Death Watch Beatle

Serious Contenders for Next Years List

Dear Cup,

I mentioned Norden yesterday in the main suggestions thread. I know you were there. I saw your name. What have they been putting in your tea?

Evidentely, a lot of those older suggestions were pretty damn good.

And I still haven't found the time to pull out the more recent suggestions.

Therefore, not to be caught out twice, DWB's "serious" contender for next year (without very much to go on) is Carroll Shelby - the Mustang muscle car bloke.

Caroll Shelby is a good choice. Suffered with heart problems for aeons until he had a heart transplant back in 1990 (ish). Since then, it has given him a new lease of life, but now in his 80's, with previous heart problems and being overweight, I wouldn't be surprised to see him go.

Another car related person that is possible would be Toulo de Graffenried, now 91 & winner of the 1949 British GP.

Peter Sallis will be 85 next year, not 95.

I've removed Ronnie Biggs from my list as Charles Clarke, the Home Secretary said he wasn't suffering from a terminal illness, despite Biggs' pleas. I do take a lot of what Michael Biggs says with a pinch of salt. He's not a well man, I admit, but I think he'll go on, or that's what I'm risking.

Also taking out Michael Gough. He's old, frail, but still active.

Worth thinking about that haven't been suggested anywhere else (I think):

Eric Tindill, oldest test cricketer & international rugby player, 95

Al Molinaro, star of Happy Days, 87

Malcolm Allison, football manager & now very ill

Ma><ine Edington, the terminally ill woman who sang that song with Billy Bragg recently

Bruce Bennett, the actor, now 96, I think.

Peter Sallis will be 85 next year, not 95.

I've removed Ronnie Biggs from my list as Charles Clarke, the Home Secretary said he wasn't suffering from a terminal illness, despite Biggs' pleas. I do take a lot of what Michael Biggs says with a pinch of salt. He's not a well man, I admit, but I think he'll go on, or that's what I'm risking.

Also taking out Michael Gough. He's old, frail, but still active.

Worth thinking about that haven't been suggested anywhere else (I think):

Eric Tindill, oldest test cricketer & international rugby player, 95

Al Molinaro, star of Happy Days, 87

Malcolm Allison, football manager & now very ill

Ma><ine Edington, the terminally ill woman who sang that song with Billy Bragg recently

Bruce Bennett, the actor, now 96, I think.

Brucey will be 99 according to IMDB and many other sources... but like a lot of people his age, his birthdate is not an exactly known fact (to most people anyhow).

I like the way you think Octo, against the grain but not foolishly so.

Brucey will be 99 according to IMDB and many other sources... but like a lot of people his age, his birthdate is not an exactly known fact (to most people anyhow).

Well, he was born Herman Brix & after checking www.ancestry.com it says that he was born circa 1907. But then look at Eddie Albert, two years older all that time & until he died, no-one (no-one being the casual observer) really knew.