Sign in to follow this  
maryportfuncity

Deathrace 2010

Deathracers  

16 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

People, I can only apologise for the persistent lack of action hereabouts. I'm proposing to put this non-event of a competition out of its misery at this point unless anyone objects. Technically the top two places could be under threat, especially if all of Geronimo's surviving picks die in the next twelve hours...unlikely IMHO.

So having suffered a dearth of early death this year, and subsequently pissed on my own parade by picking the clear leading team, I propose to do the decent thing and pay out the winnings by means of buying Paul and his mates a round of drinks next week. I trust the other contestants will be okay with this. Paul and his mates are the only persons to have watched this unfolding apology of a dead pool with any delight since they appear to feel they have 'done over' several of us intellectual giants with their deft selections. Maybe I overplayed our qualifications during matey banter with Paul at work. Paul's mob - at least - want to go head to head with all again next year.

Speaking of which...I do intend to run a new Deathrace next year and sincerely hope sudden deaths will keep it interesting and we'll have a winner within a few weeks, like we did in 2009.

I also wonder about a new rule to ensure this. Would it be worth a 'Dirty Dozen' option, allowing contestents to enter either a reduced team of 12 of the lowest hanging fruits on offer or a copy of their DDP line up? Given the incredibly permissive obit-count rules (i.e. it counts for Deathrace if it's in a local paper) we could have a continued cacocophany of carnage until we declare an early winner.

I also have one more rule change up my sleeve.

Are a few of you up for some fast and furtive fun in 2011?

As I haven't had a hit for 6 months, no objections here. Count me in for next year. I have no preference on the Dirty Dozen option (aren't most of them dead already? Ernest Borgnine might be worth a few points though) as I can't see what advantage that would give.

Apologies if the Dirty Dozen was misunderstood.

Basically, I mean you could pick a specific Deathrace team of 12 conspicious low-hangers, including hideously old people, tabloid friendly terminal cases fighting forlornly for treatment they will never receive etc.

You get the idea...I'm warming to it anyway. 12 of these OR 20 of your normal DDP team.

Basically, I mean you could pick a specific Deathrace team of 12 conspicious low-hangers, including hideously old people, tabloid friendly terminal cases fighting forlornly for treatment they will never receive etc.

You get the idea...I'm warming to it anyway. 12 of these OR 20 of your normal DDP team.

Sounds more fun to go with a low hanging fruit team - so I'll have that route please.

Now I understand - I was suffering from an over-indulgence of wine when I didn't get it yesterday!!

As ever, I'm happy to go with whichever set of rules lets me win.

A round of drinks has been consumed by the victorious team...who have indicated they intend to defend their hard-won title!