failure Of The Death List?

Guest iain

I t has come to my attention that dozens and dozens of famous or partially famous people have died this year so far ,yet only 2 of them are on this years death list.Surely this has to be counted as a monumental failure of prediction?

We really are going to have to do better for 2007..is there no way we can come up with a better method of more accurately predicting deaths???Anyone have any ideas?This simply isnt good enough!

Partially famous people aren't really good enough,

the DeathList isn't doing too badly, one death a month is about average.

Why so many question marks iain, calm down there's a good chap.

Guest iain

half the people on the list arent realy famous anyway!

Guest iain

a successful death list would be hitting at least 30-40 deaths out of 50!..12 is less than a 25% success rate..that is pretty poor by any normal standards!

Last years recording breaking DDP team Fallen Sparrow only managed a 60% hit rate,

with DeathList's higher standards of famousness a hit rate of 30-40 out of 50 (60-80%) would be nigh on impossible.

If it's so easy iain I imagine you'll be winning the DDP this year with a record score. :D

a successful death list would be hitting at least 30-40 deaths out of 50!..12 is less than a 25% success rate..that is pretty poor by any normal standards!

There is a lot more famous on the list than the nonenteties you resurrect from the bowels of Andy Warhols cliche.

And Im an amateur!!

Stop your moaning iain, the deathlist has standards to maintain.

Indeed, we have missed one or two that we probably should have got which is fairly annoying.

What is even more annoying is when members start a 'deaths door' rant whenever a candidate so much as sneezes!

Indeed, we have missed one or two that we probably should have got which is fairly annoying.

What is even more annoying is when members start a 'deaths door' rant whenever a candidate so much as sneezes!

Sneezing can be a sign of a serious illness (e.g. Plague)

In all fairness a good hearty harsh sneeze can lead to neadign a hearse since in a really big sneeze one could snap their neck or fall forward and split their head open on the sharp corner of the coffee table or fall directly to the floor or sneeze while walking down the stairs and plummet headlong head first down the steps then bounce off the marble slab tiles at the bottom and then be sent richocheting through the glass panes of the door where the glass would sever several important arterial blood routes. And to think......all this caused my one merciless sneeze.

Thanks for that, but you know what I mean Lady Die.

sincet oyuy are from Fraseburgh I was wondreing if you knowe this man name d Fraser who came froim scotland several years ago.,?

Whom do you refer to when you make that statement?

He maens he is talking on about that half the people who he so neeedlessly rants ant raves and pists about.

He maens he is talking on about that half the people who he so neeedlessly rants ant raves and pists about.

yeah, but which half? :D

Far as I'm concerned a person is as famous as they are in a particular field.

When Sir Peter Masefield died last month, possibly he wasn't that well known to many people. But seeing the tributes coming in about him on an aviation website, he was very well known and liked.

I've never even heard of half the people that Iain posts the death of, I like some of the obscure ones as it gives me something to look into, but with a lot of them it's a bit like reading someone's aunt Mabel has died

sincet oyuy are from Fraseburgh I was wondreing if you knowe this man name d Fraser who came froim scotland several years ago.,?

I'm afraid I don't know that Fraser.

Sneezing can be a sign of a serious illness (e.g. Plague)

I'm getting better.

:D

Seriously, I've got nothing this morning.

Hay don't knock Iain too much. In a way he is right. 2 deaths from 50 names in 67.5 days would calculate to a year end total of 10.82rec deaths.

Its all a bit hit and miss, my 68 name list has 5 hits already.

I entered a new deadpool just the other day with a list of twenty names and got a hit within 12 hours.

My 10 name Hartleypool list is scoreless.

Question is how should the list be drawn up. As many members know I favour a more open discussion - even thinking we should stage a convention / christmas party! We could send out invites to those nice people on the list (who are not in jail) but who are still with us, so they could partake in a bit of a knees-up and have a jolly fun time!

Oh and buy the way - question need to be asked about the famousness critia again. The Lee Attwater site has an interesting perspective in that they do send out some sort of a questionaire for the public to judge if the proposed names are known. If not enough people know the pick then that name is disallowed and no substitution is allowed.

Guest Guest

Among the Misses for this year:

Shelley Winters

Coretta Scott King

Don Knotts

Dana Reeve

These people were all known to be in failing health at the end of '05. All had either been hospitalized with serious illnesses or like Reeve had inoperable forms of cancer.

Among the Misses for this year:

Shelley Winters

Coretta Scott King

Don Knotts

Dana Reeve

These people were all known to be in failing health at the end of '05. All had either been hospitalized with serious illnesses or like Reeve had inoperable forms of cancer.

Don't forget former Sports Minister Tony Banks, he suffered a stroke last year and then two more in January finished him off.

I'm pretty new to the site, but if you take into account also the number of "celebrities" or well known people that get discussed on the site often people that were discussed a while back get forgotten about.

But then again as Rotten Ali has said, it's a bit hit and miss.

Out of my top 50, I've so far got 4 hits. On one I'm playing for money, I only have one. There have been a couple this year that I had hopefully pencilled in for next year and then they died.

And to top it all in previous years I've dropped people in favour of someone else, the person I dropped died and the one I picked survived. Denis Thatcher, Thora Hird, Gretchen Franklin and Ronnie Barker. All died the year I dropped them from my lists.

But the main thing is to remember is that it is just for fun, but in the past couple of days where it was posted that Sir Patrick Moore was "gravely ill" however in the media it was quoted as being a standard procedure for him to have a pacemaker fitted.

Unless something goes drastically wrong, I can see him being released by the end of the weekend.

I don't believe the picks this year to be a failure, granted there have been a couple that have been missed and in fact one I've never even thought of or heard of Lou Rawls, mostly because I don't really listen to that style of music so I had never heard of him until he died.

Yes we give Iain a bit of stick when he posts obscure people on the Near Misses thread, it's called harmless banter. But we shouldn't make a deathlist a personal thing. I may be wrong on this but Iain does often give the impression that he'd like to see the people on the list die, but in the same breath he'd flame anyone he believes to be disrespectful of someone who has just died (the Dana Reeve thread is an example of this)

We're playing a game of prediction, so why don't we all calm down. Give ourselves a pat on the back when we get one right and kick ourselves when we miss one?

The real failure of DeathList is the fact this site keeps going down, and is often running very,very slowly.

Bloody Annoying it is.

Hay don't knock Iain too much. In a way he is right. 2 deaths from 50 names in 67.5 days would calculate to a year end total of 10.82rec deaths.

Yes well, it's evident that some people take this dead pool business a tad too far....

Being in the States rather than UK, I'm a bit perplexed by the Death List.

Lots of unknown names....and I'd think statistically....based on ages-at-death...at least 12 to 16 of these folks would "fall off" the list .....in a "good" year.

Andy Griffith...the old fart will probably NEVER die.

Jane Wyam, 94

Jackie Cooper

Boris Yletsin

Yes well, it's evident that some people take this dead pool business a tad too far....

Sometimes going beyond limits is what others crave.

It is what clarify's an individual great. It isn't it?

Since I mentioned it hear a few post back. I'm having a bit of trouble with getting my 56 points for Dana Reeve. The people running it say she died the day before it was anounced US timings) and hence on the day my pool team was entered. Anyone know exact local time of Dana's death. Please also view your understandings of the finer points relating to picking live people one day and them dieing a few hours latter but still in an earlier date due to time differences? I'm not happy and feel quite hard done by!