Sign in to follow this  
Guest IYG

J. D. Salinger

Guest IYG

I'm surprised he is still alive, I thought he died long ago but no, he is alive and 86 years old.

Does anyone have any news about his health?

And on the subject of writers, Arthur C. Clarke will be 88 this year.

He was a canidate last year.

Guest IYG

He was a canidate last year.

I know but he's not getting any younger. :o

On a different manner, I'm watching a documentary about the Apollo program, are there any astronauts who might be a good choice for next year's list?

On a different manner, I'm watching a documentary about the Apollo program, are there any astronauts who might be a good choice for next year's list?

There are 2 astronauts that I have in mind, but I have not heard any recent news regarding their health:

• Senator John Glenn, 83 years old - born June 18th, 1921
  • Neil Armstrong, 74 years old - born August, 5th, 1930

I picked Senator John Glenn as one of my selections for the 2005 ddp. :o

I'm surprised he is still alive, I thought he died long ago but no, he is alive and 86 years old.

As he's famously reclusive, I think news on his health would be hard to come by.

Unless he gets admitted to hospital/nursing home of course.

Guest IYG
Pretty much what i was going to say.

so ignore this unneccesary post.

And how is it unneccesary?

I asked a question and got an answer, you simply agreed with someone else so in fact your post is even more unneccesary than my "unneccesary" post.

in fact your post is even more unneccesary than my "unneccesary" post.

Another unnecessary post, but, perhaps 'unneccesary' has a slightly different meaning to unnecessary ;) .

Another piece of unnecessary pedantry.

As he's famously reclusive, I think news on his health would be hard to come by.

Unless he gets admitted to hospital/nursing home of course.

I think there are plenty of old authors, that it would be easier to find information about.

I'm thinking of Len Deighton, Ed McBain, D.G. Hessayon.

I think there are plenty of old authors, that it would be easier to find information about.

For the 87th time I have to ask is this Salinger fellow really worth a plug nickel of our time? I mean if you had mentioned bringing the REAL Salinger (Pierre) into this Jungle I might well have gone for it but this discussion seems to be somewhat of a somehting for the Birds, but yet I do not give up Hope that you'll enlighten me as to why I'd care about a person who wrote one of the most boring books I've ever been faced with. Yuck! I could barely get through 4 paragraphs before needing to be rushed to the hospital due to severe boredom.

Now moving back to the others, of course Sal Lombino is still alive although his work has slowed since his marriage to wife number 3 (or was it 4?), he is scheduled to be 79 in October of this year so still slightly on the young side. Len Deighton? Who knows. Who else all did you mention?

Oh and did you know, were you aware that Larry Block is still alive? Must be pushing 90 around now.

For the 87th time I have to ask is this Salinger fellow really worth a plug nickel of our time? I mean if you had mentioned bringing the REAL Salinger (Pierre) into this Jungle I might well have gone for it but this discussion seems to be somewhat of a somehting for the Birds, but yet I do not give up Hope that you'll enlighten me as to why I'd care about a person who wrote one of the most boring books I've ever been faced with. Yuck! I could barely get through 4 paragraphs before needing to be rushed to the hospital due to severe boredom.

Okay fair enough, you don't like him.

But then isn't that a reason to be glad, when he shuffles off this mortal coil?

For the 87th time I have to ask is this Salinger fellow really worth a plug nickel of our time? I mean if you had mentioned bringing the REAL Salinger (Pierre) into this Jungle I might well have gone for it ...

Of course, Pierre has had a previous mention on this board.

Unfortunately, it was purely to note his death

in fact your post is even more unneccesary than my "unneccesary" post.

Another unnecessary post, but, perhaps 'unneccesary' has a slightly different meaning to unnecessary :D .

Another piece of unnecessary pedantry.

B)

I taught myself to read using cereal packets.

Obviously i did a poor job.

I taught myself to read using cereal packets.

Obviously i did a poor job.

Probably just needed a better cereal. I always enjoyed rye flakes myself-- bathed in a bath of well aged rye they make a very good breakfast.

Of course JD Salinger is worth our time and he certainly qualifies. I set up a thread ages ago on this board about the number of long-living authors. Two other recluses of note Robert M Pirsig (b 1929) and Harper Lee (b 1926) are still going strong.

I always enjoyed rye flakes myself-- bathed in a bath of well aged rye they make a very good breakfast.

[HOMER]Hmmm, rye flakes.[/HOMER]

I wonder if that works with soggies and single malt whisky. It sounds a bit decadent.

Not that there's something wrong with decadence. :huh:

regards,

Hein

I always enjoyed rye flakes myself-- bathed in a bath of well aged rye they make a very good breakfast.

I wonder if that works with soggies and single malt whisky. It sounds a bit decadent.

Although generally opposed to the adulteration of Single Malt, I'd be interested to hear about the results of that experiment, if you perform it Hein.

How about Cheerios with Hendrick's Gin? puke.gif

Although generally opposed to the adulteration of Single Malt, I'd be interested to hear about the results of that experiment, if you perform it Hein.

I'll give it a try, perhaps next weekend. It's a bit late for breakfast now and Monday morning doesn't seem to be the right time for such an experiment.

Anyway, I'll follow-up with the results.

regards,

Hein

I have had cornflakes with cheap red wine for breakfast once. Not really recommended.

Day 1 of the Deathlist and we already have a birthday! J.D. Salinger is 87 and hasn't done anything public for the last four decades.

Wow, doing the age calculation for 2006 felt weird... I wanted to impulsively say 86.

Too bad there's never any news on Salinger's health... or anything else concerning him for that matter.

When I logged on from the 2006 DL the thread didn't bear much relation to the great man and his works. I know hideous consumer excess in a vacuous society is a Salinger theme but surely Ms Wlidesteen's appearance on his thread is a mistake.

[Threads merged - ff]

Edited by football_fan

When I logged on from the 2006 DL the thread didn't bear much relation to the great man and his works. I know hideous consumer excess in a vacuous society is a Salinger theme but surely Ms Wlidesteen's appearance on his thread is a mistake.

I don't think the links are quite working yet. He does have his own thread ripe for the picking though. It's called "Catcher in the Rye" floating around somewhere.

Day 1 of the Deathlist and we already have a birthday! J.D. Salinger is 87 and hasn't done anything public for the last four decades.

Wow, doing the age calculation for 2006 felt weird... I wanted to impulsively say 86.

Too bad there's never any news on Salinger's health... or anything else concerning him for that matter.

Don't know much about him besides he's an author and that his book

"Catcher In The Rye" was compulsively read by Mark Chapman

John Lennon's killer. They say the moment after he shot Lennon

dead on that warm December night he went right back to the part

in the book where he left off.

I have had cornflakes with cheap red wine for breakfast once. Not really recommended.

It wasn't that bad and in point of factuals I went back and had a second bowl...although I neglected the corn flakes the second time.