Sign in to follow this  
maryportfuncity

Great Gigs In The Sky

This from the official site of the band Caravan:

Richard Coughlan, is now recovering well from a form of rheumatoid arthritis, which was brought on by a blood disorder, a form described as 'reactive'. Although he doesn't expect a full recovery, Richard is optimistic that he can now almost play drums for a full set, but he has to build up his strength, stamina and flexibility in his hands

I'd heard a rumour the blood problem was luekemia, obviously not. Might be a great gig or two on stage before the big 'un int' sky.

Looks like there's life left in the Zeppelin dog.

If you know music, you would know that Jimmy Page is at least in the top guitarists of all - time. I mean as the years go by the more his face caves in and the more he looks Chinese - but they are truly a legendary band. I never really like Robert Plant that much, anybody who tries to go solo after breaking up with the main band never amounts to the potential they originally had.

anybody who tries to go solo after breaking up with the main band never amounts to the potential they originally had.

I'd say Neil Young's an honourable exception to the rule, done more solo since 1974 than the other three solo and in combination. Effectively he runs CSNY now, if he wants a reunion, it'll happen.

anybody who tries to go solo after breaking up with the main band never amounts to the potential they originally had.

Apart from Robbie Williams.

Oh aye, and Rod Stewart, not that I'm a fan, like.

Oh aye, and Rod Stewart, not that I'm a fan, like.

And Bjork.

And Sting.

And Michael Jackson.

And Paul Weller.

More to follow...

And Sting.

Hmmm, debatable I'd say, shite solo IMHO, album sales not up to Police averages. Never a good sign when middle age - kind of - forces the reunion.

And Sting.

sorry MC, but the worst Police song (Tea in the Sahara, perhaps?) is still better than the best Sting song.

And Sting.

sorry MC, but the worst Police song (Tea in the Sahara, perhaps?) is still better than the best Sting song.

Fair enough, I'm not going by my favourite artists but by the fact they sold lots of records by themselves. I thought that was the jist, I'm sorry. I think Ten Summoners Tales must have gone at least platinum, I'm sure a keen googler woud tell me. However someone like Gary Barlow should definitely not have bothered.

I'll add a few more who you'll probably think are contentious..

Ozzy Osbourne.

Eric Clapton.

Justin Timberlake.

Peter Gabriel.

Brian Wilson.

And Sting.

Fair enough, I'm not going by my favourite artists but by the fact they sold lots of records by themselves. I thought that was the jist, I'm sorry. I think Ten Summoners Tales must have gone at least platinum, I'm sure a keen googler woud tell me. However someone like Gary Barlow should definitely not have bothered.

I'll add a few more who you'll probably think are contentious..

Ozzy Osbourne.

Eric Clapton.

Justin Timberlake.

Peter Gabriel.

Brian Wilson.

Madonna. She was in some sh*t band before going solo.

Paul McCartney. OK, he's not as good as The Beatles, but I don't think anyone could say he hasn't had a successful solo career.

Will Smith. Sold loads since he ditched Jazzy Jeff. :)

Aye, now there's a point. Some - like Madonna - flirted with shite bands and made it on their own. Like a geezer who used to be in Ugly Rumours gannin' on to be prime minister for a decade. Nah, not quite sure I've got the hang of this.

I think basically we are trying to say that the original argument lacked substance. There are people out there who have continued to show potential after ditching the band. Then there are those who have formed new and equally famous bands, with great potential.

Forgot to add - good call with Will Smith and Jizzy Jeff.

the original statement to which we were responding was, I believe,: "anybody who tries to go solo after breaking up with the main band never amounts to the potential they originally had." There are exceptions to this, but when you think of the people who have gone solo (Mick Jagger, Paul McCartney, Robert Plant, Ian Brown, etc.) not many.

Anyway, MC, don't ever feel the need to apologise for an opinion in a post. They're all good.

I was going to post what you said before Ronnie, but I mean besides Mick Jagger - Paul McCartney and a few others who actually makes it? Those names are the greatest in Rock N Rolls history, not even David Lee Roth got much attention after he broke up with Van Halen besides one album. In life you know when you reach your height, once you jump it's a long climb.

Typo or intentional crudeness? Let me guess..... :)

Typo or intentional crudeness? Let me guess..... :)

Yup you guessed right, the I and the E are practically nextdoor to each other (but not before C) on my keyboard.

Edit - Buggar that'll be A not E, however the sarcasm still holds.

Richard Ashcroft and his former mates have rediscovered their Verve. If this warring band can re-unite I guess it's possible their may be life in The Stone Roses and even The Smiths, given the right offers.

Another 'legendary' name who haven't - quite - played their last. The Yardbirds are coming back. I think, we've had successful DL hits who been born and died since this lot last did a proper gig.

Another 'legendary' name who haven't - quite - played their last. The Yardbirds are coming back. I think, we've had successful DL hits who been born and died since this lot last did a proper gig.

What with the (alleged) Zep reunion, old Zoso's in for a busy time.

Maybe he'll try for the hat-trick and give Neil Christian and the Crusaders another go while he's at it. Although a quick google suggests Mr Christian may be headed for the Missing In Action thread.

A version of the Yardbirds have been going for years, but without any of the superstar guitarists who obviously have better things to do with their time than play gigs to half-empty provincial theatres.

Without Page and Jeff Beck (who is one of the most underrated guitarists ever) I don't see the reunion.

That's the whole point Banshees, this line up boasts Page and Beck so it IS The Yardbirds, no question.

Eric Clapton that scum bag won't be participating.

I can't believe Eric Clapton is still Eric Clapton, it doesn't even look like Clapton anymore.